Building Your Own House

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
I need a project and we need a new house. The house we live in is 130 years old and we would like to get away from wood heat. Yes, we have an air heat pump, but.... swinging a chain saw and a log splitter is fun but a guy can only take so much.

Anyone take on being their own general contractor? I can do some of the work but will hire most of it done.

Any web sites / forums without Spin Zones? ;) Any experience with Www.Ubuildit.com Recommendations?

I built a house 25 years ago and swore I would never do it again because there was so much competition for subs. Today, subs are screaming for work. Should be a lot easier.

Last edited:
Different states and muni's have alot of varying set of laws, codes,etc that pertain to being your own general contractor.... Here in Wyoming the only "official" document needed is the certificate of placement by a licensed surveyor. Once the building site is blessed we can build away as long as current codes are met. On my house I did it all, from digging the foundation, to pouring the footers, to all the framing, all the electrical, all the plumbing, roofing,, the works... All it takes is time and perseverence.:yesnod:

Surrounding houses are costing 200 - 400 a sq ft to build... I did mine back in 2000 for 32 a sq foot....

I live in the country but I built my house in 2001. I hired a contractor but he made me mad at the framing stage. I fired him. Interviewed subs and had at least 3 apps for every job. Was kind of slow back then also. I paid the contractor what he had coming and did a bunch of upgrades plus had a sub fix his subs messups. (main reason I fired him) I probably put another 30000 in upgrades in house and still came out 7% under what it was supposed to cost. Would never hire a general contractor again. Was so much easier to schedule the subs and have handle on what was going on. Ended up with much nicer house. If you want to visit about it just let me know. I live in your area.

I have never met anyone who survived building their own house who would do it again.

Geico,
Have built more houses than I care to remember. Let me know if I can be of any help.

All were pre-digital photography. Pics here are of last spec at Lake Tahoe 15 years ago.

Attachments

• Tahoe2.jpg
    Tahoe2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • Tahoe3.jpg
    Tahoe3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • Tahoe4.jpg
    Tahoe4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Seems like you have to be an anal retentive control freak to ensure things happen anything like they are supposed to. Even with a contractor!

I live in the country but I built my house in 2001. I hired a contractor but he made me mad at the framing stage. I fired him. Interviewed subs and had at least 3 apps for every job. Was kind of slow back then also. I paid the contractor what he had coming and did a bunch of upgrades plus had a sub fix his subs messups. (main reason I fired him) I probably put another 30000 in upgrades in house and still came out 7% under what it was supposed to cost. Would never hire a general contractor again. Was so much easier to schedule the subs and have handle on what was going on. Ended up with much nicer house. If you want to visit about it just let me know. I live in your area.

The general contractor I hired to put a two floor 20x32 addition (and full basement) on my house is someone I'd hired again. Really good general contractors are out there. The trick is finding them.

Played GC plus other stuff on 4.400 SF eight years ago, survived an earthquake and Hurricane within a week's time this year with no drywall cracks, that made me feel good!

Get good recommendations on framers, electricians, and plumbing/HVAC, and don't be afraid to pay a premium for the right one, you will make up the difference in fit, finish, and function later. Make a Gantt chart or some other schedule to stay ahead of the build, idle time costs money and headaches. I had a single inspector for every trade and permit, I consulted with him early on everything to reduce surprises, and eventually earned his trust as a DIY guy who wanted to do things right, and that paid huge dividends.

Everything else for me seemed to be like building an RV, without the one dedicated forum for answers. I would just hit Google with the appropriate question or skill I needed help on, and eventually found specific forums with good advise ("How to build a shower stall": John Bridge Tile Forum). Best quote for painting was $22k, decided with the right tools and a little OJT in the garage before moving to the interior, I could do a good job myself, and pocket some money (who doesn't love new tools? :)). There were certainly problems ('Uh, mister, none of the windows fit the rough ins') but there always will be, solve them, learn, and move on.

In the end, comparing the appraisal to the outlay, I discovered I had put in some decent six-figure construction management and sweat equity to the project. But that was not a huge surprise, because I had a realistic budget to begin with, and I updated it along the way.

So I would do it again (guess I need to go meet Jay sometime), but there are also horror stories out there, you know best what your tolerance for managing a build will be. Especially having gone through it once before (the basics are the same, some specifics have changed, technology wise).

Last edited:
If you've never done this before... how much money are you willing to spend/waste as part of your education?

www.thathomesite.com.

I built the first half of my house (hangar, 1 bedroom apartment, garage, wine cellar, entryway) with a GC. It's up in the air as to how I'm going to handle the second phase.

You could do what we did. Buy used, move it 30 miles and spend the next 10 years fixing her up.

ourhouse.jpg

Seems like you have to be an anal retentive control freak to ensure things happen anything like they are supposed to. Even with a contractor!

Throw "demanding prick" on top of that and this should be a breeze for me! :rofl:

Last edited:

Geico,
Have built more houses than I care to remember. Let me know if I can be of any help.

All were pre-digital photography. Pics here are of last spec at Lake Tahoe 15 years ago.

