Busted Class C

MAKG1

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
MAKG
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Well, that's what I feel like anyway.

I'm in LA with nothing to do 'cause of a stupid security fiasco at work, so I thought I'd go flying. Went off to an old FBO that checked me out in a Warrior like three years ago. They agreed to rent me a 172 with 180 HP conversion, no trouble and no checkout (thanks!).

The forecast was questionable -- AIRMET SIERRA for mountain obscuration and TANGO for moderate turbulence below 18000. Plus scattered clouds at 2000 on the coast and MVFR (haze) inland. All a lie. I could see the southern mountains and there were a couple of little tiny puffy cumulus clouds over the highest part and nothing else. So I decided to pop across the basin.

The outbound trip went without a hitch. Got cleared to the Coastal Route and SoCal piped up that I was crossing the requisite radial just as I was turning onto it, thinking that I might be overshooting. They cleared me for an uncharted VFR descent south of LAX VOR. No prob. Contacted Torrance Tower and made a nice landing. As for MVFR, I could clearly see the high mountains north of the City, for at least 30 miles vis. Not a cloud in the sky and only insignificant chop over the highest mountains. About 10 knots wind straight down the runway.

On the departure, I had planned the Hollywood Park route, as I wanted the 7000+ foot altitude to cross the San Gabriels anyway and the airspace is considerably simpler up there. SoCal thought I was screwing up and suggested the Mini route. Mistake #1: I said OK. I'm not prepared for that route. As far as LAX and across the Class B, it's all fine. At the end, I get handed off to Santa Monica Tower and told to squawk VFR despite the request for flight following. So, I transition Santa Monica and then try to contact SoCal to get flight following back. Now, I'm getting into Sepulveda Pass, and it's getting turbulent -- I'm really too close to the terrain for conditions. So, I look at the chart; Class B floor is 5000, so I start climbing to 4500 and call SoCal. SoCal answers with my tail number and immediately tells me to remain clear of Class B and C and stand by, and then blasts off a whole string of approach instructions into Burbank to other aircraft. He gets back to me, and informs me I'm in Class C. CRAP I didn't look at the Class C ceiling, and it's not the usual 4000, but rather 4800, and I'm at 4200 climbing. Then he says "it's OK, no traffic around there." No phone number to call, but I feel STUPID. Yes, I did the ASRS thing. If the FAA wants me to take some remedial airspace training, I'll do it (heck, I probably won't wait for it -- that wasn't acceptable), which is why I'm not posting this anonymously. I have no desire to hide that mistake or any consequences (self imposed or otherwise), and I hope some people can learn from it. Even if they want a 44709 ride (which seems unlikely).

Yes, that's my first airspace bust. I hope it's the last. My position was directly on the extended centerline of VNY, so this could have been a lot worse. But it seems no one flies IFR jets out of there on a nice Sunday afternoon (?).

Last edited:
I know right where you were. That BUR crossing altitude even affects the pattern altitude at VNY. Stuff is just crammed tight in there.

Glad it had a reasonably happy ending. I never saw such a cluster... as LAX air traffic before I lived there for a brief period. That was a long long time ago and I suspect it hasn't gotten any better.

The top of the Burbank Class C is the normal 4,000 AGL.

Yeah, I know. What I didn't realize was that Burbank was at 800 feet. Most of the other airports further south are right at sea level.

At least I didn't make the same mistake at Fox. That could have been messy.

even SNA and LGB are not 'at sea level.' They're a couple hundred feet just like LAX.

It happens - no harm no foul this time - next time maybe the IFR into that confusing airspace if you're not here all the time - the Class B ends pretty quick at the pass. The Class C then starts up.

Its why I do 6500 from POC - CMA/SBA etc - you above all the crap and below the airliners descending over SADDE and BAYST.

That is my one beef with the Mini route NB. SMO tower will always dump ya for some stupid reason and leave you in the situation that you found yourself in rather than facilitate a handoff. I have learned to make SMO tower to at least give me the So Cal frequency if they are gonna dump me!

The airspace is so complex down there that I am very reluctant to fly a different route than I have prepared for.

The airspace is so complex down there that I am very reluctant to fly a different route than I have prepared for.

