Building a pc need opinion

simtech

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Simtech
I am torn between the i5 3750k or the i7 3770k. Just doing an upgrade from a old dual core. Started to do some video editing and rendering. Just not sure if the i7 is worth the extra 100bucks though they say it is best for rendering. Any ideas between the two or those with the i5 rendering how does it do?

For 100.00 i'd get the i7.

Are you buying a computer or just upgrading the motherboard, processor, ram, and powersupply?

+1

If working with video/an application rendering video, go with the i7.

yes i7. How much ram are you considering?

For your uses (rendering) what I read is that you will be better off with the i7 vs. the i5.

Also, if you are running VM's then go for the i7 for the hyper threading, otherwise the i5 should be more than enough

Pls at least get a new power supply. I can't tell you how many people end up buying a good amount of money's worth of pc parts and skimp on the power supply. A good corsair power supply will ensure you get good longevity with the new hardware.

Pls at least get a new power supply. I can't tell you how many people end up buying a good amount of money's worth of pc parts and skimp on the power supply. A good corsair power supply will ensure you get good longevity with the new hardware.

If you don't already have one...

A bad power supply cost me a MB and processor. No more cheap PS in my systems.

My last build was in 2009 and I plan on using that case and power supply. It is a 500watt thermaltake power supply (plenty of power for my rig). Never a lick of problems, still think a new one? Well If I go for the i5 I can spare the budget and get a 120gig SSD as well. if I go i7 no SSD. I'm sure the i5 will be a marked improvement over my AMD 64 x2 2.5. Still thinking I hate decisions like this!!

Oh and no VM's just some light rendering from gopro camera and my cannon t1i. Just giving the info and Im still on the edge of the fence.

Okay im going crazy here, Im getting the i7 and the ssd drive! case closed! Thanks every one!!

Good move. The performance gain with a SSD is big. I just moved to SSD and could not believe the improvement.

Good move. The performance gain with a SSD is big. I just moved to SSD and could not believe the improvement.

Yeah Im gonna use the 120gig ssd for operating system and office. Ive got a new 1Tb WD black for the rest. Should be screaming over my current rig. Ill be running win 7 as well and hopefully this will serve me for 4 to 6 years. Hopefully!!

SSD's are nice... However I recommend that you setup and configure the Windows 7 backup with system image to another drive. An SSD's failure mode is very binary. Works one day and then kaput!

They have gotten better though just don't think that because they are not mechanical that they will not fail.

Good Luck!

SSD's are nice... However I recommend that you setup and configure the Windows 7 backup with system image to another drive. An SSD's failure mode is very binary. Works one day and then kaput!

They have gotten better though just don't think that because they are not mechanical that they will not fail.

Good Luck!

Another argument for backing up an SSD - if a conventional HDD fails there are ways to recover the data. I haven't heard of any if an SSD fails. My laptop at work has an SSD and is continually backed up to a server somewhere in the company. Oh, and we make SSDs. They are great and they are fast. I think you'll enjoy your new system.

My ssd is a Samsung 120gig. I am only putting the OS (Win 7) on it and will back up to my Western Digital Black caviar 1TB drive. System should be fast for sure and I can’t wait. It is all on a UPS truck as we speak out for delivery.

Last Friday I got a book delivered UPS at 11am today, fun stuff and 4:30pm and still no go!!!! Oh the insanity!!!!!! I have learned that stuff I don’t care about comes early and everything else comes late, it’s like they know!!

My ssd is a Samsung 120gig. I am only putting the OS (Win 7) on it and will back up to my Western Digital Black caviar 1TB drive. System should be fast for sure and I can’t wait. It is all on a UPS truck as we speak out for delivery.

Last Friday I got a book delivered UPS at 11am today, fun stuff and 4:30pm and still no go!!!! Oh the insanity!!!!!! I have learned that stuff I don’t care about comes early and everything else comes late, it’s like they know!!

And such is life right? :yes: Have fun!

System is up and running and wow the speed this thing has!! No lag, no choppy video, from power on to ready to go in 10seconds. I'm loving it! Video rendering is next but I'm suspecting a huge difference!

System is up and running and wow the speed this thing has!! No lag, no choppy video, from power on to ready to go in 10seconds. I'm loving it! Video rendering is next but I'm suspecting a huge difference!
If history is any guide, that will get slower and slower as Windoz and apps clog things up. I think it's about time for me to declog my laptop. With nothing but Firefox and Thunderbird running in the foreground, I have 113 processes scheduled to run. Hard to believe we used to get along with just one or two.

Back