Buying Compressor

Tony_Scarpelli

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tony_Scarpelli
I have a need for a compressor and want your opinions as to brands/styles and costs.

I am buying some equipment which requires the following amounts of air and I need one of the following compressor sizes:

11-12 CFI at 90 PSI

or

22-24 CFI at 90 PSI

both with a 10 hr duty cycle several times a month later growing to several times a week.

I have to make three choices:

Brand such as Irasol Rand/ Northern / Quincy other...

Gas/Desiel or electric

I am leaning towards TSC.com's gas operated IR brand at about $899 for the smaller one and $1899 for the larger one.

Any advice?

Yes that is the exact one I found for the higher sized compressor.

I hope it will be as faithful as my old compressor.

about every 10 hours I pour a qt of WD 40 in the intake and let cycle thru. then drain the tank over night to get it out.

yes I have an air/oil separator on the outlet, and a filter on each paint gun.

I bought a Foam Spray insulation company.....

We have to use an air dryer cooler as well to dry the air.

I find that as your needs rise in PSI/CFM the options become less and less.

I find that as your needs rise in PSI/CFM the options become less and less.

This is certainly true, and the options on how to drive a big pump becomes a real issue.

The well driller here in town has two of these compressors plumbed in parallel I've seen the truck but don't know how he has them wired to control the two engines/clutches.

I bought one at Harbor Freight a few years ago. Its still running strong these days, and it was quite inexpensive. I think its a 30 gallon and it cost me $199.

I bought one at Harbor Freight a few years ago. Its still running strong these days, and it was quite inexpensive. I think its a 30 gallon and it cost me $199.

I like harbor freight for stuff I lose, gets stolen and I don't invest alot of money in it.

The compressors I need are going to be $1000 or $2000 and if you get one from HF with the 22 cfm/90 psi then you are not saving more than 10%. For 10% I would rather have a good american name on my stuff.

For home handiman stuff yes, I use Harbor freight.

At my shop I have a single phase 7HP Ingersol two stage with an after cooler. I have gas compressors on my trucks. The electrics are just so much quieter and cheaper to run if you have power available.

At my shop I have a single phase 7HP Ingersol two stage with an after cooler. I have gas compressors on my trucks. The electrics are just so much quieter and cheaper to run if you have power available.

We are already maxed out with a 17,500 Generac gas generator for demand for the other equipment. So buy using gas compressor we free up 15-30 amps.

Eventually we will move to Diesel generator with compressor and air dryer built in but those puppies are about $23k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-KW-25-CF...63521848?pt=BI_Generators&hash=item336c7de438

I have a need for a compressor and want your opinions as to brands/styles and costs.

I am buying some equipment which requires the following amounts of air and I need one of the following compressor sizes:

11-12 CFI at 90 PSI

or

22-24 CFI at 90 PSI

both with a 10 hr duty cycle several times a month later growing to several times a week.

I have to make three choices:

Brand such as Irasol Rand/ Northern / Quincy other...

Gas/Desiel or electric

I am leaning towards TSC.com's gas operated IR brand at about $899 for the smaller one and $1899 for the larger one.

Any advice?

Quincy for sure, the one bought at the car lot when I was 13 has run flawlessly for 34 years now. I would go electric unless you need independent portability. If you are using other gear on the job it's better to use a genset to run everything since they are easy to rent when yours breaks.

Last edited:
We are already maxed out with a 17,500 Generac gas generator for demand for the other equipment. So buy using gas compressor we free up 15-30 amps.

Eventually we will move to Diesel generator with compressor and air dryer built in but those puppies are about $23k

The less engines you have to deal with the better. I wouldn't get the combo unit since when it goes down you lose everything. When your genset dies you can run down to the rental shop and get a genset and you're back at work with all your other tools still going.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-KW-25-CF...63521848?pt=BI_Generators&hash=item336c7de438

Given your CFM requirements I would get a large electric compressor. If you need really dry air you need excess capacity, an after cooler, a refrigerated dryer, and three stage filtration. So without electricity you're down anyway.

For that reason I would do as Henning suggested, get a quality electric compressor, and a diesel genset. Every Richie Bros. auction I go to has hundreds of them and they can be bought very reasonably used. Then if it goes out for whatever reason you can go rent one and keep working.

I hope it will be as faithful as my old compressor.

about every 10 hours I pour a qt of WD 40 in the intake and let cycle thru. then drain the tank over night to get it out.

yes I have an air/oil separator on the outlet, and a filter on each paint gun.

Is that to keep the rust down in the tank or ?.

My compressor requires oil for the pump sump (don't all oiled compressors) but this procedure sounds like corrosion protection, yes?

My compressor requires oil for the pump sump (don't all oiled compressors) but this procedure sounds like corrosion protection, yes?

Don't do this if you ever plan to paint anything, use a dryer, etc. Just get an auto drain, it will keep the tank dry. I have 25 year old compressors on their original tanks with no issues.

My old compressor is an old Campbell Van Hausfield cast iron pump, it has no intake filter so it gathers dust and after a while the pump check valves start to leak, then I run WD 40 thru it they clean up and work fine again for a while. I've been doing it since I bought the compressor at Sears in the early 70s.
And Yes, it probably helps cut down the corrosion in the tank.

Don't do this if you ever plan to paint anything, use a dryer, etc. Just get an auto drain, it will keep the tank dry. I have 25 year old compressors on their original tanks with no issues.

I've been doing this for as long as I've owned the compressor, and have never had any problems painting with a simple water trap, and an in line filter.

I do drain the tank daily.

Given your CFM requirements I would get a large electric compressor. If you need really dry air you need excess capacity, an after cooler, a refrigerated dryer, and three stage filtration. So without electricity you're down anyway.

