Busting Obama's Airspace Today

Maybe a 5 mile no drive radius around the Presidential motorcade would help our cause.:)

Don't know about the five mile part, but the freeway system in the Seattle area was pretty much shut down when the motorcade was rolling....all on-ramps were blocked.

Bob Gardner

On the subject of Prez TFR's, if Mr Obama visited Canada or the Bahamas for example, is he given the same 10/30 nm ring as he is here?

No. FAA jurisdiction ends at the FIR boundary. Check out the TFR the US had for the olympics. Canada actually had one to meet it on the other side.

There was a lot of concern about whether the TFRs for Deep Water Horizon were enforceable beyond 12 nm. If I recall correctly, they published them but would not enforce beyond 12 miles. We wouldn't want people to actually see what 210 million gallons of oil looks like while we spray another 2 million gallons of experimental dispersant on it. Sorry, that one's personal.

From a standpoint of FAA enforcement, there is no difference whatsoever -- penetration, however slight, is sufficient to complete the offense.

I will leave the obvious jokes out of this one. :lol:

While I see your point it still is not the case in the real world. I've been accused of bumping MCI "B" space and was asked to call ATC when I landed. We talked, I knew where I was at all times, I had the correct altimeter setting, and 2 WAAS GPSs to tell me where I was, but they still insisted I busted the space. If I would have clearly busted the space there would have been enforcement action, in this case it was so slight or non existent they let it pass with a verbal warning.

The radar they are using for traffic is not as accurate as a WAAS GPS, and intent is EVERYTHING when the FAA investigates alleged violations.

Nothing is as black and white as you make it out to be. ;)

Last edited:
I think more accurately, his motivations are not the same as those that decide what actual response should be made. He's trying to prevent future issues for the good of GA through education; not decide which incursions require response.

:yes:

It would happen with ANY president. Don't hang this one on Obama...it is not his decision to make.

Bob Gardner

Don't we in Texas know it! The sole discernible benefit I've found from having this... person... in the White House is that he does not come to Texas much, so few TFR events now.

Don't know about the five mile part, but the freeway system in the Seattle area was pretty much shut down when the motorcade was rolling....all on-ramps were blocked.

Bob Gardner

I drove in some motorcades in Houston earlier in life. Good fun, driving on a swept freeway with motorjocks covering exits. Very disruptive, too.

While I see your point it still is not the case in the real world. I've been accused of bumping MCI "B" space and was asked to call ATC when I landed. We talked, I knew where I was at all times, I had the correct altimeter setting, and 2 WAAS GPSs to tell me where I was, but they still insisted I busted the space. If I would have clearly busted the space there would have been enforcement action, in this case it was so slight or non existent they let it pass with a verbal warning.

The radar they are using for traffic is not as accurate as a WAAS GPS, and intent is EVERYTHING when the FAA investigates alleged violations.

Sad commentary on where we've gone.

While I see your point it still is not the case in the real world....

While I won't deny the good sense you make with your post, my experience suggests that Ron is exactly correct when it comes to the security TFRs. They really mean business and allow no latitude at all for mistakes of any kind. Be very, very careful.

And do keep in mind that this whole system was put in place for that paragon of Compassionate Conservatism George W. Bush. That said, Obama is the POTUS and could have put a stop to the whole thing had he chose to do so. The secret service is part of the executive branch and takes their marching orders from him.

"LOS ANGELES (AP) — Military jets patrolling over a fundraising appearance by President Barack Obama in Los Angeles were scrambled after an aircraft entered restricted airspace."

If the jets were already "patrolling" over the neighborhood, how can they be "scrambled" to intercept the C-152 or whatever the threat was. It seems to me that they would have just been told to cruise over and check it out.

Also, as mentioned above, if someone wanted to get our President with their Piper Cessna, a TFR will not have much bearing on the matter at all. It sort of reminds me of our gun laws, they are only in place to catch the law abiding citizen, kind of like setting up an entrapment thing our authorities are so fond of doing....probably more about feeling important than anything else.

-John

Also, as mentioned above, if someone wanted to get our President with their Piper Cessna, a TFR will not have much bearing on the matter at all.

I hear this a lot and always wonder how people think the determination that an aircraft is a threat would be made without a TFR.

