Buying my first EAB....where to go to get smart?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Well, after a lot of looking around, hemming and hawing over the right 'next' airplane, it looks like I've decided to keep the 170 and buy a cheap EAB as a second airplane. Right now I am working a deal on a WWI Nieuport replica, but if that falls through, I will probably go for a Pietenpol.

So....since my only ownership is with standard category aircraft, aside from joining the EAA, where else should I go to educate myself on what I can and can't do with an EAB from a maintenance standpoint?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, after a lot of looking around, hemming and hawing over the right 'next' airplane, it looks like I've decided to keep the 170 and buy a cheap EAB as a second airplane. Right now I am working a deal on a WWI Nieuport replica, but if that falls through, I will probably go for a Pietenpol.

So....since my only ownership is with standard category aircraft, aside from joining the EAA, where else should I go to educate myself on what I can and can't do with an EAB from a maintenance standpoint?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It is very simple. You are legally allowed to do everything except the condition inspection, which is equivalent to the annual. Either an IA, A&P, or the individual who holds the Repairman's Certificate for that particular airframe can do the condition inspection.

The airplane's operating limitations are one of the required documents for you to legally operate the aircraft. They also describe exactly what you need to do from a paperwork and/or test flying perspective if you make a "major" modification to the airframe, such as swapping to a different engine model.

You can also go to the homebuilt section of this forum or a homebuilder forum. You will find lots of information. If you ask questions, someone will eventually answer it. Also, check with your local EAA chapter. THEY will provide excellent information.

It is very simple. You are legally allowed to do everything except the condition inspection, which is equivalent to the annual. Either an IA, A&P, or the individual who holds the Repairman's Certificate for that particular airframe can do the condition inspection.

The airplane's operating limitations are one of the required documents for you to legally operate the aircraft. They also describe exactly what you need to do from a paperwork and/or test flying perspective if you make a "major" modification to the airframe, such as swapping to a different engine model.

Not exactly true. If you don't have the repairmans certificate for that particular aircraft then any A&P can do the conditional it does NOT have to have be an IA. Otherwise anybody, including my 1yr old grandson, can do any the maintenance and/or upgrades to it.

I have an EXB and will never buy certified again.

Last edited:
Not exactly true. If you don't have the repairmans certificate for that particular aircraft then any A&P can do the conditional it does NOT have to have be an IA. Otherwise anybody, including my 1yr old grandson, can do any the maintenance and/or upgrades to it.

Read what I wrote again. ;-)

By the way, it is a condition inspection, not a conditionAL inspection.

FWIW, I think you're making a very smart move.

The engine is the key. Make sure you have access to someone who knows the engine....which is a lot easier with a Lycoming or Continental.

Keep in mind that single-seat airplanes are a hard sell. You can probably dicker the price down quite a bit.

Ron Wanttaja

And once the A/P makes the condition inspection, you can work the problems he or she identifies should you choose to do so.

I set what I considered some reasonable standards when I began looking for a EAB:
1. the engine has to start
2. the paperwork must not be compromised (logs , registration, and airworthiness, ownership)
3. have a current condition inspection
4. owner or someone he designates makes a demo flight before the purchase

Hah! not a chance. If those conditions were met, the plane was not for sale.
But in my search, I did decide for sure that I wanted a plane with a Continental or Lycoming engine, and in my case, I wanted electric start.

I did eventually buy a single seat Fly Baby with a 75hp Continental and electric start.

FWIW...

Homebuilders usually do a good job on the big structural stuff. Where they tend to fall short is in the fuel / wiring systems. You don't have to buy circuit breakers from aircraft suppliers, but watch out for Radio Shack in-line fuse holders under the panel. Look closely, but be aware that you can fix it up if you find the airframe you want for a decent price.

Documentation (POH) is all over the place. Some will have a manual created by the kit supplier (numbers may have been generated by marketing, not engineering), some will have a 2 sided, 8 1/2 X 11 piece of paper, some will actually have a manual that was based on the testing that was supposed to be done during the 40 hour testing period (rare, but buy that airplane if you find one).

Lycoming, Continental engines are fine. Make sure the baffling, fuel, wiring is up to snuff. I'm quite happy with my Rotax 912 - no reason to avoid one of those. On the other hand, two strokes and auto conversions are not for the faint of heart (or those who are afraid of forced landings). They can be done reliably, but the odds are against you.

Something that is flying is good. The "All it needs is a weight and balance" ads make me wonder...

You may be asked to sign a "promise not to sue for any reason" document. Whatever. If someone wants to sell the airplane without the data plate or airworthiness certificate because they are afraid of liability - walk away - how would you going to get it certificated again?

If you can, get YOUR mechanic to look at it - better to hear "You have got to be ******* kidding!" before you buy than at the next condition inspection.

Back