Buying a vehicle long distance?

I bought my daily driver from 600 miles away. The dealerships that have good deals are used to that business model and respond appropriately. I sold my car to a local dealer then rented a car to go get my new one. These days though it will be less about finding a good deal and more about just finding one in stock you want.

Every Chrysler product I've ever been around has gone through transmissions like Joey Chestnut through hot dogs, but now that everyone has a new eleventy-dozen speed transmission I don't know if that holds any more. Actually the Chevy gasser still uses an older 6 speed, which I think is pretty reliable; don't know about the other two.

Chrysler has never been known for making very good transmissions, and that still holds. Like GM with the Allison paired to the Duramax, Chrysler has gotten the Aisin transmission behind the diesels as an option. Not sure about the gassers. However I think the new Ram gassers still use 6-speeds, probably the 68RFE, rather than the 8-speeds you see in the Challenger/Charger. They don’t last well behind the diesels, but might be fine with a gasser.

I think your preference for a gasser GM isn’t a bad choice. At this point it’s probably the most proven/reliable on the market. I get discounts on Chrysler/Stelantis vehicles through my day job so that does influence the decision some. But I would’ve bought the Ram anyway, as I wanted a Cummins.

Funny enough, 13 years prior when I bought my 2004 Ram the equation wasn’t much different. A friend who was a retired Ford exec had even offered to get me his price on a Ford, but I didn’t want the PowerStroke 6.0 at the time.

I can recommend where I bought my Ram from in North Carolina. They specialize in long distance/high volume sales if you want to investigate. They had the exact truck I wanted in stock, color and everything. Of course I got the diesel, but nothing wrong with a Hemi. The tech in the new ones is very good. But then that’s more complexity, which is also in the new LS engines in the Chevy trucks.

I tend to think that GM probably builds a better truck than Ram, I only bought mine because of the engine. That said I’m close to 5 years and 60k miles in, and it’s been essentially trouble free. I’ve just now started having issues with the ABS module which I’ll have to replace at some point. I wouldn’t bother but it disables the cruise control without functioning traction control, which is also disabled when the ABS module quits.
Which dealer is this in NC, if I may ask?

Which dealer is this in NC, if I may ask?

Kernersville Chrysler dodge jeep ram (31dodge.com I think is the website). I’m a “cut the crap I just want to buy the car” kind of person, which a lot of dealerships have major challenges with. Saw the truck I wanted advertised on eBay with them. Called up, gave them my discount code for my company, they took that off the advertised price. They got me good financing. Ended up something around $10k below MSRP. They paid for my plane ticket down to NC and picked me up at the airport (I forget which one).

Bedside manner? Not so much. But they’ve got a high volume business model and I definitely was happy with how it worked out, and would buy from them again.

Note, this was 2017, a very different market from today. So my experience may not be duplicated today.

Perhaps before your time, but the A727 Torqueflite has a sterling reputation:

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/chryslers-torqueflite-727-transmission-was-the-best-muscle-car-automatic-ever-built/#:~:text=Chrysler's TorqueFlite 727 Transmission Was The Best Muscle Car Automatic Ever Built,-September 8, 2021

I agree that their later stuff is junk though, for example the A413 in my daughter's Neon and the 42RLE in my wife's 300, both of which grenaded.

I’m well aware of the 727, which I think was their only transmission with a great reputation. I’ve driven them and they seem to do fine, admittedly never owned one. But as I recall, the 47RE overdrive trans was a 727 with an overdrive attached (like a TH400 vs 4L80 with GM) and that doesn’t have a great reputation in the diesel world.

I own two Stelantis products now (including an Alfa) so obviously I don’t think too negatively of the brand. If I were to buy a new sedan for myself, it would likely be a Charger with a 6.4 Hemi.

Well that escalated quickly. I spoke to a salesman tonight and put down a (refundable) deposit. Good news is there's a small airport just a couple miles from the dealership. Now I have to talk my wife into a 4 hour drive home. I hope I like the thing when I get there lol.