Okay, if we were in fantasy land where this wasn't a legitimate threat, then sure, do away with the TFRs. But back in reality, it is a threat. If the TFR wasn't there and 1200 codes or no transponder aircraft are just flying around a VIP, how do we know which is the threat? Just wait until the crazy announces his intentions on the radio? Be placed in a situation where reaction time is seconds, if at all?

I hear this a lot and always wonder how people think the determination that an aircraft is a threat would be made without a TFR.

Okay, if we were in fantasy land where this wasn't a legitimate threat, then sure, do away with the TFRs. But back in reality, it is a threat. If the TFR wasn't there and 1200 codes or no transponder aircraft are just flying around a VIP, how do we know which is the threat? Just wait until the crazy announces his intentions on the radio? Be placed in a situation where reaction time is seconds, if at all?

Your explanation makes sense, however your example does little to bolster your argument for TFRs.

"The plane was noticed by radar technicians at National Airport several minutes before he tried to steer it into the wall of the White House. At 1:49 a.m., he hit the South Lawn and died on impact.
The crash caused a re-evaluation in security procedures around the White House, as the pilot had entered restricted airspace. Though the White House is rumored to be equipped with surface-to-air missiles, none were fired. The Secret Service has neither confirmed nor dispelled the rumor.[2]"

The enemy aircraft made it all the way to the White House south lawn, even though a permanent restricted airspace was in place. How would a Temporary Restricted Airspace have changed that?

Spending millions of taxpayer dollars every time our President goes out on a fundraising trip does almost nothing to help our nation, or are TFRs part of the plan of trying to recoup some of the money spent on the trip by fining the poor sap who made a miscalculation in his navigating?

Would a TFR stop some maniac flying a powered hang glider at treetop level, or perhaps a mortar round fired from a nearby back yard?

TFRs stop honest pilots flying in plain view, they do not stop idiots who are hell bent on attacking our President.

It's all security theater.

-John

Last edited:

B-space is not the same as a Presidential TFR or the SFRA/FRZ, the subjects of this thread, for which there are no warnings, no wrist-slaps, and no get-out-of-jail-free cards. What there is for those are certificate actions and bad publicity. Just give them a wide berth which takes into account everything from navigational errors to the inaccuracies of their radar (which is going to be the standard by which the court judges your actions, not your more accurate GPS) and don't draw unnecessary negative attention to GA.

That said, Obama is the POTUS and could have put a stop to the whole thing had he chose to do so. The secret service is part of the executive branch and takes their marching orders from him.
Not on this score. They acceded to a Presidential demand to remove a security precaution 50 years ago this past week, and the result was a dead President. After that, their marching orders from Congress were changed so the President cannot order them to relax security restrictions they feel necessary to make absolutely certain that doesn't happen again. You give an agency essentially unlimited authority and a single mission (don't let the President come to any harm whatsoever) , and this is the predictable result.

What Ron is pointing out is that as far as the FAA is concerned, a slight sideswipe bust is going to screw you as much as heading directly inbound before they turn you around.

While I won't deny the good sense you make with your post, my experience suggests that Ron is exactly correct when it comes to the security TFRs. They really mean business and allow no latitude at all for mistakes of any kind. Be very, very careful.

And do keep in mind that this whole system was put in place for that paragon of Compassionate Conservatism George W. Bush. That said, Obama is the POTUS and could have put a stop to the whole thing had he chose to do so. The secret service is part of the executive branch and takes their marching orders from him.
Yes, I agree that Ron is dead on target.

Some years ago I violated the Washington SFRA before it was reshaped and simplified. Flying out of Kentmorr 3W3, the requirement was to fly straight towards the nearest exit point and to exit before making any turns. The nearest edge at that time was defined by V93 near GRACO. I flew towards V93 and then, when the needle started to move, I turned south to intercept the airway. When I called up Patuxent I was told to call someone upon landing.

They explained that I was supposed to exit the SFRA by crossing V93 flying east. Then I could turn back to V93 to intercept it. Was it okay to fly V93 since it was the airspace boundary? Yes, but to intercept it I needed to fly thru it before turning for the intercept - no allowance for intercepting turns on the west side of V93. Wow!

Post-violation I was suddenly able to fully grok the situation. There is zero tolerance for violation, period. And note that this is not a B space violation. I have to admit that if I were managing the people monitoring this stuff, that is exactly the way I would do it. On the other hand, while the person on the phone made it clear that I had violated the rules and was subject to action, no action was taken in the end.