For that reason I would do as Henning suggested, get a quality electric compressor, and a diesel genset. Every Richie Bros. auction I go to has hundreds of them and they can be bought very reasonably used. Then if it goes out for whatever reason you can go rent one and keep working.

I will hit up Richies and see what I can get.

I've been doing this for as long as I've owned the compressor, and have never had any problems painting with a simple water trap, and an in line filter.

I do drain the tank daily.

You must be getting away with it then. What would happen if someone sprayed WD40 on wet paint? That's the risk I'm talking about.

What would happen if someone sprayed WD40 on wet paint? That's the risk I'm talking about.

If the paint was still wet, the WD 40 would remove the paint, and make a very big mess.

If the paint was dry, nothing, simply allow to cure out, and wash with soap and water it will come right off.

PPG "concept" paint system will cure in less that 10 minutes, and not be effected by dust or contaminates on the surface.

All you really need is a in line filter, they are $14 at NAPA and screw on the spray gun, and your hose connects to it.

.....All you really need is a in line filter, they are $14 at NAPA and screw on the spray gun, and your hose connects to it.

Yuppers... I painted my plane with 300 buck a gallon Imron.... Not a fisheye on the whole thing....:no:.. There is a run or two though.:sad::(

A bit off topic, but I've been seeing excellent results from Alex Seal paint. It's the same guys that came up with Awl Grip and is the best thing I have seen for sticking to aluminum so far in the marine environment.

A bit off topic, but I've been seeing excellent results from Alex Seal paint. It's the same guys that came up with Awl Grip and is the best thing I have seen for sticking to aluminum so far in the marine environment.

What system is it? IOWs who makes it ? is it a single stage. 2 part catalyzed enamel?

or water borne enamel ?

How many gallons?

Hmmm.. Seems I remember 2 1/2 gallons of Orange, and almost a gallon of Blue, add to that the gallon of Dupont primer and the paint job added about 35 lbs to the plane.... Who would have guessed.

Ps.. there is a THICK coat of paint on that poor plane..:yes::redface:

Hmmm.. Seems I remember 2 1/2 gallons of Orange, and almost a gallon of Blue, add to that the gallon of Dupont primer and the paint job added about 35 lbs to the plane.... Who would have guessed.

That's about what I did too - 3 1/2 gallons on an RV10. Expensive, toxic stuff but tougher than any enamel. I just hope there was a lot of overspray...

What system is it? IOWs who makes it ? is it a single stage. 2 part catalyzed enamel?

or water borne enamel ?

Alex Seal is the brand name and manufacturer and it's a 'three pack' linear polyurethane type paint I believe. They also have a really nice light weight fairing compound.

http://www.alexseal.com/en/exterior.php

I used Awl Grip on the last boat - really sprayed / flowed out easy. even the waterline which I did with a brush! Don't know how this compares.

I can roll and tip Awl Grip or Alex Seal and have a perfect result. I love the stuff especially the clear for basing and topping varnish for a long lasting glass like job with no real effort. I'll use it as a sealer until the wood won't soak any more, put on 9-12 coats of Epifanes for UV protection and depth then 2-3 coats of clear on top. This seals the oil in the varnish between the layers and gives you a tough topping that stands up to people sitting on it like a cabin trunk cap rail and to sun and wind like on a mast for a decade or better with just a waxing every 3 months. Alex Seal is 'New and Improved' Awl Grip.

BTW, never use AwlBright, the UV inhibitors in it make it go to junk in a year or two.

I got to take a closer look at the truck that has twin air compressors on it, he has 2 of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X5027-17-5-...390?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0896e07e

one each side of one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-10HP-SM...621?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bcdc0ddd

controlled by a pressure switch and a electric clutch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-PT...919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256c0fe4e7

its all mounted on a 50 gallon tank

That just about does it....

Was that the dried weight? I bet it looks good. :)

I got to take a closer look at the truck that has twin air compressors on it, he has 2 of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X5027-17-5-...390?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0896e07e

one each side of one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-10HP-SM...621?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bcdc0ddd

controlled by a pressure switch and a electric clutch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-PT...919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256c0fe4e7

its all mounted on a 50 gallon tank

Yeesh. I don't get it, looks like a chinese diesel powered dental compressor kludge. The two compressors will recover faster than one (obviously), but being diesel powered you are still going to be burning twice the fuel, making twice the noise, and still the tank cutoff pressure is the same. How about parts for those chinese diesels?

If you really want twin heads, how about one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Techniq...799?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a277fa777

Yeesh. I don't get it, looks like a chinese diesel powered dental compressor kludge. The two compressors will recover faster than one (obviously), but being diesel powered you are still going to be burning twice the fuel, making twice the noise, and still the tank cutoff pressure is the same. How about parts for those chinese diesels?

At the price of a Chinese diesel, I don't believe any one is fixing them. Seeing as it is on a truck, and will always be outside, I don't think he cares about the noise.

and the 2, 17.5 CFM (35 CFM Total) compressors will keep up to most every tool I can think of.

Last edited:
Was that the dried weight? I bet it looks good. :)

It is BRIGHT Orange, and in the sunlight I get calls from Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles telling me even they can see it..:yes::D:rofl:.

Attachments

• 801 cabin 028.jpg
    801 cabin 028.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
About 16 years ago I bought a small (and genuine) Quincy compressor from Harbor Freight for ~$350 with free shipping and it has been great to this day. It doesn't see continuous use, but I think it will just keep on going with sporadic oil changes. I will likely have a need for a bigger cousin pretty soon and plan to start shopping with Quincy at the top of the list.

Back