Buying Half a Plane (Paperwork Question)

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
I have decided to buy into a plane (PA-28R-180) that the current owner wants to sell half of. We have decided to be joint owners. I know that, to transfer a plane from A to B, the required paperwork consists of duplicate original 8050-2 Bills of Sale, an 8050-1 Aircraft Registration (that you can only get from the FSDO), and the back of the current registration card.

Is the paperwork or process at all different when you transfer from A to A and B?

A is the seller.
The buyer could be A & B or the LLP or LLC or whatever you decided to do.

That ^

And be sure to review the FAA CD and sign a purchase agreement, best to not find out down the road the plane is owned by A, B ... and C, who has a lien on it ;)

Don't you need the 337 form to prove that the plane is still airworthy after you cut it in half? :D

I have decided to buy into a plane (PA-28R-180) that the current owner wants to sell half of. We have decided to be joint owners. I know that, to transfer a plane from A to B, the required paperwork consists of duplicate original 8050-2 Bills of Sale, an 8050-1 Aircraft Registration (that you can only get from the FSDO), and the back of the current registration card.

Is the paperwork or process at all different when you transfer from A to A and B?

Seems like that was how we did mine when I bought the first half of it. But I was so green I didn't know what to do other than sign where I was told to.

Don't you need the 337 form to prove that the plane is still airworthy after you cut it in half? :D
I'll keep my half intact with the other half for the time being, just for airworthiness purposes. :)

A is the seller.
The buyer could be A & B or the LLP or LLC or whatever you decided to do.
That's what I figured but wanted to check before filling out paperwork for A -> A&B if there turned out to be a simpler form for adding an owner as opposed to change of ownership. Sounds like there's not, so the standard process applies.

Thanks everyone.

How does your state treat this from a sales/use-tax perspective ?

Sometimes it can make sense for the current owner to transfer the plane into a new entity (corp,llc)and you execute a stock (or membership) purchase agreement. That makes sense if the state doesn't tax both:
- 'non arms length transactions' such as the transfer into the LLC
- stock/membership purchase transactions.

And sometimes this doesn't make sense. Depends on your state.

Back