That seems both quite strict and flexible. The definition of a violation is specific and unbending, very black and white. The penalty however can be flexibly administered as it was in my case. I just waited until nothing else happened to me.

If you are intent on brushing up against a TFR, cutting a corner, or otherwise need to test the boundaries of reasonableness, you need to read what Ron and others said carefully.

Your explanation makes sense, however your example does little to bolster your argument for TFRs.

"The plane was noticed by radar technicians at National Airport several minutes before he tried to steer it into the wall of the White House. At 1:49 a.m., he hit the South Lawn and died on impact.
The crash caused a re-evaluation in security procedures around the White House, as the pilot had entered restricted airspace. Though the White House is rumored to be equipped with surface-to-air missiles, none were fired. The Secret Service has neither confirmed nor dispelled the rumor.[2]"

The enemy aircraft made it all the way to the White House south lawn, even though a permanent restricted airspace was in place. How would a Temporary Restricted Airspace have changed that?
Everything changed after 9/11. The biggest change is that there are no layers of defenses and a much more robust threat identification/determination system in place. These systems were developed and tested using a range of threat aircraft from Cessna 172's to a BD-5J Microjet simulating a cruise missile. There are lethal air defense systems in place, along with a lot of means to identify the intruder and take appropriate action -- which is why Shaeffer and Martin survived their own incompetence. It was because those systems were in place that the air defenders were able to determine who was in the plane and what their intentions were before they reached the point where they would have been splashed.

It's all security theater.
Absolute rubbish, and clearly the real threat forces believe it works or they would have pressed to test already. It might be easy to say that since nothing has happened, we can drop all that, but the price of freedom is eternal vigilance, so it goes on and will continue to go on until there is no threat.

Absolute rubbish, and clearly the real threat forces believe it works or they would have pressed to test already.

Precisely the argument to be made for all forms of security. Saying the TSA has never stopped a terrorist is a good thing for Christ's sake. I can't understand how this is lost on people or they feel their freedom is somehow being trampled by being asked to not carry a knife on a plane or not fly near the leader of the free world. If you don't like him, fine, I hope the next one suits you better, but that' not the issue.

I'm not disagreeing with Protecting our President, it's the little nit picking stuff like someone inadvertently skirting the edge of a TFR zone, especially when the aircraft in question is clearly not making a run at the reason for a TFR.

Then putting the guy through the information gathering grinder, or fining him for a mistake in navigation, just does not seem right to me. I've never busted a TFR, but I did bust the edge of Bravo several times years ago. ATC simply gave me a new heading, that was the end of it.

That is all that should have taken place, not "scrambeling" a couple of billion dollar jets that will burn in fuel more than most small planes are worth.

The jets should be scrambled when the threat looks real, not skirting the edge.

But then the jets are from free money, and so is the fuel and crew, so theater is OK....right?

-John

The F16s can maintain fairly low speeds. They cannot, however, fire weapons outside the speed gates . . .

Re: Busting Obama's Airspace T

Not on this score. They acceded to a Presidential demand to remove a security precaution 50 years ago this past week, and the result was a dead President. After that, their marching orders from Congress were changed so the President cannot order them to relax security restrictions they feel necessary to make absolutely certain that doesn't happen again. You give an agency essentially unlimited authority and a single mission (don't let the President come to any harm whatsoever) , and this is the predictable result.

I see a constitutional issue here involving the separation of powers. Any POTUS could pursue this in a number of ways if they really cared to do so. And if you really think this is any more than security theatre you're sadly deluded.

I see a constitutional issue here involving the separation of powers. Any POTUS could pursue this in a number of ways if they really cared to do so. And if you really think this is any more than security theatre you're sadly deluded.

Agreed..................

With all the BS that BHO has pushed through with his ability using the "executive order"...... If he wanted the SS to back off and save some money then they would tuck their tails between their legs and head home...

With the premise that "ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL" in our founding documents.. I want to know if I can get the same security detail as the POTUS gets.......... After all......... We are ALL equal... Ain't we.:dunno:

And your lack of knowledge about constitutional law is exceeded only by your lack of knowledge about air defense operations. Adios.