Played GC plus other stuff on 4.400 SF eight years ago, survived an earthquake and Hurricane within a week's time this year with no drywall cracks, that made me feel good!

Get good recommendations on framers, electricians, and plumbing/HVAC, and don't be afraid to pay a premium for the right one, you will make up the difference in fit, finish, and function later. Make a Gantt chart or some other schedule to stay ahead of the build, idle time costs money and headaches. I had a single inspector for every trade and permit, I consulted with him early on everything to reduce surprises, and eventually earned his trust as a DIY guy who wanted to do things right, and that paid huge dividends.

Everything else for me seemed to be like building an RV, without the one dedicated forum for answers. I would just hit Google with the appropriate question or skill I needed help on, and eventually found specific forums with good advise ("How to build a shower stall": John Bridge Tile Forum). Best quote for painting was $22k, decided with the right tools and a little OJT in the garage before moving to the interior, I could do a good job myself, and pocket some money (who doesn't love new tools? :)). There were certainly problems ('Uh, mister, none of the windows fit the rough ins') but there always will be, solve them, learn, and move on.

In the end, comparing the appraisal to the outlay, I discovered I had put in some decent six-figure construction management and sweat equity to the project. But that was not a huge surprise, because I had a realistic budget to begin with, and I updated it along the way.

So I would do it again (guess I need to go meet Jay sometime), but there are also horror stories out there, you know best what your tolerance for managing a build will be. Especially having gone through it once before (the basics are the same, some specifics have changed, technology wise).

Seriously, THANK YOU GUYS!

I am all in. I am going to do this! Lets the games begin!

Okay, where do I start? :dunno: :rofl:

I am going to take everyones advice and begin data collection. Sub contractors used on the houses we liked; Foundations, framing, plumbing, HVAC, painters, masons, landscaping, ect.

Thanks!

Nope. Planning is the key. Plan to roll with the changes. Think of it as mobilizing a disparate unit for a months long romp in the bush against an unseen enemy that can come in any form at any time.

Overly adhering to a plan is like gripping sand: the tighter you grip, the more chance of losing control.

I've seen two couples get divorced over building their dream home. Then there are the countless numbers of couples who almost didn't make it.

I've seen two couples get divorced over building their dream home. Then there are the countless numbers of couples who almost didn't make it.

Unfortunately this is very true. Same for major remodels. Takes a real strong combined desire to achieve the same ends. Let her have all the decisions on the house so you can have your garage/workshop or BBQ patio or TV room, that's all you really need anyway......

If you've never done this before... how much money are you willing to spend/waste as part of your education?

This will be the second house I have built. There is always some scrap. But when you can save $50,000 I'm in.

www.thathomesite.com.

I built the first half of my house (hangar, 1 bedroom apartment, garage, wine cellar, entryway) with a GC. It's up in the air as to how I'm going to handle the second phase.

I'm a bit of a troll on this one- but I love where your priorities are!!

OP- good luck on the build, keep us up to date on the progress/pain/success etc. I'll be in the market for a place in a year or two..... So this option is something I'm interested in.

I've never built an entire house, but I've practically done every part of it. Its fun....once...

I need a project and we need a new house. The house we live in is 130 years old and we would like to get away from wood heat. Yes, we have an air heat pump, but.... swinging a chain saw and a log splitter is fun but a guy can only take so much.

Anyone take on being their own general contractor? I can do some of the work but will hire most of it done.

Any web sites / forums without Spin Zones? ;) Any experience with Www.Ubuildit.com Recommendations?

I built a house 25 years ago and swore I would never do it again because there was so much competition for subs. Today, subs are screaming for work. Should be a lot easier.

We did it.....

www.jhausch.blogspot.com. Use the archive links on the left to start at the beginning.

Sort of out in the country. Designed and GC'd it, but had a great builder (two man operation) to work with.

We:
Did all the permitting
Hired the excavator
Hired the concrete guys for foundation and flatwork (use ThermoMass system, sort of like inside-out ICFs)
Helped with raising the exterior (SIP) walls
Built the interior walls
Built the stairs
Wired the house
Painting
All flooring (tile, hardwood, pergo) but carpet (hired that out)
Countertops
Hired the plumber
Hired HVAC guy
Built the decks
Stone work
Metal roof

He:
Did most of the exterior rough framing
Trim and doors
Installed the cabinets
Siding, sofit, fascia
Shingled the roof

I think that covers most of it...
Ask me anything you'd like. I'll answer what I can.

Before I met all of my online aviation friends I hung out on the forums over at Taunton's Fine Homebuilding website....

-Jim

Last edited:
I would just install a forced air furnace and the ductwork. Load cheaper than building a whole new house. And that 130 year-old house will still be here after the new one has rotted into ground.

I would just install a forced air furnace and the ductwork. Load cheaper than building a whole new house. And that 130 year-old house will still be here after the new one has rotted into ground.

