Buying my first aircraft

What do you consider hefty? I bought a mooney with less than 100 hours and paid less than $1.5k the first year.
I had(just slightly) less than 1000 hours when I bought my Mooney and it was $2500... But then again that was a $130k hull and $1 million smooth.

I just got my renewal - about 300 hours total - maybe 150-ish in the Commander - it was about a grand.

Shop around and when you find the right group stay with them. I've been with Aviation Insurance Managers (Steve Neely) and they provided solid rates and great service in getting quotes and pricing. I've not had a claim, so I cannot attest to that side of the equation.

Dean

That's about what I'd expect.

Wow, I have about 800 hours total, and pay less than $900 to insure my Mooney . . . Maybe we all just learned why I've never used AOPA Insurance, although I am a member of the Association.

Same stats, rates about the same...from AOPA (Global)...and that’s on a J.

Quasi necro posting on my old thread. What are folks thoughts on Grumann traveler/tigers, for some reason they have caught my attention as a “cool” airplane from the outside looking in, like the idea of the canopy, and there are some decent examples for sale currently and not priced too bad. I’m 6’2” and 250 hows the room in these things?

I thought I might like a Tiger too but they are little tight in my opinion. Particularly for someone of your stature. Definitely try one on first. Fast, cheap, cool plane though and the canopy is fun.

You could get a 182 similar to what I have if you could put down $30k and finance $80k on top of that. Might be able to find a Q or P in the $80k range...not sure. Hard to beat a 182 for big guys, even if you're convinced low wing is the only way to go.

Hows Dakota for low wings and big guys?

Hows Dakota for low wings and big guys?

It’s essentially a 182. Maybe slightly smaller but I’ve been in @Clark1961 ‘s and neither of us is diminutive of stature. Wasn’t uncomfortable at all.

His has the turbo so it also outruns and outperforms my 182 when hot or high.

The only downside of Pipers is the one door thing, and you get used to it.

Last edited:
Back