They did identify two aircraft that violated the TFR over LA...
Separately, two military aircraft made “unintentional incursions” into the airspace, said Kristie Greco, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration. No jets were scrambled to deal with those planes.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...44b67e-56d2-11e3-bdbf-097ab2a3dc2b_story.html

Think they were met by law enforcement when ther landed? Think the pilots are going to be grounded for 60/90/180 days like a civilian pilot would?

Agreed..................

With all the BS that BHO has pushed through with his ability using the "executive order"...... If he wanted the SS to back off and save some money then they would tuck their tails between their legs and head home...
You think he's even aware of it? Do they still have town hall type meetings were you can ask questions? Seems this might be a good thing to ask about. "Hey, we love having you visit and all, but do you realize you're shutting down most air operations for a dozen local airports because of your visit. My friends who make their living as pilots can't work today because you're in town and the small businesses at all those airports can't make any money either because of a flight restriction you're causing. Think maybe you can look into changing that so you're not hurting small businesses everywhere you go?"

With the premise that "ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL" in our founding documents.. I want to know if I can get the same security detail as the POTUS gets.......... After all......... We are ALL equal... Ain't we.:dunno:
You are forgetting that some of us are more equal than others.

They did identify two aircraft that violated the TFR over LA...

Think they were met by law enforcement when ther landed? Think the pilots are going to be grounded for 60/90/180 days like a civilian pilot would?
Yes, they will be met by local LEOs

My question is do they use ATC radar to ID targets, I know if I drop below too low ATC loses me, so if crazy cessna 150 stays low they may never see it coming

My question is do they use ATC radar to ID targets, I know if I drop below too low ATC loses me, so if crazy cessna 150 stays low they may never see it coming
They do use ATC radar, but with Presidential airspace, they also have other radar systems in use, and you can't fly your Cessna 150 low enough to beat those systems without getting a traffic ticket.

They do use ATC radar, but with Presidential airspace, they also have other radar systems in use, and you can't fly your Cessna 150 low enough to beat those systems without getting a traffic ticket.

Ron is correct......

When 9-11 happened I saw things here that would astound most people... Keep in mind Cheney lived about 4 miles away and he was bunkered up at his home... AWACS way up high, portable ground based radar site site set up. 24 / 7 fighter jets circling..... That was a week to remember for sure...

He was safe and sound.... The thing that worried all of us neighbors is if one attack snuck through the defenses... We all would have been collateral damage...:yesnod::eek:

Last edited:
The thing that worried all of us neighbors is if one attach snuck through the defenses... We all would have been collateral damage...:yesnod::eek:
If I lived near one of those protectees, one sneaking through would not be my concern -- I'd be a lot more worried about the flaming wreckage of the intruder falling on my head.

Really? According to the original news article, they didn't find the "intruder" airplane. It was gone when the jets got there.

Or maybe was never there to start with. A case of "We think you were in the airspace and we're NEVER wrong" maybe?

Really? According to the original news article, they didn't find the "intruder" airplane. It was gone when the jets got there.

Or maybe was never there to start with. A case of "We think you were in the airspace and we're NEVER wrong" maybe?
Believe that if you want. Just please don't act on the idea you can get away with it.

Presidential TFRs have been in effect for quite some time now and yes, Bush had the same dimensions when he was POTUS and he did nothing to reduce the size either. Not saying I agree with the size of the TFRs but they are necessary.

As Ron & Ben said the identification of intruders significantly changed after 9/11. Next time the POTUS comes to town go out to some of your local airports and you'll see Army ADA personel with their portable radar. I talked to them a few months ago during a visit and while they didn't disclose their ROE procedures, it's safe to say your little Cessna isn't getting through without being seen. Also, everyone thinks the point is to shoot down the intruder. No, the point of early warning is to get the POTUS to a safe place before the intruder becomes a threat.

Precisely the argument to be made for all forms of security. Saying the TSA has never stopped a terrorist is a good thing for Christ's sake. I can't understand how this is lost on people or they feel their freedom is somehow being trampled by being asked to not carry a knife on a plane or not fly near the leader of the free world. If you don't like him, fine, I hope the next one suits you better, but that' not the issue.

I find these "end justifies the means" arguments very troubling. Anyone who doesn't find the new "body scanners" troubling scares the crap out of me.

At the end of the day, what they are doing with regard to TSA procedures is as much for show as it is anything else. It is designed to make people "feel safe", and more importantly, to provide political cover for those whose power trip existence depends on it. Are the rank and file TSA trying? Perhaps. Are they succeeding? Not in my eyes.

