Buying and Resale of Cessna 150 to Build Time Help

Noah Russell

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Russell
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I have a question about purchasing a Cessna 150. The one I am looking at is a 1967 C150 with 1400 some hours SMOH, and new cylinders 400 some hours ago. The owner has put a lot of work into it. He did new cylinders, mags, new carb, cowl fasteners, flap rollers, rudder stop, new tires, new wheel bearings, new radio, new horizon, artic heat, and maybe the shimmy block nose strut. The panel is very basic, and paint is old. He is asking 22000 for it. My question is, is I would like to build around 300 hours if possible over the next couple of years and without a CFI, I thought this might be a good way to build time. My concern with buying this airplane would be if I put 300 hrs. on it, it will be at about TBO when I would sell it. This is not saying much about the engine, they can last a long time if properly cared for, but as far as resale, is that really going to hurt me? Also, are Cessna 150's fairly easy to sell?

Thanks guys

Welcome to the forum!

It will likely be a bit lower in resale value, but not drastically so. I'd imagine you'd still be able to sell it for at least 18-20k if 22k is what you're paying for it now.

So would a Cessna 150 with a basic panel and an engine at TBO be fairly easy to sell at that price (understanding that you have not seen it)? Or would that be a price you could get after a long time of trying to sell it if that makes sense.

Thanks for the response

You never really know with airplanes, but the situation you're describing worked out perfectly for me. I bought a nice 152 for $25,000 and sold it for $25,000 after getting my license in it and then putting maybe another 100 hours on it. It was a great way to test the waters of ownership in a relatively inexpensive way. I think it sold within a week of me listing it, so no problem with resale on that particular plane.

You never really know with airplanes, but the situation you're describing worked out perfectly for me. I bought a nice 152 for $25,000 and sold it for $25,000 after getting my license in it and then putting maybe another 100 hours on it. It was a great way to test the waters of ownership in a relatively inexpensive way. I think it sold within a week of me listing it, so no problem with resale on that particular plane.
How many hours did your engine have?

I want to say it was ~ 70% to TBO when I sold it, but I'd have to scrounge up the paperwork. Not positive. *Edit* Looked it up and I sold it at 80% to TBO.

Last edited:
I want to say it was ~ 70% to TBO when I sold it, but I'd have to scrounge up the paperwork. Not positive. *Edit* Looked it up and I sold it at 80% to TBO.
Thanks for the response. So how was your experience purchasing an airplane to build time, or at least like 100 some hours. Was it worth the hassle of ownership?

There were definitely some variables that leaned toward ownership in my particular situation. There were no rentals close to me, so I would have had to drive 45 minutes to rent, while I lived only 5 minutes from the local airport where I kept the 152. I also had an A&P on the field who was super reasonable and a joy to work with, plus a local independent CFI to do my training with. Even the fuel at the local airport was the cheapest in the area. No regrets.

Back