Not that it is necessary, but that is why I love Foreflight flying in LA airspace. I keep ALL the transition routes as well as a B/C/D avoidance route all saved in the favorites. Allows you to "punt" much more effectively especially not being from that area and knowing the airspace intimately.

Hopefully your ASRS report included being dumped by SMO. If you don't wanna talk to ATC you would have been on the SFRA route! Unlike a lot of other areas ATC WANTS you on FF down there.

Last edited:
What would the exact infraction be?

All you need to enter Class C is two-way radio communication. You had that. So not really an "airspace bust", is it?

I guess it's more not complying with an ATC instruction, right?

What would the exact infraction be?

All you need to enter Class C is two-way radio communication. You had that. So not really an "airspace bust", is it?

I guess it's more not complying with an ATC instruction, right?

Yes. I was instructed to remain clear, and I didn't.

Not that it is necessary, but that is why I love Foreflight flying in LA airspace. I keep ALL the transition routes as well as a B/C/D avoidance route all saved in the favorites. Allows you to "punt" much more effectively especially not being from that area and knowing the airspace intimately.

Hopefully your ASRS report included being dumped by SMO. If you don't wanna talk to ATC you would have been on the SFRA route! Unlike a lot of other areas ATC WANTS you on FF down there.

Well, the tablet was little help. I plugged it into the 12V outlet, and it crashed immediately. Did the same thing to the external GPS. Despite the label, I think that outlet was 24V.

Oh, and the 430 doesn't have a "nearest approach" page.

The real lesson is to take a paper TAC and not rely on electronic gizmos in complex airspace.

Actually, I was dumped by LAX Tower and then handed off to SMO. SMO didn't do the dumping. And that detail is in the report, as it's a rather significant contributor.

I have yet to experience approach controllers who don't want to talk to you. Well, once. NorCal told me to **** off right after the Asiana crash.

Last edited:
Well, the tablet was little help. I plugged it into the 12V outlet, and it crashed immediately. Did the same thing to the external GPS.

Well then of course you shouldn't have taken off!...and if you were in the air you would have had to declare an emergency and land immediately! Even if it was at LAX!:yes:...:no:

"...errrr sorry that you had to divert the 747...but my ipad went out!"

Curious though since you are sharing for us all to learn from...what was the result of the C bust? Was it the uncertainty of your exact position in relation to the C airspace due to the unexpected workload of the route change and FF dump or simply the failure to realize that the ceiling was at 4800'?

Last edited:
The SoCAl controllers working the South end of the BUR sector are very sensitive to incursions into the departure areas for the SID's off of BUR and VNY. Also that area you were flying in requires a good amount of familiarity of the airspace when operating there. Its super easy to get into trouble there.

Well then of course you shouldn't have taken off!...and if you were in the air you would have had to declare an emergency and land immediately! Even if it was at LAX!:yes:...:no:

"...errrr sorry that you had to divert the 747...but my ipad went out!"

Curious though since you are sharing for us all to learn from...what was the result of the C bust? Was it the uncertainty of your exact position in relation to the C airspace due to the unexpected workload of the route change and FF dump or simply the failure to realize that the ceiling was at 4800'?

Well, those aren't separate. I got task saturated and started to miss stuff. In this case, the C ceiling altitude and its south boundary (since a C abuts a B, there is only a blue line -- but if I'd had a more careful look, I would have seen that).

Live and learn. LA airspace is one area where I'd rather go IFR even on a clear day just to avoid those kinds of issues. Glad it worked out okay.

If the controller said no worries then you have no worries, as far as punishments go anyways. Sounds to me like you made a somewhat minor mistake in a very complex airspace and the controller probably sees the same thing on a daily basis. I know busting airspace is not a minor thing, but in this case it's a lot more understandable than just happily flying along not talking to anyone right in the middle of a controlled space. You missed by a couple hundred feet, not by a couple thousand. I'd study up on the charts for next time, but otherwise not sweat too much about it.

Excellent idea. I will have to play around with ForeFlight to learn how to do this.

Well, the tablet was little help. I plugged it into the 12V outlet, and it crashed immediately. Did the same thing to the external GPS. Despite the label, I think that outlet was 24V.

That's why I got an external battery for my iPad.

However, I thought that the little device that goes into the cigarette lighter outlet that you then plug your USB cord into is supposed to give the ipad whatever volts/currents it requires, even if the aircraft is giving you 24volts?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back