Burning Man tickets

Maxmosbey

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
I need to get serious.
I got my Burning Man tickets today. I had to run over to the post office during my break and sign for them. The journey begins.

Any reason you put this in Spin Zone?

By the way enjoy the festival and we expect lots of photos and a good narrative.

Any reason you put this in Spin Zone?

By the way enjoy the festival and we expect lots of photos and a good narrative.

I thought that I was in Hanger Talk when I posted it, and I wasn't. I don't know how to get it over there now.

I guess you could ask the mods to move it. Probably easier to just start a new thread in HT, though.

Trapper John

I've thought of doing BM, but have been too daunted to try it. Are you planning to fly in or do the drive? (I can just see taking a rental plane onto the playa! :):no:)

I've thought of doing BM, but have been too daunted to try it. Are you planning to fly in or do the drive? (I can just see taking a rental plane onto the playa! :):no:)

I have watched several tv shows on the burning man event.. I admit it is intriguing, but.... In about every show the video shows high winds and dust storms blowing through. If that didn't rip my plane out of the tie downs the dust would end up in every inch of it.:eek::eek:.

In fact I would feel bad taking a rental plane into that mess.:yesnod:, now a 20' 10 year old U Haul box truck would fit right into that scene.:rofl:

Ben.

I have watched the Burning Man for years. By watched, I mean that I have read everything that I could find on it. I turn 60 this year, and I just got the itch to go. As far as flying in, that would be pretty expensive. I bought an old 1971 pull behind camper that my wife and I are fixing up. We have been decorating it with all kinds of funky stuff that we have been picking up here and there. The big thing is that it has a bathroom. We are going to haul that out there with the truck. When it is over, we have a week to get home, so we are just going to head in the general direction of home, and hopefully get there sooner or later. It is going to be great fun. My wife and I also play hand drums, specifically she plays a djembe, and I play an ashiko. We have joined a group that is going to play during the burning of the man on Saturday night. The funny thing about it is that our kids, neither one of whom has ever actually been there, have told us that we should not go. I guess they think that there is too much drugs and nudity. What is funny is that when they started in on us, our resolve to go got stronger. It is like we are rebelling against our kids. Anyway, right now the Burning Man is the only sure thing that we have going for us this summer. I'm really looking forward to it. In a couple weeks we are going to Mexico for our yearly vacation down there. A couple of years ago we learned to surf, so we are headed down to the Pacific coast North of Puerto Vallarta to surf for two weeks. I'm looking forward to that as well. That is another thing our kids think we are too old for. We always send them a card and sign it "Surf Daddy and Surf Mommy".

Last edited:
I have watched several tv shows on the burning man event.. I admit it is intriguing, but.... In about every show the video shows high winds and dust storms blowing through. If that didn't rip my plane out of the tie downs the dust would end up in every inch of it.:eek::eek:.

In fact I would feel bad taking a rental plane into that mess.:yesnod:, now a 20' 10 year old U Haul box truck would fit right into that scene.:rofl:

Ben.

As far as taking a plane in there, first of all I have heard that the dust there is very corrosive. The second thing is that you have to take all of your food and water in, not to mention some sort of shelter. That would be a lot to bring in with a Cessna.

The funny thing about it is that our kids, neither one of whom has ever actually been there, have told us that we should not go. I guess they think that there is too much drugs and nudity. What is funny is that when they started in on us, our resolve to go got stronger. It is like we are rebelling against our kids. Anyway, right now the Burning Man is the only sure thing that we have going for us this summer. I'm really looking forward to it. In a couple weeks we are going to Mexico for our yearly vacation down there. A couple of years ago we learned to surf, so we are headed down to the Pacific coast North of Puerto Vallarta to surf for two weeks. I'm looking forward to that as well. That is another thing our kids think we are too old for. We always send them a card and sign it "Surf Daddy and Surf Mommy".

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Good for you! PAYBACK!

I intend to rebel in my old age too.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Good for you! PAYBACK!

I intend to rebel in my old age too.

I don't know what kind of shape your parents are in...

But with my dad, my sister finally went over and took away his car keys. He then called me to complain and to get me to talk to her, but my answer was that if she hadn't taken them, I would have.

(I'm not suggesting that Mr. Mosbey has reached this state.)

Last edited:

But with my dad, my sister finally went over and took away his car keys. He then called me to complain and to get me to talk to her, but my answer was that if she hadn't taken them, I would have.

I hope they don't come over and try to take my keys. Considering one lives in New York, and the other in New Orleans, I should be able to fool them into thinking I am still capable of driving for a few more years. Anyway, my wife is ten years younger than I am, so she could fight them off while I hide the spares maybe.

