Bullying

FWIW I would interpret the professor's comments the same way the student did: implicit ethnic bias and completely outrageous.

And I agree with you in general, in particular as applied to universities where professors - especially in the social sciences - are forced to, in effect, allow students to micromanage their syllabi and course curricula to avoid being guilty of or condoning "microaggressions". This doesn't sound like a microaggression - this prof was IMHO several miles over the line.
Did you even read the article?

Frankie was a football jock, big dude, always the best looking cheerleader for a girlfriend, loved to bully us nerds. Of course, Frankie didn't have a lot going on upstairs and didn't leave the hometown. After I graduated college, I pulled into the gas station (full service back then) where Frankie worked: "Hey, Frankie, fill it up, and don't forget to check tires!" The car was brand new, a treat to myself after graduating and landing my 1st job.

It was a good day.

BTW I once had a student plagiarize a few paragraphs that he found on the internet. The passage in question stood out from the rest of the paper because of writing style, much like in the case in the article. Naturally, I got suspicious and engaged in a little google-fu. Did I call him on it? Hell yes. But I had proof, I was able to confront him with the original source.

It doesn't sound as though this professor did his homework and just assumed that this minority student could never use words like that. Suspicion is no basis for challenging a student like that - unless you can back it up.

BTW I once had a student plagiarize a few paragraphs that he found on the internet. The passage in question stood out from the rest of the paper because of writing style, much like in the case in the article. Naturally, I got suspicious and engaged in a little google-fu. Did I call him on it? Hell yes. But I had proof, I was able to confront him with the original source.

It doesn't sound as though this professor did his homework and just assumed that this minority student could never use words like that. Suspicion is no basis for challenging a student like that - unless you can back it up.
You are assuming that the teacher assumed. Got ya.

Sounds like you know more about this story than was in the article. Care to enlighten us?

And BTW, I'm not assuming anything. Whether or not he had proof of plagiarism, circling this or that word as supposedly beyond his student's vocabulary is not the way to confront her with it, and all he did was open himself up to a charge of ethnic bias.

Now if the student falsified the whole thing, wrote the comments herself and accused the professor, that's another issue. But so far I've read nothing to indicate that's what happened.

I tell our boys that if it comes down to it and they have no other choice then just punch, chop, kick, slam them in the throat. Don't matter how big you are if you get socked in the throat, you are going to curl up into a ball long enough for my boys to get away from there.
This whole "everybody is a winner" and "participation trophies" BS has had drastic effects on our children. I get to see it everyday. What a shame. I really liked life better before twitter as well. What a whiny, victimized society we live in where everything offends everyone and everyone must tip toe around so as not to offend everyone else.

Here is a great non story from today that has me wanting to drink bleach.
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/professor-leaves-racist-note-students-152912088.html
Wow, just wow.

Not the article.

You.

I think instant communication with right this second news reporting is making what used to be local news national news. I have not bothered to look up the statistics but I would be surprised if there is a major change in suicide rates from when I was a teen - long long ago in a galaxy far far away.

I guess I was bullied in school by today's definition. Mostly I didn't notice nor did I care.
It only came to a head in my senior year at a new school. I was standing in a classroom sorta daydreaming. There was the usual swirl of kids and noise and this stocky guy came up and pushed me in the chest and accused me of listening to his girl friend and her friends talking. That is the first time anyone actually laid hands on me. I'm looking at him and wondering what he is talking about and he goes to push me again. Reflexively I hit him him with one punch splitting his face open and dropping him to the floor. Of course I was now the bad guy according to the school and he went into the victim routine. Lots of threats from the superintendent, yadda yadda.
It must have escaped the bully's notice that I was a farm boy and that I had spent the entire summer throwing 80 pound bales of hay around and such. I didn't know I could hit that hard - never hit anyone before that. I did notice after that the loudmouths seemed to stay away from me.
Interestingly, years later that guy shows up at the plant as a new shipping dock foreman reporting to me. He never mentioned it nor did I.

