Buying first plane or the 2nd plane?

Best first and kinda 2nd forever plane

• Total voters
I found a C 182 near me that hasn't been run in 4 years. Decent price but ancient basic avionics. Is this a guaranteed engine overhaul when they sit like that? Little bit of a dent in one wing. They want $42k. I might see if they'll take less ...

Sit in any C172 with the seat adjusted so you can see over the panel and look sideways. Unless you're hunched forward the view is the same as your picture.
That was always my experience as well.

I found a C 182 near me that hasn't been run in 4 years. Decent price but ancient basic avionics. Is this a guaranteed engine overhaul when they sit like that?
Depends on who you ask. There are those who will say they won't put their family in anything that has run less than X hours per month every month no exceptions. But I personally know of others who have bought barn find project airplanes that sat for 20-30 years and put the existing engines back in as they were and flew them without incident for years. Most other folks will fall somewhere in between.

You can pick up a really nice Navion for that kind of money, I paid less than you are willing to spend and I really enjoy flying the Navion. Cruises easily at 135 kias. Uses O-470 so engine parts are common to Bonanza. Lots of support through Navion Society. Flew mine from Miami to Vegas and back last Fall without issue. TAS at 10K was 155kts...

I found a C 182 near me that hasn't been run in 4 years. Decent price but ancient basic avionics. Is this a guaranteed engine overhaul when they sit like that? Little bit of a dent in one wing. They want $42k. I might see if they'll take less ...
Scope it and search for corrosion... hot spots on the fuselage are above the headliner and behind the side panels forward of the doors. What model?

If it was stored well, the frame is probably fine. Check it. Life limited parts that are near limits, just replace. I'd IRAN the engine if < 1000hrs, overhaul otherwise. Avionics, do as much as you can in one chunk to reduce labor costs.

As to price, $42k is a "slam dunk" if it's more than a 182G with less than 6k hours. Prior to G or over 6k is reasonably fair. Where about?

Back