Actually I think a BO forgot to put down it's landing gear while trying to land on the playa.

http://www.burningman.com/media/doc/whatisburningman/2002/brg_2002_thurs.pdf

Max...I am totally jealous. :yesnod:

Oh and congratulations on learning how to surf. My 4 year old cousin is already catching and riding waves out in Hawaii. :)

Actually I think a BO forgot to put down it's landing gear while trying to land on the playa.

http://www.burningman.com/media/doc/whatisburningman/2002/brg_2002_thurs.pdf

Max...I am totally jealous. :yesnod:

Oh and congratulations on learning how to surf. My 4 year old cousin is already catching and riding waves out in Hawaii. :)

When we tell people that we surf, they seem to think that surfing is something hard to do. It isn't any harder than skiing, and lots of people do that. We don't do anything fancy, we just ride the waves in. We do the bunny waves. No big deal really. I might try some fancy stuff this year.

In a couple weeks we are going to Mexico for our yearly vacation down there. A couple of years ago we learned to surf, so we are headed down to the Pacific coast North of Puerto Vallarta to surf for two weeks. I'm looking forward to that as well. That is another thing our kids think we are too old for. We always send them a card and sign it "Surf Daddy and Surf Mommy".

Enjoy, there are some good point breaks down that way. Good for you. Travel should only be undertaken by those with the time to truly appreciate it.

Less than two weeks to go. I am so looking forward to this trip. We have been to a local meeting of fellow burners and found out a lot. We have also decided to be a part of the "spirit" of Burning Man, which is to be a participant rather than a spectator. My wife has volunteered to work in the Media Center and I have volunteered to work a couple of shifts on the line at the Black Rock City Airport, which is the airport that is constructed specifically for the festival. http://www.airnav.com/airport/88NV That was a good idea, because as soon as we volunteered we started getting newsletters, info, and met a bunch of people that we will connect with out there. Of course, we are taking our drums so that we can play the night of the burn. Our 1972 Forester camper is all rebuilt and ready to go. It is very artsy if I say so myself. It even has a built in wine rack with stemware hanging beneath it. I've lost twenty-five pounds and been working out all summer. I also got a good tan going. I'm probably not going to be the most buff person on the playa, but I'll be pretty good for a 60 year old. I can hardly wait..

Last edited:
Less than two weeks to go. I am so looking forward to this trip. We have been to a local meeting of fellow burners and found out a lot. We have also decided to be a part of the "spirit" of Burning Man, which is to be a participant rather than a spectator. My wife has volunteered to work in the Media Center and I have volunteered to work a couple of shifts on the line at the Black Rock City Airport, which is the airport that is constructed specifically for the festival. http://www.airnav.com/airport/88NV That was a good idea, because as soon as we volunteered we started getting newsletters, info, and met a bunch of people that we will connect with out there. Of course, we are taking our drums so that we can play the night of the burn. Our 1972 Forester camper is all rebuilt and ready to go. It is very artsy if I say so myself. It even has a built in wine rack with stemware hanging beneath it. I've lost twenty-five pounds and been working out all summer. I also got a good tan going. I'm probably not going to be the most buff person on the playa, but I'll be pretty good for a 60 year old. I can hardly wait..
That's great! Looking forward to pictures! That's one of those things I'd like to do one year.

Ha! Try that with my 92 year old grandmother and she'll cut you. Of all the people I know she's the most eager and ready to jump in an airplane with me. When I power up she yells "LETS RIDE!!" She's an inspiration to everyone she blesses with her presence. Enjoy the festival!

Attachments

• DSC01727.JPG
    DSC01727.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 42
  • DSC01737.JPG
    DSC01737.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 39
I am in Fernley, NV right now in my old 1972 Forester camper that we rebuilt this spring and summer especially for this trip. It is very nice if I can say so myself. We headed out here Saturday morning. Fought winds gusting to 40mph, on Saturday and Sunday. I rebuilt the entire running gear. It pulled very smoothly, but it is like pulling a sail in the wind. That is OK, we got here. Made it to Cheyenne the first night, West Wendover, NV the second. We are stocking up on food and water here today, camping at the Desert Rose RV park. We have seventy-eight miles tomorrow, through Empire and Gerlach, then Black Rock City and Burning Man. We will be out there until next Sunday, or maybe Monday. It depends on what is going on Sunday. I have wanted to do this for a long time. I'll let you all know how it went next week, if I survive. If I don't, then I won't.:D

We have run into a bunch of other burners here at the park who are going in tomorrow as well. Lots of partying. Going into Fernley for supper.

OK, we are in Wendover, NV right now. The burn was good, but a little more tame than I was led to believe. We got in there Tuesday morning with no problems. Seventy eight miles of winding two lane road from Fernley, then a long way over a dry lake bed to reach Black Rock City. We found a great place to camp. My idea of a great place is a long way from the blaring 24/7 music, and close to the airport. We were on one of the outer circles close to 6:00 which lead straight to "center camp". There was lots of art randomly located on the lake bed, which they called the "playa'. Some of it was very good. A lot of it was like something a high school kid would put together. There were lots of things going on. Lots of vehicles and cars that are very unique. I can not explain them. They are called "mutant vehicles, and you need to see them to even realize what you are looking at. Several of them are huge, with ten or twenty occupants. One place was giving away beer if you would juggle. I can juggle. They closed up on Friday, and my wife accused me of drinking all of their beer. Lots of nudity, but there was not as much open drug use as I was lead to believe there would be.The weather was great, except there is constant wind and blowing dust. You just have to get used to it. Lots of music, lots of people dressed in strange costumes. Did I say lots of nudity?

