Buying Plane logs say replaced prop/Bearings

Tony_Scarpelli

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tony_Scarpelli
I'm looking to buy a Cherokee and the logs say replaced the prop and bearings but nothing about a tear down inspection for a prop strike.

I know Lycoming requires a tear down for anything more than a prop dressing caused by a stoppage so what do you think?

Might not have been a prop strike.

Wheel bearings get replaced.

If I remember right CS props are suppose to be overhauled every 500 hours. :dunno:

Call the owner and ask. :dunno:

I'm looking to buy a Cherokee and the logs say replaced the prop and bearings but nothing about a tear down inspection for a prop strike.

I know Lycoming requires a tear down for anything more than a prop dressing caused by a stoppage so what do you think?

Probably got replaced on an AD inspection.

If I remember right CS props are suppose to be overhauled every 500 hours. :dunno:

If a bearing is fine, there is no reason to replace it at 500hrs, I know I've had props go through the 500hr with nothing replaced.

Different props have different overhaul intervals. 6 years/1200 hours on the McCauley props on the 310.

Cherokees that aren't a 235 have CS props? Since when?

and not all CS props need that. I have a 3 blade MaCauley that doesn't.

Arrow, Turbo Dakota, Turbo Arrow, all with a 500hr Hartzel available lol.

Does it say they complied with the AD? How do you believe they got those bearing in there with out tearing it down?

Remember Lycoming does not require a tear down, simply comply with AD and you are done.

Which bearing are we talking about? :mad2:

The only prop bearings I'm aware of are between the blade root and hub. There has been Lycoming tear down/prop strike inferred in the OP I believe and that somewhat confused the thread.

The only prop bearings I'm aware of are between the blade root and hub. There has been Lycoming tear down/prop strike inferred in the OP I believe and that somewhat confused the thread.

I would think so. :mad2:

I would think so. :mad2:

Meh, there are many confused issues available here, however the most likely is that the Cherokee in question has a Hartzel prop that needed bearings last time it hit the AD and Tony was figuring that it had been a prop strike repair because McCauly owners don't have the AD to deal with.

I don't consider those Cherokees. When I hear Cherokee, I think fixed/fixed.

When I hear Cherokee I think PA-28 anything, heck, the PA-32 is a Cherokee Six. Even so, I have seen several PA 28-180s with a CS prop upgrade.

What plane? What prop?

The Hartzell X/V/MV prop have a big bearing between the spinning part of the pub and the thing that pushes the blade. This isn't an AD or life limited component but I've seen them need replacing. Another Navion owner at my airport has the bearing out of my old X hub.

Blades on the Hartzell could just mean they made the incredlble stupid decision to send it to Hartzell for an OH or AD inspection. Hartzell condemns about 90% of the blades they get.

I think Tony is out of his mind. Dude's already got a damn fine Comanche. Hell, you really want a Cherokee so bad, we can trade.

Back