Congrats! I’m sure you will. We had a rental 1/2 ton Silverado V8, and I liked it quite a bit.

Well that escalated quickly. I spoke to a salesman tonight and put down a (refundable) deposit. Good news is there's a small airport just a couple miles from the dealership. Now I have to talk my wife into a 4 hour drive home. I hope I like the thing when I get there lol.
Don't worry, I'll fly you.

Oh wait.....

EAA you can get xplan on Fords. Takes out a lot of the BS and market adjustments. Or Costco auto-buying does the print the paper and walk up and pay the price on paper, also skipping a lot of BS.
I used xplan on my mustang and @simtech flew me up to Arkansas to get it back in October. Got below MSRP when cars were marked up way over.

I'm in Chicago for meetings all next week, otherwise we might be able to work something out.

Are you able to Johnny Cash me a new turbo next time you’re at the factory? Compressor from a C15, turbine from a C9, center section from a C12…

:D

Are you able to Johnny Cash me a new turbo next time you’re at the factory? Compressor from a C15, turbine from a C9, center section from a C12…

:D
I'd have to run down to Texas. We all know how much I like going there.

Reactions: Ted
I have bought a few new cars over the past 20 years. Only once, I ended up making the deal with the local dealer, and that was because they offered to beat the price of the away dealer on a vehicle that I wanted. Other than that, once I know the configuration I want, I email all the dealers who have one and buy from the one with the lowest out the door price. Some high volume dealers get it, most dont. The ones who get it make the sale.

Right now that approach doesn't work for any kind of in-demand cars. The dealerships may show stock in the manufacturers online system or on cars.com, but all those vehicles are already sold. They are only bait to get you to talk to them so they can sell you their used stock.

Some high volume dealers get it, most dont

The sales folks at those high volume dealerships know that they do not have to take a low offer when there will be another smuck....I mean customer come in the next day and pay the dealer price plus ADP.

The sales folks at those high volume dealerships know that they do not have to take a low offer when there will be another smuck....I mean customer come in the next day and pay the dealer price plus ADP.

In a normal market, that is not the case. The high priced cars at the small dealers who don't get it sit, and the high volume dealers move merchandise.

In a normal market, that is not the case. The high priced cars at the small dealers who don't get it sit, and the high volume dealers move merchandise.

I agree that this isn't a normal market, but as far as I can tell there are still production issues/shortages and so it's one that still favors the dealerships. Maybe that has started to shift as interest rates go up, confidence in the economy goes down, etc. Most car lots I drive by still seem to be fairly empty. The market definitely isn't as hot as it was a year ago, but it still doesn't seem to have tipped all the way to a buyer's market yet.

If you get into having a car shipped long-distance here's a trick I'll share.

Be sure the shipper photos the car from every angle and then some to document scratches/imperfections.

Having a newspaper (remember those?) with the day's date visible along with the vehicle is something I have always done, and I have an instance where the darn newspaper trick saved the bacon of my customer once.

@NealRomeoGolf and I went for a nice flight this morning and happened to end up in central Missouri, so I suggested he drop me off to drive my new truck home. He's one of the few people I'd trust to fly my plane, and he meets my insurance open pilot requirements, so he took the 15 knot tailwind and I took the 5 hour drive. Like a peasant.

Just two cool dads doin' pilot stuff. He's not looking at the camera because I forgot to take a picture until he was turning final...
IMG_20220813_115045265.jpg

There was a super cool derelict Grumman S2 on the ramp. Apparently the a&p school obtained it to have a radial engine for the students.
IMG_20220813_120019832.jpg

New family truckster....check.
IMG_20220813_132024769.jpg IMG_20220813_131231338_HDR.jpg

@NealRomeoGolf and I went for a nice flight this morning and happened to end up in central Missouri, so I suggested he drop me off to drive my new truck home. He's one of the few people I'd trust to fly my plane, and he meets my insurance open pilot requirements, so he took the 15 knot tailwind and I took the 5 hour drive. Like a peasant.