I worked two three and a half hour shifts at the airport. The parking area was laid out in a grid. When a plane landed, they could just go out and park wherever they wanted, as long as they parked on a pink tuft, which designated a parking spot on the grid. My job was to chase them in a golf cart until the parked, greet them with a smile, check to make sure they had tickets, and document where they were parked on the grid. It was pretty easy. For my efforts I received a dog tag on a chain that identified me as an airport volunteer, and gave me unlimited access to the airport. The FAA was there.

We watched them burn the man on Saturday night and got out of there early Sunday. We went back to Fernley to regroup, and clean the camper out, then drove over here to Wendover today. All and all I had a good time. I probably will not do it again. I do recommend it to anyone who has an interest in going. If you are the kind of person who likes to tell other people how they should live, if you value your space and get annoyed if someone moves in too close to you, if you get stupid when you see someone naked, if you have any hangups at all, don't go. You will not like it. If you are pretty open and want an experience very different from anything you have ever experienced before, well, maybe it is for you.

Max

Thanks Max for the write up. I hope to go one time before I pass on as it sounds like a 'unique' situation. Probably very akin to the old 12 hours of Sebring race back in the late 70's and hanging out at the 'flagpole' all week......
Don't ask how I know.:wink2::wink2:

Would it have been safe and relatively clean for a plane to stay tied down on the playa for the event ? Winds ? vandalism ?
etc.

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

Max:

Thanks for the write-up. It sounds very much like the kind of event which in years past I would have disdained as being ... well, for all the reasons you cited ... and now, would probably enjoy ... for all the reasons you cited.

I knew a lot more when I was younger, now I am not so certain.

Again thanks. Post some pictures.

Photos please! That event does sound like a lot of fun!! :)

Sound cool Max. Is is something like Sturgis without the leathers? :D

I did a few charter flights into there with one of our caravans. Here are a few pics

Attachments

• DSC_4501.jpg
    DSC_4501.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • IMGP1952.JPG
    IMGP1952.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMGP1992.JPG
    IMGP1992.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • IMGP2008.JPG
    IMGP2008.JPG
    926.9 KB · Views: 43
Few more pics

Attachments

• IMGP1993.JPG
    IMGP1993.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMGP1997.JPG
    IMGP1997.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMGP2019.JPG
    IMGP2019.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
Oh, I'm sure the blowing sand on the Playa wouldn't hurt the plane at all! :no:
Good thing I fly rentals! :) :yes:

(Just kidding!)

The airport was on the SW side, all the dust was on the NE side. While at the airport, there actually was very little dust blowing. Its far enough from the main city that all the dust kicked up there wasn't getting to the airport

Thanks Max for the write up. I hope to go one time before I pass on as it sounds like a 'unique' situation. Probably very akin to the old 12 hours of Sebring race back in the late 70's and hanging out at the 'flagpole' all week......
Don't ask how I know.:wink2::wink2:

Would it have been safe and relatively clean for a plane to stay tied down on the playa for the event ? Winds ? vandalism ?
etc.

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com
Like Jeff said, it is dustier on the playa than it is at the airport. Winds are gusty. There is five thousand feet of runway to play with though. Most pilots tape everything with masking tape to keep the dust from getting in. I don't think vandalism is a problem. The airport is out away from the rest of the camp, and there is someone out there keeping an eye on everything all of the time. I would post a couple of pictures, but I guess that I don't know how. It asks for a URL, and considering my pictures are in a folder on my computer, well it isn't working for me.:dunno:

I did a few charter flights into there with one of our caravans. Here are a few pics
Jeff, just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to get a charter into there? Also, if they fly in, where do they get food, water, and shelter? Water especially seemed to be in short supply if you didn't bring it in yourself.

Max:

When posting your reply, click "Manage Attachments," and you'll see the picture upload box; besides the option to link to a URL, you can also simply click on the "Browse" button to upload pics from your very own 'puter.

It must be easy - even I can do it!

Attachments

• upload.jpg
    upload.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 8
Jeff, just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to get a charter into there? Also, if they fly in, where do they get food, water, and shelter? Water especially seemed to be in short supply if you didn't bring it in yourself.

It depends on where you come from. I picked up groups from Van Nuys, Oakland, and San Francisco. They all had people they were meeting that had driven in, so they had food and water there already.

Here is another pic of me coming in to drop off a group

Attachments

• IMG_1256_0116.jpg
    IMG_1256_0116.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 37
Back