Busted Checkride write up

I busted my private in '91 - failed the engine out portion.
Practiced and nailed it the second time.

Hang in there.

I also can't get my head wrapped around all the people diagnosing the DPE with Alzheimer's. We have basically one persons, who feels he was wronged by the individual, rant about the person and some of you want to commit him to the nursing home.

I also can't get my head wrapped around all the people diagnosing the DPE with Alzheimer's. We have basically one persons, who feels he was wronged by the individual, rant about the person and some of you want to commit him to the nursing home.

Welcome to POA.... Home of experts of all kinds :)

Actually the DPE in question has a pretty good record.

Actually the DPE in question has a pretty good record.

Exactly, there is one member that had a bad experience and everyone is condemning the examiner as having severely reduced mental function.

Another member seems to know him, has had multiple experiences with him and hasn't had a problem but all his posts are ignored or challenged.

Btw, this thread has been going for awhile, has the OP got his license yet? Normally the retest happens within a couple of weeks. Not knocking the OP at all either, just curious.

Exactly, there is one member that had a bad experience and everyone is condemning the examiner as having severely reduced mental function.

Another member seems to know him, has had multiple experiences with him and hasn't had a problem but all his posts are ignored or challenged.

Btw, this thread has been going for awhile, has the OP got his license yet? Normally the retest happens within a couple of weeks. Not knocking the OP at all either, just curious.

No, The check ride 8 days ago and I posted earlier, I'm colorado now. The local flight school is so damn busy that the next available flight is next week, and they have over 5 airplanes.

I've not been replying to the thread because it's basically run its course. The basic is this. I had a bad experience and because of that did some looking around and met several people who also have, or frequently deal with those who have.

Not saying its the usual, not saying it isnt. For all I know its personality driven. As with anything, take it with a grain of salt, but if I cant fit in my check ride out here since I'm too busy studying orbital physics and rocket propulsion or the flight school is too busy to fit my schedule, a DPE back home is willing to do a check ride with me for basically nothing, because he knows of the examiner and situation.

If not out here, it will be mid-April. Out here it will take a few extra hours to adjust to altitude and a new airplane. Back home my first take offs and landings were on a 2000 foot strip at sea level. Here I'm at 6700' with density altitude sometimes closer to 10k

Just curious: What are the criteria for whether a DPE's record is good or not?

Several things. Complaints is a big item, especially if they are legit. Paperwork is another area that gets some in trouble (although now with almost everything being IACRA that has decreased significantly).

High activity (more than 50 check rides per quarter) gets a DPE looked at a little closer, if more than 2 checkrides are scheduled within 24 hours (although he may do 2 full checks and a recheck in that period), attending annual training is a must and of course their annual check rides.

If a high activity examiner has a 100% pass rate, he may be looked at a bit closer or monitored, conversely if he has an extremely high fail rate that calls for additional surveillance.

And finally activity. An examiner not doing any, or hardly any checkrides may need to be evaluated if his position is really necessary.

@R&W,

On that topic, recently the local instructors are telling me that the FAA is on them to quit giving an IPC and BFR on the same day so the instructors tell me that I need to schedule them individually of different days.

Is it true that the FAA frowns on this? If so, why?

I'll ask a friend of mine, but personally I never heard of that.

Sounds like someone has misunderstood something.:dunno:

As with anything FAA wise, if an Inspector is making such a request, all they need to do is have the Inspector show them in the regulations where this supposedly is. That usually makes it go away. :rolleyes:

Follow up: I checked around and the ones I spoke with said they have never heard this or seen anything on it. :dunno:

Last edited:
Back