Build it and they will come.... hopefully!

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Has any one here started or manage a flying club?

If so, outside of the obvious, that is having a plane, what are some of the other…”hmmm didn’t think about that” things that one should be looking at when starting such a venture?

Advice please… and thanks! Time to stop talking and start making it happen..

Start with Insurance. Find out who and what they are going to charge you. I think Insurance is the big bummer to the tune of $5k a year per plane....

You could start out single owned plane with 3 listed pilots plus the owner.....

Then when you have all insurance slots full and get another few pilots you can either have them get their own renter insurance or you can at that point look to upgrade to a club/rental insurance.

If I were doing a flight school or club I would look at what MOST folks will want to fly....Normally I'd say a Cessna 152 or 150 but with many Americans getting up there in weight I would be more likely to get a 172 or Cherokee as they have 900# useful load not only can be trainers for heftys but also can be used for 3 adults to use to go on $100 hamburger runs and 2+2 family trips so uses and thus demand is highest in this type of plane.

The Cherokee is about $4k cheaper than 172 all the while having identical performance characteristics so i would focus on a Cherokee for my first plane, the 2nd plane however I think I would want to offer something a bit different.....I would look at a Cessna 170 tail dragger as most people want to get that endorsement, its a fun plane to fly and just as cheap to own and maintain as a Cherokee, having both types of planes give you a breath of offering. The third plane I would ad would definitely be a retract like a Arrow. Unfortunately the Arrow is going to cost much more than the Cherokee or the 170. You could possibly buy a Comanche 180 for the money but you trade a cheap buy in for higher maintenance over the Arrow. If your club or school is really successful then you can ad one more option to your offering and have something to make everyone happy....that would be a inexpensive twin. I would go for an Apache with 2 150 or 160hp engines....

I know you said club and I keep saying club/school but the demand of flying is the same...same types of people will join a club that would go to a flight school so I feel you should consider those needs.

If you have a club with 1 plane your costs will be about the same as a single owner but slightly more as the more people who fly a plane the more sustainability to mistakes/damage/abuse/neglect. Having only one plane you are not likely to get economy of scale from renting hangars, tie downs nor maintenance and gas. However when you get your 2nd or 3 plane you should be able to negotiate good discounts from retail on your fuel/hangar/maintenance. You might even be able to hire a mobile A&P as a part time employee to do weekly improvements along with required maintenance. A club is not required to have 100 hr inspections but an A&P can perform most of the discrepancies found in an Annual inspection by the IA. This could save you money.

I answered with operational issues but the number one problem is how to get members/customers...So work on that plan first, #2 how to pay for the plane(s)

Good Luck

Start a massage parlor first, then if you build it, they will cum. That way you can afford the airplanes for the flying club.

Start with Insurance. Find out who and what they are going to charge you. I think Insurance is the big bummer to the tune of $5k a year per plane....

You could start out single owned plane with 3 listed pilots plus the owner.....

Good Luck

Thanks for your info, very informative.. Funny you bring up the Cherokee as I am looking at a PA28 140/160 right now as "the club's first plane".. I have also come accorss an opportunity for a Tomahawk, but it seems that those that don't know the plane have some hearsay harsh words for it and may present a problem with getting members/renters.

For now, I am thinking of staying away from the instruction part as I know this brings on a whole new aspect of regulations, insurance, etc... and plan to market the club to the 100 plus hour pilot looking build time, and get the advanced rating (s) with thier own instructor.

Start a massage parlor first, then if you build it, they will cum. That way you can afford the airplanes for the flying club.

Ahhh, The "Happy Landing Massage Parlor" :D

Thanks for your info, very informative.. Funny you bring up the Cherokee as I am looking at a PA28 140/160 right now as "the club's first plane".. I have also come accorss an opportunity for a Tomahawk, but it seems that those that don't know the plane have some hearsay harsh words for it and may present a problem with getting members/renters.

For now, I am thinking of staying away from the instruction part as I know this brings on a whole new aspect of regulations, insurance, etc... and plan to market the club to the 100 plus hour pilot looking build time, and get the advanced rating (s) with thier own instructor.

If you just put the plane for rent you need not worry if they are going to get their ppl in it. If you are trying to supply the plane and instructor that could be another matter.

I got nothing against tomahawks but since you are the will of the pilots you might as well not **** into the wind. Get planes that most pilots want to fly like a Cherokee and Cessna 170. You cannot duel purpose a 2 seat aircraft and if you had the chance to rent it to a #200+ guy then you are not going to get that deal. When I got my ppl there was no way I could fly in a 152 with fuel and an instructor unless I found one that weighted 60 lbs and still only took off with 1.5 hrs fuel. Unfortunately more people are getting bigger so its a factor.

awesome!

I got about 22lbs smaller :)

Actually, it was too much! When I hit 200 on a flight physical I said "Oh no". At 150 & 6' I was getting too skinny, current 158 which I've been maintaining is pretty good.

Back