Buyer's advice: Bellanca Super Viking vs. Rockwell Commander 114

SITUATION:
  • You have a desire to fly 3 -4 days at a time, 3-4 times a year.
  • You want to load your family of four
  • You have high standards
  • You have a limited budget - you're not going to buy an airplane for $80k that fits your needs

SOLUTION THOUGHT STARTER FOR YOU TO CONSIDER:
Given all of these, trade offs will give you the best outcome.

Consider a Cirrus rental.

REASONS:
  • Cirrus is a high quality aircraft that will take your entire family where you want to go in the comfort and style you want.
  • Cirrus rentals are not like renting the "Old Bessy" highly used (ratted out) 172's you might be thinking of when you think of "rental"
  • Cirrus rental organizations can give you the "white glove" treatment you want.
  • You won't have to worry about your plane not being flyable because it's been sitting.
  • You won't worry about whether or not your plane is in tip top shape
  • You'll have a nice panel - most likely glass
  • You'll have a BRS

This is right on. Lifestyle Aviation/Diamondshares is another consideration. $80k would get you a quarter share of a low time DA40, which is a decent cross country aircraft (although your family of 4 will have to be light) and probably still the safest aircraft in GA.

Viking is a lovely plane. You must have a pre-buy and have it maintained by one of the shops familiar with it, or else. A lot of them are in the SW due to the drier climate. I had one about 10 years ago. I have wide shoulders and found that staggering the front seats slightly made it workable. If you can't get a hangar or at least a covered shed I would pass. Visit www.vikingpilots.com

Let me add my 2 cents . . . I have owned a Turbo Viking and presently own a Comanche 260C - the Comanche has been a FANTASTIC airplane. . .

The Turbo Viking can be maintenance hog - something ALWAYS was going wrong between annuals - and the annuals were a bear. A lot of airplanes are inexpensive and maybe I just had a maintenance hog 0 but I don't think so - I'm looking at one again right now - and its been a month and I haven't even seen it yet since the owner had an annual with part shipment delays, and then they found a bad cylinder and now its an oil leak. So they're tempermental - even though you'd thnk the Lycoming would have a little better reliability. See my ocmments below on my Comanche.

I LOVED flying the airplane. Up high when clear and above weather a lot of the time in the mid and high teens with only a cannula. No traffic up there - you're generally it - except for jets descending and ascending. I saw 170-175 true above 10,000 often. LOP I saw 150 knots true at 10.8gph. Thats Mooney level efficiency in an airplane with 300hp when you need it - I saw 177ktas at 17500 ALOT. with 20 knot tail winds you're at 200knots - thats moving. Having 165knots TAS into a 25knot headwind is a meaningful difference - you're still getting 140 over the ground. I've seen 172's under 80 on a pretty normal day.

I have no experience with Commanders.

I have a Comanche 260C that will break my heart when I sell it. GA airplanes are speed - range - payload - pick any two. Not the case with my Comanche. 157ktas flight planning at all relevant altitudes. 750lb full fuel payload and 910 main tanks only - and when it comes to W&B if it fits it flies. Full fuel is 86 gallons which effectively is 70 gallons flyable at 14gph or 5 HOURS with 750lbs - thats a LONG WAY. 750nm. Two stops across the country most days.

It has an S-Tec 60-2, GPSS, 530w, HSI, fuel totalizer connected to the 530, and a radar altimeter than still works. It has a 30 year 2000 hour motor that had warm compressions no lower than 74 in May 2021. Doesn't eat oil. Doesn't make metal. It's like an old pair of jeans that wont tear and wont wear out. But its a 30 year old motor - so its time for a motor and prop. . .. which is $45k in the Comanche. I should be able to sell it - add $15k and get another well-equipped turbo Viking.

I've moved to Tucson the last month - and family is in Flagstaff, Show Low and Santa Fe. And the DA in Tucson any day in May, June, June, Aug or Sept is 5500' by 8am. So I NEED a turbo and I'm not interested in a Bonanza. . . . not many other turbo choices out there - No Comanche TC's available for YEARS, the Viking, the Bonanza or the Mooney. Obviously Cirrus - but anything reasonably priced is going to need a motor soon - I'm trying to avoid that whole scenario - I'm not made of money - only enough to operate a single. . . .

I purchased a SuperViking this year. Had similar range of options: Commander vs BSV vs Mooney D, or E, and REALLY wanted a Vtail; latter however has the risk of magnesium ruddervator replacement risks—-they no longer exist.
I previously flew a Mooney Acclaim; magnificent aircraft, but hard to justify a $half million plane. The Viking is nicely responsive. I consciously avoided a Turbo due to potential maintenance issues. My wife and I are very close to your dimensions, Cedric: not a particular problem. It’s not a Cadillac Escalade; nor was the Mooney.
Several people in AZ have Vikings, and a few around ABQ. As noted above, I’d check out vikingpilots.com (I use the same name there, so feel free to review my plane and experiences). Wood wings aren’t a big deal in the Southwest, but you ABSOLUTELY need to hangar it. Personally I think the Commander would be a nice alternative too, but I’ve never flown one.
Biggest issue? Since it’s a small Viking fleet, upgrading avionics can be challenging due to selective STCs. Bought an STEC 60-2 to replace my Century II; planning a CGR30 and an AV30S along the way.
No plane is perfect—-certainly not one decades old and under $150,000. For me, the BSV is a cost effective solution.
Hope that helps—GLWS!

I purchased a SuperViking this year. Had similar range of options: Commander vs BSV vs Mooney D, or E, and REALLY wanted a Vtail; latter however has the risk of magnesium ruddervator replacement risks—-they no longer exist.
I previously flew a Mooney Acclaim; magnificent aircraft, but hard to justify a $half million plane. The Viking is nicely responsive. I consciously avoided a Turbo due to potential maintenance issues. My wife and I are very close to your dimensions, Cedric: not a particular problem. It’s not a Cadillac Escalade; nor was the Mooney.
Several people in AZ have Vikings, and a few around ABQ. As noted above, I’d check out vikingpilots.com (I use the same name there, so feel free to review my plane and experiences). Wood wings aren’t a big deal in the Southwest, but you ABSOLUTELY need to hangar it. Personally I think the Commander would be a nice alternative too, but I’ve never flown one.
Biggest issue? Since it’s a small Viking fleet, upgrading avionics can be challenging due to selective STCs. Bought an STEC 60-2 to replace my Century II; planning a CGR30 and an AV30S along the way.
No plane is perfect—-certainly not one decades old and under $150,000. For me, the BSV is a cost effective solution.
Hope that helps—GLWS!

Welcome to POA. :thumbsup:

I own a tube and fabric airplane. A 78 Bellanca Super Decathlon. I love it, strong and light, but I would not own a tube and fabric airplane in your shoes. While they can be awesome, cost effective aircraft, older fabric requires near constant attention and minor repairs. If you live near the aircraft to manage the process, it's fine. I enjoy doing minor fabric work myself and my A&P is happy to sign me off. But blowing in twice a year with the family and expecting the airplane to be ready to go on a road trip? You are just setting yourself up for aggravation and disappointment.

I’m new to the game, but: fabric, at least on the Viking, holds up well on a hangared aircraft. I see no decrement in viability based upon the fabric aspect: indeed, if used sparingly and otherwise sheltered from the elements, it should hold up perhaps better than a heavily used aircraft.
May/may not be the best choice for Cedric, but it’s not out of the running IMO.

…says the guy whose Avatar shows him standing next to a Packard!:)

Back