Bumper stickers - a poll

Do you have any bumper stickers?

• Bumper stickers - heck yeah! Political, too.

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Bumper stickers - heck yeah! non political though, don't want eggs on my car.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Bumper stickers - heck, I got 'em on my fridge!

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Bumper stickers - quelle horreur!

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • No bumper stickers, but I have a window sticker

Votes: 35 60.3%

• Total voters

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Since you can never have enough polls, here is a new one. I drove to work behind someone with bumper stickers.

Since you can never have enough polls, here is a new one. I drove to work behind someone with bumper stickers.

Up late last night? :dunno:

EDIT: Must....learn....patience....

I have two window stickers on my truck. AOPA and NRA. No bumper stickers.

Last edited:
Only have my Mason sticker on the back glass. I can't see destroying a bumper with stickers as they pull off the paint when removing.

My favorite was someone with an Al Gore sticker, and the remains of an American flag sticker that must have been too difficult to peel completely off.

You need to add a selection, "No bumper stickers, No window stickers, I hate all stickers".

You need to add a selection, "No bumper stickers, No window stickers, I hate all stickers".

quelle horreur (How Awful) comes pretty close given that it's differentiated from the "...but I have a window sticker" by the lack of any mention of other stickers (that's what I chose).

Everytime I see a car with one or more bumper stickers I remember an old beater a friend had in college that was pretty much held together by an assortment of "bumper" stickers (they weren't limited to the bumpers though). As a result I generally assume that at least one of the stickers on any vehicle are covering up some sort of "rash" and I prefer to keep my cars rash free.

Amen brother. No stickers on my car. I even take off the dealer sticker once I take delivery.

quelle horreur (How Awful) comes pretty close given that it's differentiated from the "...but I have a window sticker" by the lack of any mention of other stickers (that's what I chose).

Same here

My favorite was someone with an Al Gore sticker, and the remains of an American flag sticker that must have been too difficult to peel completely off.

A couple of favorites from the past:

"The moral majority is neither"

Seen on the back of a 70's style sin bin van, "If it smells like fish, eat it"

During the re-election campaign, the black "W the president" stickers were popular, I've seen a spoof on it, "F the president" in the same font on black. hahaha.

http://www.stampandshout.com/shop/bumper-stickers/f-the-president.php

Last edited:
Amen brother. No stickers on my car. I even take off the dealer sticker once I take delivery.

I usually make the dealer put "dealer will install no decals/stickers" on the sales contract. And I have made at least one remove their advertising from my new car.

Not to be critical, because most of the polls here are written this way, but I'd rather see poll choices like simply "no stickers" instead of adding a second emotional component to it. I don't object to stickers, I've had the AOPA sticker on every car I've owned until my present one, so while my car has zero stickers, I can't choose the "quelle horreur" choice because they don't horrify me. Thus, the whole poll does not accurately reflect the responders, and that's why we should never pay attention to official polls.

I know, it's just for fun. Don't yell at me. :p

I have some on the glass -

On my Acura, I have a small "Harpoon Brewing" and a AOPA sticker
On our Subaru, we have a bunch: left side, "Save the Ales", "Harpoon Brewing"; right side, "Share the Road", "NEMBA" (New England Mountain Bike Assoc); rear window, Jessie's alumni org sticker.

Cheers,

-Andrew

For awhile I had one with my amateur radio call sign on it because I was too poor to get a license plate. Eventually I realized it looked stupid and pulled it off.

After some time I completely lost interest in amateur radio as most people involved were just not people I enjoyed socializing with to say the least.

After some time I completely lost interest in amateur radio as most people involved were just not people I enjoyed socializing with to say the least.

I hear ya and understand. There are clicks to be found even in ham radio. I think you wil be surprised at how many hams are also pilots though.

I was licensed in 10 BJE*
DE K9PO

BJE = Before the Jesse Era

I have two window stickers on my truck. AOPA and NRA. No bumper stickers.
Same here ... AOPA on the driver's side, NRA on the PAX side...

I did see a bumper sticker a few years ago that made me chuckle, in spite of coming from the opposite camp ... an attractive young lady stepped out of her Subaru (what else, it was Boulder) which was sporting the following sticker:

"The only Bush I trust is my own"

Bumper stickers, there is an issue from my childhood.

Dad hated the things, he also had a company car. So I have picked up his hatred of the things on my vehicle. But I do have an AOPA window sticker on the truck rear window and during the '04 election I taped a 'Veterans for Kerry' bumper sticker to the rear window. But I do not like stuff stuck to the bumpers.

I do like reading other people's stickers when I am stopped behind them. Some are really clever and funny.

I have AOPA and NAFI stickers. There's also a much-disliked Atlanta commercial vehicle permit that allows me to park for "free" at loading zones and all city parking meters.

And, there is the "W" sticker. If nothing else, it's there to counter those stickers others have which reflect lack of intelligence and/or lack of ability to provide constructive criticism. I'm sure you know the stickers to which I refer.

AOPA, NAFI, SSA and one of those GA Secure stickers in the windows. "I'd Rather be Soaring" Bumper sticker.

One of my favorite bumper stickers says:

Stop Plate Tectonics
Before It's Too Late

I had to drive around the block to make sure thats what it said. hilarious!

I have window stickers in my truck. AOPA, Zoo membership, Alumni Assn, NAFI, and ABS. I love bumper stickers. Some great humor there. And probably one of the better indicators of the mood of the country.

The only stickers I have are inspection stickers.

I usually make the dealer put "dealer will install no decals/stickers" on the sales contract. And I have made at least one remove their advertising from my new car.

