Burning man or Black Butte 88NV

scottpolo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
scottpolo
My (new to me) 1967 Citabria was stripped to the tubes, bead blasted, epoxy coated and recovered 1998 and has lived in a hanger ever since. It has less than 200 hours on it since then inc engine & prop. My daughter wants me to pick her up at the last days of burning man in Black Butte NV. Temporary dirt strip, very dusty, Alkaline dust. I’d be there overnight. The dust permeates everything and causes corrosion. Should I pass or should I go? Seems like a blast but I really don’t want to damage my new beauty…

I have not owned a steel tube fabric airplane before. Any insight would be welcome:

:dunno:

My (new to me) 1967 Citabria was stripped to the tubes, bead blasted, epoxy coated and recovered 1998 and has lived in a hanger ever since. It has less than 200 hours on it since then inc engine & prop. My daughter wants me to pick her up at the last days of burning man in Black Butte NV. Temporary dirt strip, very dusty, Alkaline dust. I’d be there overnight. The dust permeates everything and causes corrosion. Should I pass or should I go? Seems like a blast but I really don’t want to damage my new beauty…

I have not owned a steel tube fabric airplane before. Any insight would be welcome:

:dunno:

It is a private airfield and you need permission to land. There is a bunch of stuff you'll need to do to be allowed to legally land. All the sordid details are here:

http://88nv.burningman.com/advisory/

Nevermind. I overlooked that you said you'd be landing in Black Butte.

http://88nv.burningman.com/advisory/

Last edited:
I'd be more concerned with my daughter going to burning man than my airplane.

Maybe i have the wrong impression of Burning Man but i would have a real problem with my daughter going there.

From the photos over the years it seems it would be "interesting."

Couldn't find a Black Butte near 88NV - maybe you meant Black Rock (88NV) after all.

I'd be more concerned with my daughter going to burning man than my airplane.

Maybe i have the wrong impression of Burning Man but i would have a real problem with my daughter going there.

From the photos over the years it seems it would be "interesting."

Agreed 100%....

if sand blasting my plane got my daughter out of there 5 minutes sooner, I'd do it

I was hoping to go this year. I had a ticket to the event and would have flown the Mooney in. But work commitments got in the way... maybe next year.

I wouldn't have a problem with either my daughter or son going. They can look after themselves.

If you're talking about going to Black Rock City I would say do it. You won't be able to get in to burning man through the terminal without having the proper ticket. They were real big on making sure people weren't just flying in and going to the festivities last year when I was there. I don't know where Black Butte is though.

Your new plane has 200 hours in 17 years. It's already somewhat damaged, I'd go.

You should wrap it in plastic, replace the air with nitrogen or argon, then encase it in a layer of closed-cell foam followed by concrete. Airplanes aren't meant to be flown and you should make sure that it will be found 1000 years from now in perfect, unflyable condition.

Burning man has become a mega-regulated, ruled, legislated, confiscated, azz-cramming waste of time. The airport is even worse, if that's possible. I tried to land there in 09, and glad I didn't. Have her get a ride out to some public use airport, and fuggedduboudit for Black Rock. It sucks, and blows at the same time.

My daughter wants me to pick her up at the last days of burning man in Black Butte NV. Temporary dirt strip, very dusty, Alkaline dust. I’d be there overnight. The dust permeates everything and causes corrosion. Should I pass or should I go? Seems like a blast but I really don’t want to damage my new beauty…

I live in Reno. My wife used to work for a rental car company that would see people take their cars to Burning Man (against the rental contract rules). I would never land my airplane there unless it was an emergency.

It's not. If you're into seeing silicon valley millionaires naked, it's a very productive event.

*That festival seems like an impeccable use of time and should be held everywhere, 24/7.

*That festival seems like an impeccable use of time and should be held everywhere, 24/7.

It was fun flying people direct from BRC to Oakland or OC and seeing the line guy's faces when the pax got off the plane. Beautiful women mostly naked and dirty from a week of partying. The guys were enamored.

Went there in 2005 one afternoon just to land on the playa. Didn't try to get inside just hung out for half an hour looking at the other planes then flew back home for some margaritas. The plane was a Maule and the dust had no effect on it.

You knew Burning Man was in trouble that year they sued a guy for setting the Man on fire. :rolleyes:

Burning man has become a mega-regulated, ruled, legislated, confiscated, azz-cramming waste of time. The airport is even worse, if that's possible. I tried to land there in 09, and glad I didn't. Have her get a ride out to some public use airport, and fuggedduboudit for Black Rock. It sucks, and blows at the same time.

Like hippie holler on Lake Travis.... The 70s on the lake was a great time for a young teenage boy.....

Burning man is fun....let loose people....if only for a few days...

Might not be your cup of tea...but is on par with best people watching out there we have on this Earth.

Should be a bucket list for everyone...and this is coming from a way ultra conservative person like myself.

I am one who said I will never go...that place is for hippie junkies....

I caved one year....friend was relentless...so I agreed. Believe it or not....I had a good time....a really fun time...sand in my crack(and everywhere else) good time.

Like hippie holler on Lake Travis.... The 70s on the lake was a great time for a young teenage boy.....

I understand Hippie Hollow is now more commonly known as "Queens' Point." Have not observed for myself... :D

Back