Business jet silhouettes?

StinkBug

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Dallas
The "do you ever look down" thread got me thinking about how much looking UP I do at home. I live under the IAF for my home airport, and all day long is a pretty constant stream of business jets. I can spot a citation from a mile away, with that straight wing, as well as the Piaggio, Pilatus and a few others, but I often have a hard time identifying the various jets. They all have a swept wing, T-tail and empenage mounted engines, so from 2500' below it can be hard to figure out what's overhead.

Anyone know where I can find a good list of biz jets with their plan forms? It's fairly easy to find them for boeings and big military planes, but less so for Gulfstreams, Challengers, Lears, BeechJets, etc.

The "do you ever look down" thread got me thinking about how much looking UP I do at home. I live under the IAF for my home airport, and all day long is a pretty constant stream of business jets. I can spot a citation from a mile away, with that straight wing, as well as the Piaggio, Pilatus and a few others, but I often have a hard time identifying the various jets. They all have a swept wing, T-tail and empenage mounted engines, so from 2500' below it can be hard to figure out what's overhead.

Anyone know where I can find a good list of biz jets with their plan forms? It's fairly easy to find them for boeings and big military planes, but less so for Gulfstreams, Challengers, Lears, BeechJets, etc.

The Citation 500 series has a straight wing, but not all Citations..

Meh, unless its something unique like a Beech Starship, Piaggio, etc. I don't even try to identify them. I appreciate them, and have sat in the cockpit of a few newer Falcons (not as PIC), but they just don't draw my attention enough to do more than glance up for a second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Citation 500 series has a straight wing, but not all Citations..

Yes you are correct, however that doesn't change the fact that the straight wing CJs are easy to spot from below, and the rest tend to blend together.

Yes you are correct, however that doesn't change the fact that the straight wing CJs are easy to spot from below, and the rest tend to blend together.

Not only the CJ's... There are many other straight winged 500 Cessna's.

They're all pretty easy to spot imo. Years of searching airliners.net and flipping through those books, I guess.

Not only the CJ's... There are many other straight winged 500 Cessna's.

I'm sure he is calling all Cessna Jets (Citations) CJs. A lot of people are unaware that a Citation =/= CJ

yes, exactly. The discussion was more about identifying planes from the ground than which cessna product has a straight wing or not, unless you wanna post some plan form photos showing the differences between all the different models.

yes, exactly. The discussion was more about identifying planes from the ground than which cessna product has a straight wing or not, unless you wanna post some plan form photos showing the differences between all the different models.

Most of the citations share a similar win, like things in the 500 and 560 families. The citation III and VII are the same (swept wing) the 680 is pretty straight like the 560xl. The 750 is very swept. The CJ's 1-3s have about the same wing. The CJ 4 has canoes on it like a bigger plane but looks similar to the other CJs

The mix up, as noted by NJP, was that many people call all Citations "Citation Jets, or CJ's". The confusion is because there is actually a specific model of Citations named "CJ". So, when somebody says CJ, I think of the specific model, whereas most think of a generic Citation.

Sorry for muddying the waters.

FBOs use to scale cutouts for ramp planning. I'd guess they get them from somewhere and that somewhere must have a web presence. That'd be the angle I'd take.

Honestly, your best bet is to sit out there and watch them fly over with FlightAware open. Then you know exactly what you're looking at.

Honestly, your best bet is to sit out there and watch them fly over with FlightAware open. Then you know exactly what you're looking at.

FA is still horrendously delayed :( (10-15 minutes) so it might be better to use LiveATC or a scanner to listen to the overflying airplanes.

Fr24.com showing ADSB traffic only - it's realtime.

Back