Buying a plane with damage history

Of the six airplanes I've owned over the years, all but one had damage history, didn't worry me.

more rivets more stronger right?
Depends. In some cases adding additional rivets outside any established guidance or substituting thicker/harder materials can actually cause more issues. Or in some structural load paths, move a stress force to a location where more damage can be done. Even the OEMs can get this wrong when trying to fix a known problem, only to have a "new" problem pop up 10 feet down the structure.

If it's not signed of to the manufacturer SRM (structural repair manual) and signed of to the generic 43.13, you should have some real questions about why.
Agree in general, but not all small aircraft have an SRM and 43.13 may not cover all aspects of a repair. So while a lack of those types of references may generate a question or two, it doesn't mean it is an automatic issue.

Depends. In some cases adding additional rivets outside any established guidance or substituting thicker/harder materials can actually cause more issues. Or in some structural load paths, move a stress force to a location where more damage can be done. Even the OEMs can get this wrong when trying to fix a known problem, only to have a "new" problem pop up 10 feet down the structure.

'Twas sarcasm :D

If the repair was done properly there should be no problem.get it at a fair price and fly it. If your going to keep it . Don’t worry about resale value unless you intend to flip lt. enjoy.

I have looked a several aircraft that had ‘no damage history or no known damage history’ and no repairs are noted in the logs.
However, a search of the various aircraft damage databases will turn up PLENTY of damage reports on aircraft being represented as NDH.

if it’s not to severe, to recent and it is recorded in the logs properly, for me I don’t care.

Btw, to the OP….get the R182, great traveler, comfortable, etc.
I love mine.

As mentioned above, do not blow into a full on maintenance makeover.
Use a shop that has or is actively maintaining Cessna single retracts and has a mindset to follow the Cessna service manuals, not their philosophy.
These are basically antiques now and knowledgeable A/Ps will know what you should and shouldn’t do to them unless necessary.
they will also know the weak points that should be on a schedule for service, hydraulic hoses for example.

Back