Bummage and excitement, same weekend!

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Well, as some of you know from my "Go, No Go Questions" thread, we didn't fly to Hilton Head, so that was the bummage. But, we had a good weekend Saturday, with us and another family taking the kids to see the Nina, as she has been docked in Chattanooga on her tour.

http://www.thenina.com/

Sunday, a pilot buddy and I left Chattanooga in the 182 for the short hop over to Decatur, AL, to hit Big Bob Gibson's for some fabulous pork BBQ. If you'all are ever in the area, stop in, grab a crew car, and take the short drive in to Bob's, great food.

The excitement was the flight over. I got about 0.8 of actual, and had a great time. In the brief periods in the sun, it was about 6C OAT, but deep into the clouds, it dropped to 2C. There was good moisture content, as we got water on the windshield and wing struts. We kept a good eye on the struts to make sure the droplets kept dancing. Luckily, we could have dropped to 4 or climbed to 8 and been free of the clouds. But, I elected to stay at 6000 and get some actual.

Then the landing. Let me say this, I'm a crappy crosswind lander. Not only that, but cross wind landings have always scared the whee out of me, and I've been know to sometimes avoid flying when I know I'll have to do a crosswind landing.

So we listen to the Decatur ASOS, and it is 29010G20. So, we pick 36 for the landing, and I ask the other pilot what he thinks. "Go for it, if you don't like what you see on short final, we'll go around." And he was right, we still had 4+20 in the tanks, so we could go find a more suitable runway if we needed to.

So I enter downwind, and I'm crabbing 25-30 degrees at 85kts to hold my seperation from the runway. Turning base, I pull back to 70kia, but the GPS shows us 95kts over the ground. I barely rolled out of the turn and then started the base turn.

Up until now, every xwind landing attempt has been a torture session. Do I push the rudder first, then turn the yoke, do the opposite? I was always thinking way to hard, and not flying well.

Something happened this time. I can't explain it, but I just did it. The nose was aligned with the runway, and we had a pretty big bank in to the left. I eyed up the windsock, and it was pretty much direct xwind, and was straight out stiff. Fought the gusts with the aileron, and somehow magically kept the nose aligned on the runway. Some of the gusts caused me to use nearly all of the right rudder.

We came in with 10 degrees flaps, and about 60kts. I got the left tire about 1ft above the runway, cancelled the drift, and pulled the power. Plop plop plop! Not a full stall landing, but I did make the airplane stop flying where I wanted to, and the landing wasn't hard at all. I didn't have to loose much airspeed before I had to have the aileron full into the wind to help steer the airplane.

And that was it! A landing I thought I never would be able to do, but I did it, and it wasn't even that bad of a landing. Pretty sweet. As you can see, I'm still excited. I love when hard fought for skills finally click.

And the meal at Big Bob's http://www.bigbobgibsonbbq.com/main.htm was all the tastier.

My buddy Brent flew home, he got some actual as well (not as much), and also had a real job working for his xwind landing back at home.

Great day!

Last edited:
That's pretty cool, Bill. There is just no way to explain what that feels like to somebody that doesn't fly.

Way to go!

Bill BTDT many a time! Don't it feel great to conqouer that deamon? I have deceided that this winter when we can depend on many days with X winds at KLOM that I will buy 5 hrs of instruction and just do X-Wind landings and do them and do them and do them. Its ususally not hard to get a plane or CFI on windy days b/c lots a folks don't want to go up.

That sounds great Bill. Getting into the soup is always a good work out. Also on X-winds landings those do take practice. I spent many a day beating the crap out of myslef just doign x-winds. It takes lots of practice to get the technique down. Just keep on trucking on 'em.

my heart is thumping reading that! go you!

I dread the first time I have to do stiff Xwinds solo.. Saturday was easy peasy - hardly any wind...

woodstock said:
my heart is thumping reading that! go you!

I dread the first time I have to do stiff Xwinds solo.. Saturday was easy peasy - hardly any wind...
You shouldn't dread it. What'll happen is that you find yourself in the air dreading it because you have to do it in order to put the plane on the ground. At some point you need to go out with a CFI and work on nothing but x-winds until they don't intimidate you. Repetition is the one way to overcome these things...

FlyNE said:
You shouldn't dread it. What'll happen is that you find yourself in the air dreading it because you have to do it in order to put the plane on the ground. At some point you need to go out with a CFI and work on nothing but x-winds until they don't intimidate you. Repetition is the one way to overcome these things...
Last time I did a xwind landing, it honestly surprised me a bit - I had set up on the final, just doing what it took to keep lined up, and I realized, oh, I'm side-sliping into a x-wind. It was all just sort of natural! :) (um, which is waaay damn different than me actually BEING a "natural", unfortunately!)

Ah, crosswind landings. One day this spring, the wind was a strong cross at my home 'port (residual from the boating course last night). I decided that since this was my one thing to avoid, I'd meet it head on. After 8 solid but not pretty crosswind landings, number 9 was nailed. I felt it was so natural.
So skip forward a few weeks to the day I landed at another airport with a 15-20 knot cross (and a 2,700' by 24'). This is an airport where they fly a turbo otter jump plane. As I lined up on final, I hear over the unicom "Check the wind". A quick look showed the sock and flags out straight. I put it perfectly on the runway like they write about. Over the unicom I hear "GREAT LANDING!". This from the turbo otter pilot.
YEAH! I was wired for hours after.
It's nice when it all comes together. The only way to beat the demon cross is to do it till you feel you've mastered it. Know the techniques, work them all, practice, practice, practice.

Bill Jennings said:
It WAS fun! I'm still pumped about the xwind landing...

It can be very addictive and is always dangerous. Stay on your toes!

silver-eagle said:
The only way to beat the demon cross is to do it till you feel you've mastered it. Know the techniques, work them all, practice, practice, practice.

AND don't be afraid to go around if you feel it coming undone. Ask Cap'n Jack about that one. We went up a couple of weeks ago with a pretty stiff crosswind. On my first pass I felt myself getting behind the airplane. I was past the threshold and fighting to get centered when I made the decision to go around. Second one came together much better. A little left of center...a little firm, but all involved were undamaged. :D

Way to Go Bill, I bet you will start to enjoy the challenge of xwind more now that you have settled some.

I Love x-wind landings, I struggled with them all through my training and I dreaded them as well. I am in no way a master of the xwind but my instructor doesnt keep his hands on the yoke anymore in xwind landings...so i must have gotten better.

KT

Back