The world was a very different place when I was a kid back in the 50s and 60s. You could duke it out and no one cared.
I was a skinny, weird looking, nerd, and poor. The perfect target for bullies.
But no one ever picked on me more than once. Even if I lost the fight, and I often did, I would do so much damage to the bully they never tried again.
After a while word got around that I was fxxxing nuts and I was smart enough to cultivate that image. I started going after bullies that picked on kids other than myself. After that, everyone left me alone.
I taught my kids to fight back, and we are teaching my grand kids to fight back. No victims in my family.

I think instant communication with right this second news reporting is making what used to be local news national news. I have not bothered to look up the statistics but I would be surprised if there is a major change in suicide rates from when I was a teen - long long ago in a galaxy far far away.

I agree that some of it is due to that but I think it's due more to:

a) cable "news" 24/7 news cycle...they fill that space with a lot of crap that doesn't matter.

b) the fact that propagating fear drives ratings, is very profitable, and it keeps the minions in line. The media, the government, and (especially) the military industrial complex use fear to their great advantage.

Interestingly, years later that guy shows up at the plant as a new shipping dock foreman reporting to me. He never mentioned it nor did I.

That's what men are supposed to do. Water under the bridge.

That doesn't seem to be the case with a lot of these 'grown' children running around today.

That's what men are supposed to do. Water under the bridge.

That doesn't seem to be the case with a lot of these 'grown' children running around today.

Yeah, I'm reminded of some old John Wayne movie where he gets into a fist fight with someone. John Wayne wins (duh), and then they head into the bar for some whiskey (I think John paid) with arms overeachothers' shoulders. Granted it was a movie, but that attitude should be maintained.

I'm seeing a lot of victim blaming and a lot of "when we were younger we could handle our own problems." BS.

Kids are still kids and those overt issues are still easily solved. What's much more insidious now is the stuff we can't see. The stuff that happens online. Online bullying is WAY worse than getting beat up over lunch money. It's psychological torture that no one else sees. Add it the fact that we all know what anonymity and internet access can do to even a typically well-intentioned, well-adjusted person.

Much of social media is a cesspool where people exercise their base personality traits. When you add that impulse to an adolescent both bully and victim the results are deadly.

That's why we're having more issues now. Not because of "kids these days", "nanny state", "safe zone" dog whistle arguments.

I'm seeing a lot of victim blaming and a lot of "when we were younger we could handle our own problems." BS.

Kids are still kids and those overt issues are still easily solved. What's much more insidious now is the stuff we can't see. The stuff that happens online. Online bullying is WAY worse than getting beat up over lunch money. It's psychological torture that no one else sees. Add it the fact that we all know what anonymity and internet access can do to even a typically well-intentioned, well-adjusted person.

Much of social media is a cesspool where people exercise their base personality traits. When you add that impulse to an adolescent both bully and victim the results are deadly.

That's why we're having more issues now. Not because of "kids these days", "nanny state", "safe zone" dog whistle arguments.

Perhaps we should be teaching children how to ignore, block, and/or step away from the social media offender. It's pretty easy to control that sort of stuff, but if parents aren't actively involved with their child's online endeavors, then they're bound to be damaged by what they are exposed to.

Real men don't bully to begin with.
No, but kids in school do, it's part of growing up. In at least one case that I can personally recall, a bully got his ass unexpectedly handed to him by the supposed "victim" and all was right with the world after that. While not close friends, there was mutual respect and normal interaction after that. In another case the "bully" kept at it, with the occasional drubbing from the nerd. Said nerd was nearly twice the bully's size and would put up with a fair amount before clobbering said bully, but the pattern repeated itself several times before the bully moved on. Some people just don't learn.

Point is, school kids are school kids, and it really should not surprise anyone when they act like school kids and need to learn their social lessons.

Yeah, I'm reminded of some old John Wayne movie where he gets into a fist fight with someone. John Wayne wins (duh), and then they head into the bar for some whiskey (I think John paid) with arms overeachothers' shoulders. Granted it was a movie, but that attitude should be maintained.

The Quiet Man?

7UJ9PfpQSfUCBtV6cx0uv75L98W.jpg

Back