Buying a car on eBay

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Has anyone here bought a car on eBay? Looking at the finished auctions, it seems that you can get somewhat better value there. I'm quite wary of such things, but maybe the rates are lower because everyone is wary of buying something that expensive on eBay!

Any experiences, comments, suggestions?

Thanks,

Haven't bought a vehicle on eBay, but I've sold one. Buyer flew in from CA to pick it up. He wrote me later he was very happy with it. I got right at Kelly Bluebook for mine, or about 3x what the local dealer would give me on trade in. Lots of pictures helped, as did full disclosure on repairs and maintenance schedule.

I'd stay away from a listing that was thin on info, personally.

I bought my 95 Impala SS of of E-bay a few years ago. I had my dad check it out because he lived close by. I was happy with the purchase and still own it. I got my plane off E-Bay also.

I know three people who have bought cars off of eBay. All three got what they expected and paid for. One simply doesn't like the car anymore (it was his dream car and he never drove one before he bought it). Another bought a high performance sedan (BMW 740i) for $8K and can't figure out why it's not performing like the $50K it was worth new. The third is happy but did a lot of due diligence before he started shopping.

Bottom line: yes, there are scams out there. Do your homework first and you'll probably be fine.

7 cars and counting :) No suprises all under one aviation unit. One did go on fire, but after 7 months & 10,000 miles

Back