Building a Cri-Cri

He mentions that Mr. Columban won't sell Cri Cri plans to folks in the US...anyone know why?

There was a wreck in Co years ago, fatal, widow sued him. He was disgusted. Also there is the claim that the wreck was due to a modification made by the then-vendor of the kit, nothing to do with Mr. Columban's design. Anyway, the designer now refuses sales in N. America.
They can still be had.
What is the status of a plan, when it is not purchased from the original designer, ie a pirated plan in a place when the designer refuses to supply to that locale? I doubt he would pursue it legally, he is anti-lawsuit apparently. How about the FAA, do they care what you build?

as far as the FAA is concerned if you built it you are the manufacturer. I doubt they have any concern whatsoever where you got the plans or if you followed them.

as far as the FAA is concerned if you built it you are the manufacturer. I doubt they have any concern whatsoever where you got the plans or if you followed them.

You can design and build an aircraft yourself if you so desire. Many have.

in addition to this if you are building a Cri Cri as an experimental meaning it will have a tail number the FAA requires a panel off inspection before an airworthiness certificate is given, so if your going to the trouble better make it right or all you'll have is an expensive piece of aluminum yard art.also the type of engines used on this aircraft require a 40 hr sign off period meaning you will be restricted to the practice area of your home airport for 40 hours see FAR/AIM pp 192 sec 91.319

Wow, that guy is a god among men. Amazing work he is doing.

Sorry, but any airplane I'd have to wear like a pair of sweat pants just scares the bejeesus out of me. I know some people like them, but... no way. That thing is sized about right for R/C servos.

in addition to this if you are building a Cri Cri as an experimental meaning it will have a tail number the FAA requires a panel off inspection before an airworthiness certificate is given, so if your going to the trouble better make it right or all you'll have is an expensive piece of aluminum yard art.also the type of engines used on this aircraft require a 40 hr sign off period meaning you will be restricted to the practice area of your home airport for 40 hours see FAR/AIM pp 192 sec 91.319

While technically that's all correct I know of quite a few DAR's that'll sign any thing off if the money's right.

While technically that's all correct I know of quite a few DAR's that'll sign any thing off if the money's right.

I was gonna write pretty much the same thing. Does anyone have the requirements around what a DAR is required to do? My sense is that there are good ones and bad ones, and the bad ones just dot i's and cross t's on paperwork and barely look at the airplane.

Hiring a "paperwork only" DAR is a pretty bad way to save a hundred bucks.

Back