Just two cool dads doin' pilot stuff. He's not looking at the camera because I forgot to take a picture until he was turning final...
View attachment 109654

There was a super cool derelict Grumman S2 on the ramp. Apparently the a&p school obtained it to have a radial engine for the students.
View attachment 109655

New family truckster....check.
View attachment 109656 View attachment 109657
Nice! Since I’m a peasant and don’t own an airplane, what are the open Pilot requirements?

Nice! Since I’m a peasant and don’t own an airplane, what are the open Pilot requirements?

The policy only covers pilots named on the policy, but then most also have an "open pilot clause" where they lay out the requirements to cover a pilot NOT named on the policy.

I was thinking they were much more stringent than they are. I went and looked at my policy and they require 100 retract and only 5 in make & model. They made me get 10 hours in it before I could solo it. The question I always had but never asked is if 32r-300 time counts the same as 32r-301.

Here's the verbiage:
Covered pilots:
A. JimK
B. Commercial pilots in the employ of an FAA approved aircraft repair station in connection with inspections or repairs
to be or that have been performed on the insured aircraft; or, by an FAA inspector or any Certificated Flight Instructor
while accompanied by an approved pilot for the purpose of instructing that person
C. Any other Private, Commercial or Airline Transport Pilot not named in "A" who meets all of the following
requirements:
1. holds an airplane single engine land rating;
2. has a current and effective medical certificate;
3. satisfies the FAA's flight review requirements;
4. has at least the following logged pilot time:
a. 100 hours in aircraft having retractable gear of which at least 5 hours were in the last 180 days;
b. 5 hours in the same make and model as the insured aircraft.

The policy only covers pilots named on the policy, but then most also have an "open pilot clause" where they lay out the requirements to cover a pilot NOT named on the policy.

I was thinking they were much more stringent than they are. I went and looked at my policy and they require 100 retract and only 5 in make & model. They made me get 10 hours in it before I could solo it. The question I always had but never asked is if 32r-300 time counts the same as 32r-301.

Here's the verbiage:
Covered pilots:
A. JimK
B. Commercial pilots in the employ of an FAA approved aircraft repair station in connection with inspections or repairs
to be or that have been performed on the insured aircraft; or, by an FAA inspector or any Certificated Flight Instructor
while accompanied by an approved pilot for the purpose of instructing that person
C. Any other Private, Commercial or Airline Transport Pilot not named in "A" who meets all of the following
requirements:
1. holds an airplane single engine land rating;
2. has a current and effective medical certificate;
3. satisfies the FAA's flight review requirements;
4. has at least the following logged pilot time:
a. 100 hours in aircraft having retractable gear of which at least 5 hours were in the last 180 days;
b. 5 hours in the same make and model as the insured aircraft.
That is a good question regarding -300 vs -301. To me, make: Piper, model: PA32, no?

You flew with me in the -301, was the only difference the wing? (And electric flaps haha)

That is a good question regarding -300 vs -301. To me, make: Piper, model: PA32, no?

You flew with me in the -301, was the only difference the wing? (And electric flaps haha)
In my mind, I'd group them into fixed gear, retract, and t-tail, which is exactly what the suffix behind the 32 does. I suppose you could make an argument that a turbo would be different enough. Your 'toga felt very familiar.

Remember, it’s spelled “ei” , not “ie” when you are giving the insurance company my name. :)
Next time I'll be able to take you to lunch in an air conditioned vehicle with a transmission that actually shifts....:rolleyes:

Next time I'll be able to take you to lunch in an air conditioned vehicle with a transmission that actually shifts....:rolleyes:

Air conditioning and shifting are overrated.

Memories of my old K2500 Suburban that the transfer case would pop into neutral and the AC very much almost sorta worked usually.

Air conditioning and shifting are overrated.

Memories of my old K2500 Suburban that the transfer case would pop into neutral and the AC very much almost sorta worked usually.
You forgot "kind of."

Reactions: Ted
Back