Building x-c time

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
I'm currently in the process of building x-c time towards the instrument rating. With my last flight, I'm a little over half way to the 50 hrs. As I fly these x-c trips, I realize the wisdom in requiring the extra time. Getting in and out of new airports and using atc and flight following are necessary skills and I'm learning a lot about all of it.

Since I got my ticket, I've had the opportunity to fly with the president of our flight club quite a bit. He is an experienced pilot (recently became a CFI) and has helped me immensely in all facets of my education (learning the 530W, charging the battery after leaving the master on, and so on). It's been a huge help having someone to turn to with questions. That's one of the things that has surprised me so far. I've not run into the attitudes that I have in other ventures. Pilots love to talk flying and are more than willing to share or help when asked. It's made it very enjoyable to be a part of the GA family.

My most recent flight was a short trip from KLBE-N35-KFIG-KLBE. As part of my x-c time, I've been trying to go to airports I haven't seen yet. These two were both new to me.

N35 (Punxsutawney) is a quiet little airport with a 3000 x 50 paved strip and a 2000 x 100 grass strip (See attached pic). I opted for the paved strip as my short field landings are a bit rusty. I will admit that seeing a 50' wide strip threw my perspective off a little. I think I've only landed on one other runway smaller. The landing was ok if a bit long. We taxied back to look around, but there was nobody or nothing moving. So off we went to Clearfield.

This area of PA is beautiful from the air although it is a bit intimidating looking at the solid canopy of trees north of I-80 (left side of photo below). I kept thinking about where I would put it down if I had to. I'm definitely going to have to expand my trips this direction though, especially when the fall colors arrive. Seeing a solid canopy of all the colors must be amazing.

Clearfield was a nice size airport for the area. It has a nice 4500 x 75 paved runway (see photo) with a nice little building for a quick pit stop. Again, the view from the air is amazing. We only stayed for a minute because everything closed at 5pm. It seems that is common for a lot of the smaller airports, especially when there is no flight school to keep people on the property.

We climbed out and headed for 4500 msl. We wanted to try out the AP on the way back. It had been acting up for a couple other club members. We set the AP to track the 530W home and it flew straight as an arrow. I think I hand flew the first and last 10 minutes. The 30 minutes in between were looking and learning time. We did a little 530 work and I got a few tips on the plane's com system. The clouds had climbed from 4300 bk to 6000 sct on the way up so as you can tell from the attached photo, it was a beautiful day to fly. Smooth air and great visibility.

I am having a blast seeing these new airports and meeting the people I happen to run into. I'm in a great area of the country for flying. I'm lucky enough to have a nice variety of airports to learn from, all the way from little strips like Punxy to Class B Pittsburgh. This part of my flying experience is why I got my license in the first place.

I'm hoping to start my instrument training in the late fall. I wanted to save the required funds before I start. I know from experience in my PP training, that long breaks aren't good. Once I start, I want to be able to go the whole way through.

Have fun out there and be safe!

Attachments

• N35-Punxy2.JPG
    N35-Punxy2.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 80
  • TreeCanopy2.JPG
    TreeCanopy2.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 75
  • KFIG-rw30.JPG
    KFIG-rw30.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 79
Nice pictures. You should fly up north a bit and check out some of the northern PA airports.

Good luck on your quest have done several airports in PA with great times good luck again

It's a blast doing that sort of thing. I've been having fun at that as well. I've completed my 50 hours, but am still collecting the dough for a complete IR.....

It's a lot of fun to locate an obscure airport you've never been to before, especially when it's tucked away in a pretty mountain valley. The POA NorCal fly-in to Booneville (D83) was a nice example, even if only three planes showed up.

The number one thing to remember when building cross country time is avoid flying in states with mountainous terrain. Controlled flight into terrain is causing too many fatalities in GA.

The number one thing to remember when building cross country time is avoid flying in states with mountainous terrain. Controlled flight into terrain is causing too many fatalities in GA.

Neat thing about airplanes, they can go over the terrain.

Well heck. I wouldn't be able to fly at all then.

Neither would I.

Will, you forgot the ":)" At least I hope you did. CFIT is a risk in less than perfect weather, but it's not the most common cause of fatalities.

I'm going to assume this is humor

Crap. I better stop flying then.

What?

I love going on XC's and they make up most of my flying nowadays. I have over the 50xc hours now after my PPL so I really can't justify the trips anymore, but that's not going to stop me! I try and go to a new airport each trip but I also have some old favorites.

Last trip I went on I went back to the airport I did my long XC to during training. I remember feeling so nervous on that trip during my training days. Now, some 2 years later I could actually enjoy the trip! Nothing like sitting back and enjoying the views from during the cruise- it just never gets old.

To the OP- if you have not already done so, try and make the flight you did for your XC during your training all over again. For me, it was an amazing opportunity to reflect on how I've grown as a pilot since those days.

Hint:

troll+eating+vw+Seattle.jpg

:no:
I'm currently in the process of building x-c time towards the instrument rating. With my last flight, I'm a little over half way to the 50 hrs. As I fly these x-c trips, I realize the wisdom in requiring the extra time. Getting in and out of new airports and using atc and flight following are necessary skills and I'm learning a lot about all of it.

Since I got my ticket, I've had the opportunity to fly with the president of our flight club quite a bit. He is an experienced pilot (recently became a CFI) and has helped me immensely in all facets of my education (learning the 530W, charging the battery after leaving the master on, and so on). It's been a huge help having someone to turn to with questions. That's one of the things that has surprised me so far. I've not run into the attitudes that I have in other ventures. Pilots love to talk flying and are more than willing to share or help when asked. It's made it very enjoyable to be a part of the GA family.