Under your argument, it would seem that we should all just fly in airline issued coveralls and be completely separated from all of our possessions until we land. Sounds like cold war Russia, REGARDLESS of the occupant of the White House....

Individual rights are the BASIS for group rights. Without individual rights we have nothing, except a police state. The TSA is such a mess it really doesn't even warrant a discussion any longer.

Bob Gardner

In the DC suburbs, we are very familiar with the "rolling roadblock". They start shutting down on-ramps along the whole route as soon as the motorcade leaves the White House. There is an active sweep about 5 miles in front of the motorcade, and people are let back on to the highway when the motorcade is about 2 miles past.

The president almost never goes anywhere by car during the morning or evening rush because the effects would be crippling.

Not on this score. They acceded to a Presidential demand to remove a security precaution 50 years ago this past week, and the result was a dead President.
Which security precaution was that? Not the bubble-top; that was only protection against the elements, and the decision to remove it was made by the Secret Service because the skies were clear.

The fact of the matter is, no SAM is going to be fired on a civilian aircraft in CONUS. It just isn't going to happen. Raining fiery bits of a Cessna and innocent Americans down over a DSCC fundraiser for no good reason is a sure way to turn the public against this security theater. And if a real threat was perceived, they'd be moving POTUS off the X anyway.

And yes, it's 100% security theater, because it doesn't actually increase security. The good news is that most people I know realize that the "everything changed on 9/11" line is only used to bolster fiefdoms. So hopefully it won't last much longer.

Which security precaution was that? Not the bubble-top; that was only protection against the elements, and the decision to remove it was made by the Secret Service because the skies were clear.
Wrong on both counts. It removed by personal demand of JFK over the recommendations of USSS, and it would have shielded him from the shot. Might not have been bullet-proof, but it would have made an effective shot a lot more difficult. In any event, that was the trigger to removing the Presidential option to discard USSS security precautions.

The fact of the matter is, no SAM is going to be fired on a civilian aircraft in CONUS. It just isn't going to happen.
Wrong again. Clearly you have no knowledge or understanding of air defense operations and the RoE in effect today. And the only reason UA 93 wasn't splashed is that it crashed before that could happen -- in fact, unarmed DC ANG F-16's up on a training mission were going to ram it before it got too close to DC (no armed aircraft were in a position to get there in time, and no SAM's were in position). That was documented in an AW&ST story shortly after the event.

Wrong on both counts. It removed by personal demand of JFK over the recommendations of USSS, and it would have shielded him from the shot. Might not have been bullet-proof, but it would have made an effective shot a lot more difficult. In any event, that was the trigger to removing the Presidential option to discard USSS security precautions.

Wrong again. Clearly you have no knowledge or understanding of air defense operations and the RoE in effect today. And the only reason UA 93 wasn't splashed is that it crashed before that could happen -- in fact, unarmed DC ANG F-16's up on a training mission were going to ram it before it got too close to DC (no armed aircraft were in a position to get there in time, and no SAM's were in position). That was documented in an AW&ST story shortly after the event.

Doesn't the President exercise that option every inauguration day when they hop out of the limo to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue to be with "the people"?

Doesn't the President exercise that option every inauguration day when they hop out of the limo to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue to be with "the people"?
Not without prior USSS coordination/approval and appropriate building search/control, and crowd screening/control. It's not a spur-of-the-moment deal. In Dallas, the USSS had specific threats and concerns about possible attempts on JFK, and opposed the relaxation of the rules which he demanded and got (and then got shot for his trouble).

The fact of the matter is, no SAM is going to be fired on a civilian aircraft in CONUS. It just isn't going to happen. Raining fiery bits of a Cessna and innocent Americans down over a DSCC fundraiser for no good reason is a sure way to turn the public against this security theater. And if a real threat was perceived, they'd be moving POTUS off the X anyway.

And yes, it's 100% security theater, because it doesn't actually increase security. The good news is that most people I know realize that the "everything changed on 9/11" line is only used to bolster fiefdoms. So hopefully it won't last much longer.

It will start changing rapidly when they start getting voted out of office.

-John

As someone who was standing watch on a DDG that got underway two hours after the towers fell, I can say this: we had all the keys on station in CIC and standing by to kill, on order, anything entering US airspace that jets couldn't reach first. It was a very surreal time.

Back