Built in oxygen

aviatomar

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
aviatormar
Hi!
Quick question; I have an older 210 that has built in oxygen and this is my first time using it... or instead attempting to use it. I just had the bottle re-certified and the system checks out. So my question seems somewhat stupid and simple, but here goes: (and yes I'll read the POH and talk to an instructor- but getting going in the right direction can really help)
1. There is just one lever; on and off.... it can't be that simple correct?
2. I assume I have to order something like this:
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...0QIHWyLAgoQ9aACKAB6BAgFECk&nis=2&dct=1&adurl=

And how does it connect to the airplane? I read that the oxygen system delivers a fixed o2 amount; can I reduce that or meter somehow?

If anyone can guide me through this that would be awesome!

I have little adapter bits that plug into my ports. These are made of metal.

I attach cannulas to them that I buy from Amazon for $10/5-pak.

I don't yet have additional flow-restrictors.

I have little adapter bits that plug into my ports. These are made of metal.

I attach cannulas to them that I buy from Amazon for $10/5-pak.

I don't yet have additional flow-restrictors.
That’s it? Nothing more to it?

My manifold adapters have a small brass needle valve at the port that allows me to calibrate the flow rate on a meter, one in each line. Similar to this:

13-18992a.jpg

Yeah, on/off as the "oxygen master" is about right. They're simple systems. The hardest part is figuring out how to refill it without getting phonged by the FBO. Prices are all over the place. Getting your own transfill rig may be the best move.

My manifold adapters have a small brass needle valve at the port that allows me to calibrate the flow rate on a meter, one in each line. Similar to this:

13-18992a.jpg

Yeah, on/off as the "oxygen master" is about right. They're simple systems. The hardest part is figuring out how to refill it without getting phonged by the FBO. Prices are all over the place. Getting your own transfill rig may be the best move.

sweet- this exact set up is what I’ll get. And at my local airport is 70 bucks to fill the tank…. Yuck

For completeness, the WHOLE system is........

• Bigazz tank in the back of the plane.
  • On-off valve on tank turns on-off oxygen flow.
  • Regulator after that regulates high pressure oxy to low-pressure oxy.
  • Oxy leaves regulator to plastic piping which goes to six ports in the ceiling of the plane.
  • Metal adapter plugs in to ceiling port, opening a schrader valve and flowing oxy from that port.
  • The cannula fits over the metal adapter.

The metal adapter - in MY case, is, as described by my supplier, a modification of a standard MIL connector, and they aren't produced any longer. He makes them for me by hand. Each one cost me about $80.

If I had a further restrictor/flow-device after the metal bit, I'd most certainly get more life out of a tank. Hasn't been my priority to buy these yet.

Search Amazon for 5-Pack Westmed #0194 Adult Cannula Comfort Soft Plus with 4' Kink Resistant Tubing.

The downside in my system is - the on/off valve is the tank valve itself, and if I don't have the tank turned on before we leave, anticipating oxygen use, it's not possible for me to turn it on.

Hi!
Quick question; I have an older 210 that has built in oxygen and this is my first time using it... or instead attempting to use it. I just had the bottle re-certified and the system checks out. So my question seems somewhat stupid and simple, but here goes: (and yes I'll read the POH and talk to an instructor- but getting going in the right direction can really help)
1. There is just one lever; on and off.... it can't be that simple correct?
2. I assume I have to order something like this:
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...0QIHWyLAgoQ9aACKAB6BAgFECk&nis=2&dct=1&adurl=

And how does it connect to the airplane? I read that the oxygen system delivers a fixed o2 amount; can I reduce that or meter somehow?

If anyone can guide me through this that would be awesome!

If you plan on using it routinely, call Mountain High and get their on-demand oxygen system with a few cannulae. Since you tank is fixed, it has to be filled in the plane, which may or may not be easy depending on where you are based. Each fill will run 50-125$, so a conserving system is very helpful. Have used their systems for many years and they make the bottle last a long time.

If you plan on using it routinely, call Mountain High and get their on-demand oxygen system with a few cannulae. Since you tank is fixed, it has to be filled in the plane, which may or may not be easy depending on where you are based. Each fill will run 50-125$, so a conserving system is very helpful. Have used their systems for many years and they make the bottle last a long time.

YES. If you are going to use the system, the Mountain High O2D2 system will cut your oxygen consumption in half or to one third without the system.

