Bumps and Kids

swingwing

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Swingwing
Last Friday a front was pushing threw. Winds were 18 Gusting to 30. The forecast was for a beautiful weekend and it was has been a few months since we flew to our cabin. We were fighting a quartering headwind with chop and the usual 45 minute flight turned into almost an hour. Needless to say my two young daughters got motion sickness for the first time and were both throwing up:(. What would you recommend for motion sickness? Is Dramamine the way to go? Both girls have flown a lot, but I'm concerned that if they get sick on future flight, they will become scared and not want to fly anymore.:yikes:

Last edited:
The name escapes me, but there is a elastic bracelet thing that supposedly works well, and is non med...

Man, I need the answer to this one as well! I've tried the bracelet thing. It is obviously a placebo, but it does seem to work somewhat through the power of positive thinking. My biggest defense has been to fly when it is less bumpy. Early morning or at night. Looking forward to seeing what other suggestions there are.

Thanks for the replies. I might try the bracelets.... even if they are a placebo, my girls are still at the age where they may buy into a magical bracelet concept. I try to plan our flights with them early or late in the day but sometimes its just not practical. Last Friday the wind had not subsided and I was pushing to be on the ground before sunset.

I would recommend speaking to your pediatrician. Kid and medications are way different than adults and medications. This is, of course, if you are not going the bracelet route.

Have you ever briefed them on how to deal with the onset of it (gaze at a spot on the horizon, don't move your head too much, etc)? I usually do, but haven't seen if it helps... yet (knock wood).

Ginger is often recommended to soothe the tummy. Ginger candy drops (but not overly sweet!) or ginger ale is often useful.

Personally, I hate the bumps, and I've been flying for many years and still hate them. We're now into spring and winds out here in the Denver area. When I fly the kids (Young Eagles) I ask them first thing if they like roller coasters. If they do, then I mention we may be on the best roller coaster ride possible. If they don't like them (and I don't either), then I explain that just like driving to the airport and running over potholes in the car, there are "invisible potholes" in the air, and we may fly thru some of them.

Once the kids are made aware of the bumps in advance, they don't seem to be as affected. Would that help with your daughters?

Third option - I've noticed that backseaters are more likely to be green. Would putting one of them in the front seat help?

Yes good suggestion to put the queasiest up front, that is what I also do. I also find that a good question is "do you get sick on boats?" People who get sick on boats seem to be more susceptible to air sickness in small planes from my experience.

Never been motion sick but i've had lots of people puke on my boat and I can tell ya that Dramamine works.

Unless its going to be a really rough ride - half the recommended dose 30 minutes before departure usually does the trick and might make your passenger a little sleepy but won't knock em out like a full dose. Give em some red bull when you land and they'll perk back up :goofy:

Dramamine is quite effective - but will likely make them quite drowsy.

When I had a boat those that stayed with me looking at the horizon in a more erect way usually had no problem, those that went below... Yikes. In an airplane in many cases you can't see the horizon very good from the back, especially kids. Maybe have them sit on pillows or something so they can see over the glare shield.

The only time that I got sick in an airplane, was while riding in the back seat. To this day I still think I would have been fine, had Dad not bought me that candy bar.

And don't let th' Ol' Lady ride in the back seat (bench seat), if it's been armoralled.
You'll be fighting the rudder for a bit, untill you look back to find her with a big grin, sliding back and forth. :rolleyes:

Another vote for Dramamine. Scuba diving in Dominican Republic turned into a a very miserable experience for me. Next scuba trip was in Hawaii, where waters were even choppier. A single Dramamine kept me in a very good shape. Did not feel sick even for a second.

What were they doing? Sitting in the back head down in some electronic gadget or looking out the window at the wonderful scenery?

Back