Oh man I agree....I hate that stuff on the car. I made the dealer replace the lower portion of the bumper and valance when they "drilled" holes and mounted a license plate on the front of the car......yes, it got ugly. Delaware only has a rear tag.

just reading htis months AOPA Pilot. Rod Machado claims to have seen one that says "Flight Instructor, Carries no Cash"

my grandfather taught me a little trick (I haven't used it yet). I went with hm to buy a car, and he told the dealer, after all was said and done with the deal, "So, how much are you going to pay me for the advertising?" Dealer balks, grandfather points to the decals, Dealer says they come on the car or no deal, grandfather starts to walk away.

Dealer removes stickers. Grandfather said that he's had it happen in the past where they've actually taken money off the price for the advertising and left it there. He then says that the money was paid for a day's worth of advertising and he removes the decals after that.

I love that trick.

ONE bumper sticker says something about what the driver thinks ...

MORE than one bumper sticker just says something about the driver. ;)

AOPA and Mo Pilots Association's "Mervin the Mule" stickers in the window. That's all, and no bumper stickers, not even political. However, that plate tectonics sticker is a bit tempting.

Jim

ONE bumper sticker says something about what the driver thinks ...

MORE than one bumper sticker just says something about the driver. ;)
With you. I have noticed a strong correlation between the amount of stickers and the political persuasions of the owner.

I have window stickers only: AOPA, CA Pilot Assoc, and ramp access to 3 airports.

Rugby players eat their dead.
I played for 18yrs
referances the movie Alive
Joe

Lemme see, I've got a Reins Deli (for folks from CT) sticker, an ACK sticker from last summer, and about 8 little OSH stickers from champion. Then the AOPA, EAA, and MAPA window dressing. Since I keep cars until they are uneconomical to repair (which for cars made after 1990 can be a very long time if preventive maintenance is done), I don't worry about sticker damage - the car's next stop after me is the junkyard.

I had a couple of magnetic ones I put on my truck. Mechanics Start What They Finish and Aircraft Mechanics Are Plane Nuts.
Ron

I've noticed the cars with the several dozen stickers are mostly those which leave you to believe the driver is bleeding either green, red or both. We're not talking of someone who celebrates Christmas like most of us.

On the Benz I have a Masonic Decal (magnetic) on the rear.

Window Stickers: AOPA on the left rear passanger side
HYA Ramp Access sticker on the front windshield

And on the Saab I have in the rear hatchback window a Pinceton Univ. sticker and a Westminster Choir College sticker (older car from my college days)

and that's it for me.

my grandfather taught me a little trick (I haven't used it yet). I went with hm to buy a car, and he told the dealer, after all was said and done with the deal, "So, how much are you going to pay me for the advertising?" Dealer balks, grandfather points to the decals, Dealer says they come on the car or no deal, grandfather starts to walk away.

Dealer removes stickers. Grandfather said that he's had it happen in the past where they've actually taken money off the price for the advertising and left it there. He then says that the money was paid for a day's worth of advertising and he removes the decals after that.

I love that trick.

Last car I bought there was of course a charge of advertising on the contract when we went to finalize the purchase. I asked what this was for and they said to recoup their costs. BS is what I am thinking in my head. I told them that it was listed as a charge to me instead of a credit as I am the one driving around with their sticker on my car they owe me for advertising. They balked a bit until I got up and started walking out, I went straight to the salesman that I had been working with and told him I was disappointed we could not close the deal and why. He asked me to wait, I got the advert charge removed. So then I mentioned I was turned off by the whole deal and figured if they were trying something so underhanded at this point how would I trust them. I then got them to throw in a few key chains, hats, and stuff with 'BMW' on it to make me happy.

The key to any of this is to be willing, ready, and able to walk away.

The key to any of this is to be willing, ready, and able to walk away.

Yes, in January 97 I bought a new 96 Grand Cherokee, and my Dad had gotten one thru his company fleet price, so I went to the dealer to talk.

I got them down to the fleet price for the car, and they agreed to KBB trade price on my car, so I left a $200 deposit, and went back Saturday to close the deal.

On Saturday, I show up, sales dude takes my trade key, and throws it in a big pile of keys on the desk in the sales managers office. We start to close, and the total due was raised by $2000! I asked, and they replied that they made a mistake, and they couldn't do the deal at the price quoted earlier in the week.

I silently got up, and walked towards the managers office. Dude was trailing after me, "Hey, where you going, you can't go in there" Silence. Manager was talking with a customer in his office, still silent, I rummaged thru the pile of keys, found mine, and made a line towards the door. Sales dude is still trying to get me to talk.

Key into the door, door open, as I start to get into my old car, they guy finally says, "OK, you drive a hard bargain, we'll sell you the car at the original price."

I then talked. Had he not lowered the price, I'd be gone, never to be seen again, and he knew it. And, the $200 deposit was on credit card, and that charge would have been cancelled ASAP.

Window stickers: AOPA, EAA, NAUI, and my college parking sticker. Had a US flag, but it faded too much, and I haven't replaced it yet.

Key into the door, door open, as I start to get into my old car, they guy finally says, "OK, you drive a hard bargain, we'll sell you the car at the original price."

I then talked. Had he not lowered the price, I'd be gone, never to be seen again, and he knew it. And, the $200 deposit was on credit card, and that charge would have been canceled ASAP.
Quite often when you negotiate a car deal, the dealer will do so based on rates available from a finance source. When you consummate the deal, you'll usually find the dealer's finance manager will not sign the contract but you do. The problem with this is should the bank reject the deal at the last minute, you won't have financing with them and the dealer isn't a signor on the contract so they won't be affected

One such occasion happen to me. I told the finance manager I wanted a signature. He said the bank would sign it. I looked up at him and asked, "Wanna sell the car? Sign it." He did.

Back