My most recent flight was a short trip from KLBE-N35-KFIG-KLBE. As part of my x-c time, I've been trying to go to airports I haven't seen yet. These two were both new to me.

N35 (Punxsutawney) is a quiet little airport with a 3000 x 50 paved strip and a 2000 x 100 grass strip (See attached pic). I opted for the paved strip as my short field landings are a bit rusty. I will admit that seeing a 50' wide strip threw my perspective off a little. I think I've only landed on one other runway smaller. The landing was ok if a bit long. We taxied back to look around, but there was nobody or nothing moving. So off we went to Clearfield.

This area of PA is beautiful from the air although it is a bit intimidating looking at the solid canopy of trees north of I-80 (left side of photo below). I kept thinking about where I would put it down if I had to. I'm definitely going to have to expand my trips this direction though, especially when the fall colors arrive. Seeing a solid canopy of all the colors must be amazing.

Clearfield was a nice size airport for the area. It has a nice 4500 x 75 paved runway (see photo) with a nice little building for a quick pit stop. Again, the view from the air is amazing. We only stayed for a minute because everything closed at 5pm. It seems that is common for a lot of the smaller airports, especially when there is no flight school to keep people on the property.

We climbed out and headed for 4500 msl. We wanted to try out the AP on the way back. It had been acting up for a couple other club members. We set the AP to track the 530W home and it flew straight as an arrow. I think I hand flew the first and last 10 minutes. The 30 minutes in between were looking and learning time. We did a little 530 work and I got a few tips on the plane's com system. The clouds had climbed from 4300 bk to 6000 sct on the way up so as you can tell from the attached photo, it was a beautiful day to fly. Smooth air and great visibility.

I am having a blast seeing these new airports and meeting the people I happen to run into. I'm in a great area of the country for flying. I'm lucky enough to have a nice variety of airports to learn from, all the way from little strips like Punxy to Class B Pittsburgh. This part of my flying experience is why I got my license in the first place.

I'm hoping to start my instrument training in the late fall. I wanted to save the required funds before I start. I know from experience in my PP training, that long breaks aren't good. Once I start, I want to be able to go the whole way through.

Have fun out there and be safe!

Plan a trip to 2W2 and really get an idea of what a different site picture looks like.

Scott , totally understand. Got my FAA ticket 3 weeks ago, and have 34 + xc hours (although I had 10 xc hours with my Transport Canada SEL PPL). Have a $300 brunch run set up (2 hour xc) in 10 days, have a 1.5 hour xc to get checked out in a club airplane with a glass cockpit, will take my son on a 1.8 hour xc two days later, and will have a 5 -6 hour trip in September to visit my daughter. I figure I can pick up the rest during my IR training. It's fun isn't it?

Kinda hard to do when your own state is a designated mountainous region.

Nice write up Scott. I need to do another IDI-fkl-fig-IDI flight again soon. Maybe I'll throw in a punxy flight just for a new dome to visit too...

Neat thing about airplanes, they can go over the terrain.

Crap. I better stop flying then.

And denverpilot flies in an area that makes where I fly look flat. I just have one 14,410 foot rock to dodge. :D

Nice pictures. You should fly up north a bit and check out some of the northern PA airports.

Any suggestions for must see airports? Things to see or do close by?

So what you're really trying to say, is "don't go time-building VFR in IMC." That sounds much better. Avoiding entire states that have mountains is ridiculous :p

If I had to avoid mountainous states, I'd have to avoid my state (Nevada) and all bordering states as well. We are surrounded by mountains.

And denverpilot flies in an area that makes where I fly look flat. I just have one 14,410 foot rock to dodge. :D

East is completely flat. Well sloped downhill toward Nebraska and Kansas where we send our "recycled" Coors. ;)

How do you tell the "recycled" stuff from the original?

I guess you have temperature, for a while anyway....

Dunno. The tourists "filter" it the first time. Closest I get is Blue Moon. :)

East is completely flat. Well sloped downhill toward Nebraska and Kansas where we send our "recycled" Coors. ;)

But, to the west of Denver is a whole different story. :yes:

BTW, I'm glad I had a morning flight to DEN today, rather than an afternoon flight. Looked at the weather radar lately? That was a heck of a cell north of Ft. Collins an hour or so ago.

But, to the west of Denver is a whole different story. :yes:

BTW, I'm glad I had a morning flight to DEN today, rather than an afternoon flight. Looked at the weather radar lately? That was a heck of a cell north of Ft. Collins an hour or so ago.

Been listening to the non-stop Tornado Watches and Warnings from the NWS radio for an hour. Getting sporty out there.

The local spotter network was activated this morning by 08:00 for northern Colorado, they knew it had big potential.

Probably didn't help that they blew the temperature high forecast by about 6 degrees either. High was supposed to be 84, and it was 90 an hour after the predicted day high. Lots of energy available, and it's definitely muggy/humid on this side of the dry line.

Booooom... And they're off! :)

Ha. They're now interrupting Warnings with new Warnings... Really sporty!

I was running a meeting at the Sheraton downtown with a window. It was raining fairly heavily for a while there. Pretty calm now.

Yeah Aurora and KBKF got the worst of it. Two cars completely submerged at the I-70 to E-470 interchange also I hear. Maybe as much as 4" of rain in an hour there.

Back