BUMMMFITCHH, pre-landing checklist questions

The only thing not yet mentioned here is turning on the electric fuel pump, for airplanes that have one, it's often used only during takeoff and landing. Consider it part of the "G" in GUMPS.

Regarding carb heat, some airplanes are more prone than others to carb ice. In these planes, carb heat ON preemptively any time RPM is below the green is SOP. In other airplanes, you might consider temp/dewpt spread in that decision, for example carb heat ON if the spread is less than 10* C. Also, using full rich mixtures at low throttle (which is never necessary, even at sea level) promotes icing.

The only thing not yet mentioned here is turning on the electric fuel pump, for airplanes that have one, it's often used only during takeoff and landing. Consider it part of the "G" in GUMPS.
Right.

I used GUMP and include the fuel pump in "G". Others use GUMPS and use an S for Switches, including the fuel pump. Then there's GUMPSS which adds seatbelts, too.

Here is my RV-8 Normal Operations checklist. I try to keep it to killer items, plus a few items that could lead to mechanical issues. The before takeoff list is brief, as I want to do as much as possible before taxiing to reduce workload when the plane is moving, and use less time taking up space on the runup pad.

Fuel - gallons required/gallons on board. Can express it as time instead of gallons, too.
Oil - quarts.
Controls being checked is in there twice because while they might be free during preflight, I want to make sure that nothing has been moved in the cockpit and blocked the stick or anything.
Before takeoff - if there will be a delay after runup before entering the runway, then the first three items are done and the call is “complete to the line”. Below-the-line items are done when cleared for takeoff.
After takeoff - prop has a limitation of staying below 2600 RPM except for takeoff due to having an electronic ignition. I usually reduce RPM at 1,000 AGL here in the flatlands. If terrain was an issue I suppose it wouldn’t be a problem to run max RPM for another couple minutes.
Autopilot disconnected is in there a couple times, but the fact is that in owning the plane for over four years, I’ve had the autopilot on three times, for a total of maybe five minutes. I just stick with VFR and love to hand fly.
IMG_0952.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0952.jpeg
    IMG_0952.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hi everyone.
Here are a couple of more that may work for some. Add the items you have.

ACCGUMPPS (A-SISIGUMPPS)
A-cessories, AC, Radio..
C-arbheat
C-owl flaps
G-as
U-ndercarriage
M-ixture
P-rop
P-ump
S-afety- Belts, Doors..

5Gs (or more)
G-lide
G-rass
G-as....
G-ear
G-ripe 121.5, 7700. ELT..

Generic
Glide-Establish:?? KIAS, Flaps ?
Grass-Locate suitable terrain, land into wind
Gas-If no Restart- Mixture Off
Ignition: Off (Key Removed)
Fuel Shutoff Valve: CLOSED
Master switch--OFF
Safety belts: TIGHTEN
Doors:UNLATCHED
Gripe-Radio 121.5; Xpdr: 7700; ELT-ON
Gear?

Hi everyone.
Here are a couple of more that may work for some. Add the items you have.

ACCGUMPPS (A-SISIGUMPPS)
A-cessories, AC, Radio..
C-arbheat
C-owl flaps
G-as
U-ndercarriage
M-ixture
P-rop
P-ump
S-afety- Belts, Doors..

5Gs (or more)
G-lide
G-rass
G-as....
G-ear
G-ripe 121.5, 7700. ELT..

Generic
Glide-Establish:?? KIAS, Flaps ?
Grass-Locate suitable terrain, land into wind
Gas-If no Restart- Mixture Off
Ignition: Off (Key Removed)
Fuel Shutoff Valve: CLOSED
Master switch--OFF
Safety belts: TIGHTEN
Doors:UNLATCHED
Gripe-Radio 121.5; Xpdr: 7700; ELT-ON
Gear?
If the master switch is off, you can’t squawk and make radio calls, nor put the gear down except via emergency procedure - thus doubling the number of emergencies.

Hi.
Those are just some of the items, in some of the acft, to look at, there may be others, and the sequence also depends on the different acft.
Some acft have battery back ups where you can follow that sequence, but it's up to the individual to prioritize the elements
None of these, that I know of, will cover all items, in all makes, models.... it's just a starting point and you need to use your POH... as a final document.
If someone is not able to sequence the items properly and or add or remove some items from the list is best not to use them or better yet, don't fly.

I like my simple airplane.

