Busted Charlie

W

Whoops!

Lost situational awareness due to a combination of factors - nonpilot passenger, turbulence, new equipment in plane, and low ceiling. My airport is under a class C shelf and I departed the pattern normally heading away from the area. I saw a nice hole and decided to climb up through it. Unfortunately, I climbed right up into the outer ring of class C. Usually I get flight following soon after takeoff, but this was just a short sightseeing hop with no real destination. Once I realized my mistake I immediately turned to exit the airspace as fast as possible, which was maybe two minutes. I considered calling ATC, but I was already almost out of it.

This was a flight planning failure as I should have had more of a plan. Also I was fiddling with a new system for the first time.

Filed NASA report.

Doubtful ATC saw it and if they did, doubtful they cared. But, file your NASA.

Probably didn’t even notice you,don’t think they where worried since you got right out of the C.

What did Charlie do to make you bust him..?? :lol::lol:

image.jpeg

Were you squawking 1200? If so they probably don't even know who you are.
More important questions:
1) Do you have ADS-B Out?
2) If so, was it set to anonymous mode?
;)

NASA report is good.
I normally monitor approach frequency if I am near their airspace and I have been referred to in the past as "unknown target at XYX altitude, he's not talking to me". :) If I become a problem, I call in to try to make it easier.
But then again, I usually am on FF if near a bigger airspace operating VFR.

That's when you drop down to 500' agl, kill the transponder, and do some barnstorming back to your airport. :cool:

I have busted bravo before but never charlie.
Makes you feel real dumb when you do it.

Once you're ADSB equipped ATC will know exactly who you are. All the joys of 2020. I wonder if nastygrams are going to emanate from the FAA for all those inadvertent incursions.

Not necessarily. The radar we have (Tucson) can't interpret ADS-B yet and I don't know how many FAA facilities have them installed. We are scheduled to get them by the end of the year.

Does DM and TUS share the same radar equipment, out of curiosity?

Once you're ADSB equipped ATC will know exactly who you are. All the joys of 2020. I wonder if nastygrams are going to emanate from the FAA for all those inadvertent incursions.

Automated letters + administrative law = “safety”

But they, think of the children lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back