Buying a Cessna ?

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
I put this in "pilot training" because that is what it really is.

If you are considering a cessna in your future there are 3 books that I consider required reading they are:

Standard Catalog of CESSNA Single engine Aircraft, revised second edition.
by Jim Cavanagh

and "Cessna-Wings for the world"
by William D. Thompson

plus "Wings of Cessna"
by Edward H Phillips

between those three books you will know more about the cessna line that you ever could by posting here or asking your buddies.

Cool & Thanks!

Are these all available via Amazon or B&N?

Also highly recommend heading out to Cessna Pilot's Assn for a systems class if they're holding one for your type.

A joke heard after the 182 "Legacy" class I attended was that they should rename themselves the Cessna Mechanics Assn since there's very little about piloting Cessnas covered, but that's pretty normal for type clubs except for the Bonanza folks.

I learned a bunch about the care and feeding of my Cessna from the class.

Sounds good - now all that is needed is a similar list of books for Pipers. :wink2:

If you are considering a cessna in your future there are 3 books that I consider required reading they are:
Yep to all three.

Thompson's book is a fascinating look at the company and the airplanes in the glory days. As a long-time test pilot and later Manager of Flight Test and Aerodynamics, Bill Thompson was the insider's insider at Cessna. Actually Thompson wrote three books in the series -- Vol. 1 covers the postwar single-engine line through 1986 plus the Skyhook helicopter; Vol. 2 covers the 300-series twins (including Model 318/T-37 jet) and several interesting experimental projects; and Vol. 3 covers the 400-series twins and jets. I think they're out of print now, but Amazon usually has used copies available.

Phillips's book is well-researched and profusely-illustrated (ever see a Cessna 160??), but the summaries on each model don't go deeper than what one might get from company press releases.

Cavanagh's book is the size of a medium-sized town's phone book, with but a few pages of text -- the rest of it is stats, stats, and more stats, model by model and year by year, with a photo and three-view diagram of each (with just a couple of omissions).

Last edited:
Phillips's book is well-researched and profusely-illustrated (ever see a Cessna 160??), but the summaries on each model don't go deeper than what one might get from company press releases.

Is that the taildragger version of the Skycatcher? :rofl:

Also highly recommend heading out to Cessna Pilot's Assn for a systems class if they're holding one for your type.

A joke heard after the 182 "Legacy" class I attended was that they should rename themselves the Cessna Mechanics Assn since there's very little about piloting Cessnas covered, but that's pretty normal for type clubs except for the Bonanza folks.

I'm looking at the site now and it seems the last event held was in 09.:dunno:

Ah....I see it in the m a g a z i n e (available online in .pdf format) :mad2:

Mike Arman's book about 150 seems pretty nice in you're into that. I have it on paper.

Is the CPA really any better than the individual type clubs?

I have received a few mailings from them trying to get me to join, but it didn't seem worth it compared to what I get from the 170 Association.

Is the CPA really any better than the individual type clubs?

I have received a few mailings from them trying to get me to join, but it didn't seem worth it compared to what I get from the 170 Association.

Can't say...

Never found a single-type club for the 182 that seems to rival them.

I, of course, know nothing about your 170 type club or its value to you. :)

Linked the books for simpler access.

I put this in "pilot training" because that is what it really is.

Standard Catalog of CESSNA Single engine Aircraft, revised second edition.
by Jim Cavanagh

and "Cessna-Wings for the world"
by William D. Thompson

plus "Wings of Cessna"
by Edward H Phillips

between those three books you will know more about the cessna line that you ever could by posting here or asking your buddies.

Yeah, we dropped our membership in the CPA because there was so little there for us as rental pilots. Should we ever start looking at purchasing one again, we'll probably rejoin.

Back