Certainly that would be the case with modern stick-frame construction. If I were to build my own house, I would go with either poured concrete or fully grouted CMU walls, and some sort of non-rot roofing system, if not a concrete roof. I like wood as an interior finishing material. Hate it as a structural material.

I have never met anyone who survived building their own house who would do it again.

I built my house about 12 years ago. Huge amount of work and frustration. I might tackle it again, but I think I'd get more professional help the second time around. Big problems with contractors not showing up and trying to do substandard work.

Certainly that would be the case with modern stick-frame construction. If I were to build my own house, I would go with either poured concrete or fully grouted CMU walls, and some sort of non-rot roofing system, if not a concrete roof. I like wood as an interior finishing material. Hate it as a structural material.

Easily done in an old house, the technologies are there and aren't that pricey. A greater expense would come in replacing all the windows with modern energy-efficient versions. On the other hand, if you build a house you have to purchase all new windows anyway.

When you redo a old house about the only thing you don't have to replace is the frame. Thats the cheapest thing about a house. If your really into old house's thats fine. I've done two old houses and can't for the life of me, understand why I didn't figure out on the first one to just burn the second one down! My experience is that it's better to just sell the old house as is. Take the money and build a new house and shop or whatever in another spot. With the money from the old one you won't have a lot in new one. If you fix up the old house you have lost the equity in old house and built a new house anyway. My experience anyway.

When you redo a old house about the only thing you don't have to replace is the frame. Thats the cheapest thing about a house. If your really into old house's thats fine. I've done two old houses and can't for the life of me, understand why I didn't figure out on the first one to just burn the second one down! My experience is that it's better to just sell the old house as is. Take the money and build a new house and shop or whatever in another spot. With the money from the old one you won't have a lot in new one. If you fix up the old house you have lost the equity in old house and built a new house anyway. My experience anyway.

You replaced lathe and plaster walls? You replaced stone or tin roofs? Stone foundations? Hardwood floors and trim? No doubt you built your new house with 12 foot ceilings and giant, square rooms as well.

I actually did replace all interior and exterior walls and roofs. I redid basement on one and moved the other onto a new basement. Both were like owning a airplane. You just open your wallet and dump. My new house actually does have 10 ft ceilings and huge rooms. Much cheaper to live in also. I also have a house in florida and last year redid that one. Before I knew it 70,000 bucks were gone. Needed this and little that and of course oughta do that too.

In our house we redid the roof, siding, plumbing, electric was already done, took down some plaster and lathe because they had hammered some paneling up, redid the kitchen, bathroom and basement.

3000 square foot house....had $75,000 in it just getting it moved and sat on new basement and I know we have at least another $100,000 in it. But hey wife likes it so I'm happy.

You replaced lathe and plaster walls? You replaced stone or tin roofs? Stone foundations? Hardwood floors and trim? No doubt you built your new house with 12 foot ceilings and giant, square rooms as well.

OMG , you have been in my house! :confused:
:rofl:

We love our old house, but we also love change. It is time to change life styles for us and enjoy the time we are NOT splitting wood, repairing a 75 your old electrical system, etc.

Last edited:
Okay.

Building a house is like taking off. Once the wheels are up you are committed. :hairraise:

Wheels are up!

We spent the weekend talking to builders, subs, new homeowners, going through the Fall Parade of homes, working on floor plans, ect. We made a list of dozens of subs in our area that are working for "premier" builders. Plus we watched the Huskers in the greatest come-from-behind- win in school history! :happydance:

We also narrowed down the floor plan to ranch or 1/2 story.

We have the land and we are reworking an old dam so we will have a nice size pond. Site selection is pretty much decided as we want the west side of the north / south pond.

Let the journey begin!

Last edited:
I went back over ugly paneling with drywall. Took all of a day.

Ah yes but that would of screwed up the woodwork. The thickness of the wall would of been off.

FWIW If I wasn't married I would of fixed it that way too.

You replaced lathe and plaster walls? You replaced stone or tin roofs? Stone foundations? Hardwood floors and trim? .

Replaced most of the lathe and plaster ceilings. The walls were repairable (for the most part).
Replaced the roof that still had the original 1929 asphalt shingles under a few more recent layers (near as I can tell)
Block foundation is, well, I try to not look at it or think about it. It still holds the house up. For now
Hardwood floors - refinished or, in the addition, installed.
Trim? Some was missing, some wasn't worth salvaging. Custom made new stuff to match the original pattern - put it in the addition also.
At least the new addition is reasonably square and doesn't move as much with the seasons.
Removed the ugly aluminum siding and the original siding that was under it. Replaced with vinyl siding and cedar shingles.
Had insulation blown in when the siding was off.
Removed and rebuild all of the original windows (new frames from scratch).
Replaced an awful lot of wiring. If you touch the original stuff the insulation just crumbles off. The house is on at least the third breaker/fuse box. In three different locations.
The original iron water lines were replaced before I bought the house.
Tore down / rebuilt the top several feet of the chimney - tuck pointed some of the rest and hired out the rest of the tuck pointing
Garage comes down this winter.

I think a new house would have been easier.

Back