Building ForeFlight flight plans

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Didn't see this one in the ForeFlight FAQ, so I figured I'd ask here:

Can you build/edit your flight plans on the PC and then import to ForeFlight on the iPad, or do you have to build them on the iPad itself?

I've never even tried to build them on the PC and export them to FF. Unless you have some slick software on the PC, there is little or no advantage to doing this since it is so quick and easy to do it all on FF. It will already know about the plane, your address, phone number and such, so there's very little to add. You can do it quick and file it quick on FF.

Sorry I can't answer your queston.

As far as a direct import PC => iPad, no.

But what you can do is use the PC to determine your optimum plan. Then type it into FF.

I don't quite understand what you mean Mike. FF does about every aspect of flight planning I can think of already.

Keep in mind, I'm a rookie pilot, but I can't think of any aspect of flight planning that FF doesn't just do for you. If there's something I'm missing I'd like to know about it and always open to learn new stuff.

About all I have to do with FF is key in F00 KTYR:D and it does everything else.

As far as a direct import PC => iPad, no.

But what you can do is use the PC to determine your optimum plan. Then type it into FF.
That is kind what I figured....one of my biggest beefs with the Garmin portables as well.

I tend to do my prelim flight planning for trips at work on Fltplan.com so I have always longed for a way to simply import those flight plans to a portable device.

I don't quite understand what you mean Mike. FF does about every aspect of flight planning I can think of already.

Keep in mind, I'm a rookie pilot, but I can't think of any aspect of flight planning that FF doesn't just do for you. If there's something I'm missing I'd like to know about it and always open to learn new stuff.

About all I have to do with FF is key in F00 KTYR:D and it does everything else.
Well, I haven't messed around with the ForeFlight software much yet, but one of the nice things I like about fltplan.com is that when I put in my departure and destination, it will show me other user routes as well as most common ATC routings for the trip.

Not to be a FF salesman, but if you had FF on an IPad or IPhone, you can do that planning in seconds and the Flight Plan filer will pick up most of the data automatically.

The basic FF subscription includes a license for an IPhone AND an IPad. I now have both set up. I always have my IPhone in my pocket, so when curiosity questions come up, like I wonder how far it is to KXXX? I can key it in seconds and almost instantly see distance, MH already calculated, fuel burn, ETE and then press a button to get the route on a map that can consist of whatever chart, with a choice of about 15 overlays with everything from fuel prices to TFR's.

With the flight planning done, all you have to do is get in the plane, take off and follow the line, knowing where you are by watching the little blue airplane.

I never leave home without it, literally. My Iphone is always in my pocket except when flying. For backup I set my IPhone with FF in a yoke mount and have my IPad with FF on my lap.

End of sales pitch.

FF shows cleared IFR routes if they recently exist.

d889e4f5-7dac-2286.jpg

Well, I haven't messed around with the ForeFlight software much yet, but one of the nice things I like about fltplan.com is that when I put in my departure and destination, it will show me other user routes as well as most common ATC routings for the trip.

Understood. I'm not that far along in my flying yet for such long trips.

knowing where you are by watching the little blue airplane.

Controller: "Say last known position"

Slightly lost pilot: "I was on the magenta line! Then the batteries ran down!"

I believe FF indeed can "import" flight plans created on a computer. One can create and file them on Fltplan.com, and if one is using the same CSC Duats account, ForeFlight can download those plans. Under ForeFlight's "Settings", ensure "Download Filed Plans" is enabled. Once you go to the "File and Brief" tab, it should prompt you to download already filed plans.

Controller: "Say last known position"

Slightly lost pilot: "I was on the magenta line! Then the batteries ran down!"

:rofl:

This is why I started my GPS backup method pole in the Pilot Training Forum. Of course, in reality the GPS is probably the backup itself, not the other way around.

I believe FF indeed can "import" flight plans created on a computer. One can create and file them on Fltplan.com, and if one is using the same CSC Duats account, ForeFlight can download those plans. Under ForeFlight's "Settings", ensure "Download Filed Plans" is enabled. Once you go to the "File and Brief" tab, it should prompt you to download already filed plans.

Very good! I do have my CSC Duats account activated in FF. I will look at this.

(Smacking forehead)...

I never realized it would pull the stuff filed from other sources.

Cool!

Back