Burning Man

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
Potta potties are filling up and can't be emptied due to the rains closing the access road.
Never really understood the whole concept. But each to his own.

I have lived in Northern Nevada most of my life except for a decade overseas. You could not pay me enough to attend Burning Man. It rained here most of the day and I would guess it will be mid week before the playa starts to really dry out.

I would go for the sex and the drugs and the sex and the music but not so much for the dirty hippies and sand and now mud.

And if the water event every so often weren't enough, you can depend on the talc from the playa re-breaking in the rings on your pistons. Yurk. Very short ground operations.

And if the water event every so often weren't enough, you can depend on the talc from the playa re-breaking in the rings on your pistons. Yurk. Very short ground operations.

Negative. If it’s truly talc, it’s way softer than the metallurgy in rings, cylinders, and pistons.

There's plenty of information and advice for pilots on the airport website. Since many pilots return year after year and gift rides to hundreds of burners, it can't be the instant death to airplanes that some speculate. The big issues seem to be gear collapses, prop strikes, and stupid pilot tricks.

Does anybody know if any airplanes got stuck in the rain mess?

Does anybody know if any airplanes got stuck in the rain mess?
Depends on what you mean by "stuck." When it started raining, the airport closed, so all the planes there were "stuck" there. When the airport reopened, there were a few heavier aircraft with smaller tires that dug in to soft areas and got "stuck" while taxiing. Except for one that had a prop strike, they were all towed to firmer ground and departed again. None of the light GA planes seemed to have any issues.

This just makes me want to form a competing Drowning Man festival in the next valley over. With gun nuts. And machine guns. And we try to play jazz and blues with machine guns. Winner gets a bazooka.

Back