My airplane is a turbo, so I am in the teens for most XC flights and on O2. I actually use it over 8,000, as I just feel better.

The O2D2 supplies a measured plug of oxygen each time you inhale. So you are not flowing oxygen when you are not inhaling. Plus the oxygen comes as you start to inhale, so that pulse goes deep into your lungs.

If you are not going to use oxygen often, at least get flow meters to adjust the flow to conserve oxygen. These fit in the line and have a meter and valve to adjust the flow rate.

https://www.mhoxygen.com/product/flowmeters-mh-3-and-mh-4/

I've found their Boom Cannula very useful as well.

YES.
The O2D2 supplies a measured plug of oxygen each time you inhale. So you are not flowing oxygen when you are not inhaling. Plus the oxygen comes as you start to inhale, so that pulse goes deep into your lungs.

In addition to all that, it meters the flow as a function of altitude. Furthermore, it has a +5k setting, whereby it will provide the oxygen it would think you need at a barometric altitude of 15,000' at 10,000' (for example). Use it in conjunction with an SO2 meter of course.

In addition to all that, it meters the flow as a function of altitude. Furthermore, it has a +5k setting, whereby it will provide the oxygen it would think you need at a barometric altitude of 15,000' at 10,000' (for example). Use it in conjunction with an SO2 meter of course.

HUH??? The D5 setting starts the oxygen at 5K feet and the D10 setting doesn't start O2 until 10K feet. If you want or need more, you use the F settings, that are higher flow for mask usage in the Flight Levels.

"Available options encompass three main modes of operation:
N Mode: Standard Flow Immediate onset
D Modes: Standard Flow "Delayed" onset (altitude threshold)
F Modes: Enriched Flow Immediate onset"

https://www.mhoxygen.com/2016/wp-content/uploads/5MD20-0003-00-rev-1-EDS-2G-User-Manual.pdf

I have also used the MH system for 15 years in gliders, an RV-8 and now in a Turbo Lance. Highly recommended, although it will add a fair amount of cost to the simple and rudimentary built-in system. I don’t know how long it will take for the oxygen savings to pay for itself, but I imagine it’d be a while.

Best,
Joe

I like it for convenience. I bought the airplane with about 1400 psi in August. It was filled in Dec during annual from about 800 psi. It is going strong now.

And I have heard of $200 or more for a fill from some FBOs.

Another advantage of the metered delivery system dramatically reducing O2 usage is whether you can find an FBO able to recharge your tank. I discovered after buying my airplane (factory system with constant flow) that oxygen service was no longer offered by anyone within 50 miles. Even those advertising the service admitted they no longer had the trained staff or equipment to service. One said it was too much liability for too little money. I did find one FBO on a cross-country that was willing to call a mobile provider for $275 but it would be the next day. I convinced my FBO to rent the cylinders and buy the hardware. My thought: most larger FBOs cater to pressurized aircraft which have no need for the recharge service and smaller FBOs don't see enough need to invest in the training and equipment.

There are published articles on refilling your own O2 tank. It's not difficult and not terribly expensive. It was interesting to me to learn about the grades of oxygen and that industrial grade now meets the standards for aircraft grade. And you don't need medical grade. I'm just too lazy to bother!

It was interesting to me to learn about the grades of oxygen and that industrial grade now meets the standards for aircraft grade. And you don't need medical grade. I'm just too lazy to bother!

You need to read more. :D

There are no longer really any grades. All O2 comes from liquid and is pure O2.

The oxygen conservers aren't cheap, but well worth it. No necessarily for the cost savings on O2 but also for the reduced refill frequency unless you have your own refilling setup or have a convenient option on the field. I've found the cost of O2 varies greatly...have paid anywhere from $50-150 for a fill up and it's not available at many smaller fields.

You need to read more.

I agree with that statement. You just can't read enough.

From what I do remember from my reading, the O2 may be the same, but the grades have different certifications for the equipment, hygienic procedures, and moisture content. Aviation grade must have less moisture than medical because of lower temperatures? Perhaps someone who knows what they're talking about can chime in.

Or tell your AME that you identify as a welding torch at your next medical renewal, and all boxes ticked. :)

Or tell your AME that you identify as a welding torch at your next medical renewal, and all boxes ticked. :)
Funny. I get my 02 from the NextAir welding supply shop. Drop off an empty bottle, swap out for a full bottle. $20 I think.

Back