G: if the gas wasn't on I wouldn't have gotten airborne.
U: presumably the undercarriage is still there, I can't see it from the cockpit.
M: ok, I have that.
P: yup, still turning.
S: if I can hear the radio the switch is on, and if my seatbelt wasn't buckled I would have fallen out when I was inverted.

Long reply ahead. If you don't want to read I just have two questions:

1. What point exactly in the pattern (or before the pattern) do y'all run through your pre-landing checklist?
2. Do you use a paper checklist, mnemonic, or both for pre-landing?

[edit: found this PoA thread where many answered these already]

@DCR im late in replying. (1) your 172 is not a glorified go-kart with wings. It'll kill you just as dead as a TBM.

(2). Good on you to ask questions and seek to keep learning.

(3). If you have a fuel injected engine, carb heat doesn't apply to your 172.

(4). If you have a carburetor you apply carb heat, ideally, before reducing power for your descent abeam the numbers. You want the hotter air from operating at higher rpm's to be directed into the carb to eliminate any existing carb ice and keep the temp in there above freezing to avoid carb ice.

(5) on very short final I was taught carb heat off in case of a go-around. You'll have full power available and not be fumbling with the carb heat controls. Just grab throttle and prop (mixture is already forward) and firewall those puppies.

My $0.02. Also - look at the detailed checklist in the POH. Use a checklist in the planes GUMPS is a great memory aid turning base, turning final, short final (simpler is usually easier to recall in my experience).

Good luck!

Thanks for taking my question seriously. For the record I was just trying to appease the peanuts gallery with my "go kart" comment, I have a healthy respect for crashing at 60+ knots in any sized vehicle. I like the idea of carb-heat off on short final; it also seems like a good cue to have "go-around" in the front of your mind. Downside is it requires yet another "step" in the landing checklist at an already very demanding time. At least for a low-time pilot like myself my brain capacity and hand-brain coordination is just about maxed out on short final.

What's the burning red fruit one that keeps getting mentioned?

I believe they are referring to ATOMATOFLAMES (VFR day equipment requirements). I have to agree with those saying knowing where to find the info is way more important than knowing an acronym for these non-urgent cases. For example - actually reading 14/91.205 reveals that "seat belts" isn't really the full story - a "shoulder harness" is also required in some or all of the seats depending on the date of manufacture.

I have also been lumping "carb heat" into the "G" of gumps. However, my gut tells me this is bad practice and I'm working on a better landing procedure. I heard some use "CGUMPS".

The point of memnomic checklists is short and quick. When the memnonic gets to be close to a page, use a printed checklist.

This brings up another good point - when I'm practicing touch and gos I often struggle to juggle my landing checklist on downwind while also trying to set my speed, trim aircraft, check my heading and position relative to runway, all before reaching the point abeam the numbers where I start to configure for landing. What point exactly in the pattern (or before the pattern) do y'all run through your pre-landing checklist?

[already said this above - but there is already a thread which posed these questions.]

While I'm asking - who uses paper checklist for pre-landing? The current Airman Certification Standards says "In some situations, reading the actual checklist may be impractical or unsafe" (Appendix 6), but doesn't say which situations that is exactly. As far as the regs go I don't think they are required for PPL ASEL; only aircraft for hire, air carriers, fractional ownership and large/multiengine turbine aircraft which require checklist (see 14/135.83, 14/91.503). Let me know if I'm missing a regulation which applies to PPL flying ASEL.

Last edited:
... While I'm asking - who uses paper checklist for pre-landing? ...
I have paper checklists for everything, copied from the POH and neatly organized in outline form in my kneeboard. Ink on paper has several advantages: you can read it in direct sunlight, no batteries that die and need recharging, no data connection needed, it never crashes or needs to be rebooted, if you sit on it or drop it, it doesn't break, etc.

I'm really guilty of not reading the checklist post takeoff.

My current main ride is fuel injected 172. So I check fuel on both, mixture rich and landing light on.

CFIs have been riding me about this so I'm trying to change the habit but to your point - a lot going on right there and my 172 is somewhat simple until something goes wrong.

I used to rent Warriors/Archers that had the take off and landing checklists printed right on the dash.

I believe they are referring to ATOMATOFLAMES (VFR day equipment requirements). I have to agree with those saying knowing where to find the info is way more important than knowing an acronym for these non-urgent cases. For example - actually reading 14/91.205 reveals that "seat belts" isn't really the full story - a "shoulder harness" is also required in some or all of the seats depending on the date of manufacture.

That should have been way more apparent and I feel dumb for missing it :oops:

Back