Busy Approach

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
How would you manage your Nav's on this one starting out at UBG. Yeah, yeah, just use GPS or rely on Vectors. But either GPS or Radar is required, so lets play VOR. Dual VOR isn't required unless unless you want the minimums that JIKIM allows. Note the note right there under BTG.

https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2009/05063IL13R.PDF

Last edited:
If flying the arc I would use UBG on Nav 1, with the HIO localizer/ILS on standby for Nav 1, and BTG on Nav 2. Once past the 322 lead -in radial for UBG, toggle Nav 1 to the HIO localizer/ILS. Use Nav 2 on BTG to identify the intersections.

Identifying the DOLLA and JIKIM intersections isn't quite as important if you are on the ILS Glideslope. You can verify you are above the altitudes for each intersection, but the GS should be the same, there are no notes otherwise. Thats why the localizer minimums go up so much for one Nav. They don't want you at 500 AGL fiddling with your Nav receiver to identify JIKIM.

I'd also guess in the real world, you'd probably get radar vectors to the localizer, and can skip using UBG VOR for much.

Another possible option I could see, is getting direct BTG (although its not an IAF) at 4500, then direct to DUCKA via the 256 radial. Course reversal at DUCKA and down to 3900 then inbound on the localizer.

Or similar from the UBG VOR as well.

I'd have UGB on NAV1, and BTG on NAV2. Have HIO on ready on the flip flop for NAV1.

Fly to UGB, fly outbound UGB radial 318 at 4500, have 256 radial of BTG set on NAV2. Use that to find DUCKA, which is an IAF.

At the intersection set NAV1 to HIO, do the PT and descend in hold to 3900.

Follow the LOC inbound using NAV1, use NAV2 on BTG to get your stepdown fixes.

If flying the arc I would use UBG on Nav 1, with the HIO localizer/ILS on standby for Nav 1, and BTG on Nav 2. Once past the 322 lead -in radial for UBG, toggle Nav 1 to the HIO localizer/ILS. Use Nav 2 on BTG to identify the intersections.

Identifying the DOLLA and JIKIM intersections isn't quite as important if you are on the ILS Glideslope. You can verify you are above the altitudes for each intersection, but the GS should be the same, there are no notes otherwise. Thats why the localizer minimums go up so much for one Nav. They don't want you at 500 AGL fiddling with your Nav receiver to identify JIKIM.

I'd also guess in the real world, you'd probably get radar vectors to the localizer, and can skip using UBG VOR for much.

I was specifically talking about starting at UBG using the UBG DUCKA feeder route. The lead radial applies to the NoPT DME Arc from DAFFI.

Last edited:
I'd probably do ubg in nav2, and the loc in nav1. Intercept the localizer outbound (remembering that I'm the needle), flip nav 2 to Btg to confirm ducka. Parallel entry for the hilpt, expect to intercept glideslope between ducka and couve.

No way im trying it single nav.

I'd have UGB on NAV1, and BTG on NAV2. Have HIO on ready on the flip flop for NAV1.

Fly to UGB, fly outbound UGB radial 318 at 4500, have 256 radial of BTG set on NAV2. Use that to find DUCKA, which is an IAF.

At the intersection set NAV1 to HIO, do the PT and descend in hold to 3900.

Follow the LOC inbound using NAV1, use NAV2 on BTG to get your stepdown fixes.

Yeah, flip flop Navs make it a little easier. It's been a long time since I've seen one of the older non flip flop type.

I'd probably do ubg in nav2, and the loc in nav1. Intercept the localizer outbound (remembering that I'm the needle), flip nav 2 to Btg to confirm ducka. Parallel entry for the hilpt, expect to intercept glideslope between ducka and couve.

No way im trying it single nav.

Aw c'mon. One of your Nav's just went nips up on ya:(

Yeah, flip flop Navs make it a little easier. It's been a long time since I've seen one of the older non flip flop type.

With the flip flop I suppose you could switch between the LOC and BTG to do this single NAV. I can't remember, on LOC, does the CDI show proper course even when the OBS is spun to a different bearing from the inbound? (I seem to recall that it does, but can't remember for sure.) If so, just flip flop back and forth, no knob spinning required.

Aw c'mon. One of your Nav's just went nips up on ya:(

Where's the nearest VFR?

Actually I was thinking I would need to identify all those fixes, but once your on the ILS, you're good. IDing ducka is really the only time you'd need both, and I think you could do that flip/flopping.

Now, if the glideslope was OOS....

Where's the nearest VFR?

Actually I was thinking I would need to identify all those fixes, but once your on the ILS, you're good. IDing ducka is really the only time you'd need both, and I think you could do that flip/flopping.

Now, if the glideslope was OOS....

Oh, I was treating this as a VOR only exercise. if the GS is in play, it's easier.

I didn't bring it up so much about the step down fixes, but identifying and getting into the HILPT at DUCKA

Yeah, as we've discussed above, you have two lead in radials, BTG 256 and UBG 318. Pick your poison.

Does anyone else find the brown coloring on the chart obscures the type and causes more problems than it is worth?

I can't remember, on LOC, does the CDI show proper course even when the OBS is spun to a different bearing from the inbound?

Yes. OBS on LOC or GPS has no effect on the needle and is for pilot's reference only.

BTG is a feeder fix as indicated by the altitude and course.

Yeah. Flying it from BTG really ain't no thing. From UBG is where it could be an adventure, especially single NAV. It sure looks like what that note is about is the narrow angle between the UBG 318r and the Localizer. 10 degrees. Given that VOR's are good if plus/minus 4 degrees, you could be pretty far from DUCKA just waiting for the LOC needle to center. Maybe just getting it to start moving off the peg.

Back