bunny hop landing? and gust landing

einepilotin

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
einepilotin
Hello pilots!
Firstly, as the title says I am curious about bunny hop landing.
I did ballooning sometimes, but rarely bunny hop. Curious what cause bunny hop landing?
How is it different from flat landing?

Secondly, could you please share some tips for gust landing? :)
I add half gust wind component to my final speed.
And tried a couple of things to keep the higher airspeed.
1. flap only extend to 20
or 2. on final, I fly level by adding power a bit snd then try to descend pretty steep to maintain higher airspeed than normal.

I don't know how other pilots handing the gust hazard.

Thank you for sharing your opinion in advance :) !!

Bunny hop is likely your nose gear hitting too soon causing it to pop back up and then causing porpoise effect. I'll give you bunny since so close to Easter

Gusty conditions, increase speed to half anything over 10. So if gusts 20 just add 5. Off crosswind, let that side hit first and gently bring level and then lower nose while pointing your thumbs into the wind as needed.

It becomes second nature the more you do it. I had these same questions and challenges. Just landed a couple days ago with 19 gusts to 25 almost direct crosswind and was as smooth as I can remember and my passenger had to remind me about the first time he flew with me in those same conditions and I looked like I wanted to jump out of the plane instead of land it.

And the faster speed is only in final. Once you're to the runway, slow down. Don't add throttle and DON'T force it down. If you're 6" to a foot off the runway and a gust hits from the rear, it just lands (perhaps a little firmly, but still OK).

In a nosewheel airplane, a bunny hop is typically caused by touching down too flat with too much speed.

In a nosewheel airplane, a bunny hop is typically caused by touching down too flat with too much speed.
And it breaks stuff. To be avoided.

There are techniques to prevent a second bounce, and your instructor can teach them, but it's probably best to go around.

Back