Bug in new ForeFlight Search

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
But unfortunately not a clue how I got into it.

Went into Airport page, started to type in an airport identifier into the search box.

Hit something and from then on, only the map page had the search box/route box for data entry.

Going back to the Airport page would simply give this. No search box, no way to type anymore, just the recent searches and bottom portion of the page.

Not going to report it to ForeFlight since I can’t reproduce it.

Only way out was an app kill and restart. Nothing else I tired recovered the text entry box.

878c0e431fc341791d634030a2dbdf5b.jpg

But unfortunately not a clue how I got into it.

Went into Airport page, started to type in an airport identifier into the search box.

Hit something and from then on, only the map page had the search box/route box for data entry.

Going back to the Airport page would simply give this. No search box, no way to type anymore, just the recent searches and bottom portion of the page.

Not going to report it to ForeFlight since I can’t reproduce it.

Only way out was an app kill and restart. Nothing else I tired recovered the text entry box.

878c0e431fc341791d634030a2dbdf5b.jpg

Garmin pilot. Easy fix

Sent it to ForeFlight anyway. They might not know or they may already be working on a fix.
Nah, I've been on the receiving end of useless bug reports before... plus... they can find their own bugs. Or read PoA. (Which, they just might do anyway...) :)

I also had a problem that I couldn't reproduce:
I keyed in part of the city name into the searchbox on the maps page and it brought up some possibilities. (I do like that new feature). But it did something weird.

I keyed in "Murfree" and it came up with several suggestions and I clicked on KMBT and hit return. It came back with "no joy" because it was looking for "murfree KMBT". I cleared the search box and did it again and it worked. If I can reproduce it I will report it too.

Nothing like a premium EFB that constantly needs fixed.
Meh, that's all software nowadays... download it today, download it tomorrow, download it the day after that... Not really just a ForeFlight thing.

Meh, that's all software nowadays... download it today, download it tomorrow, download it the day after that... Not really just a ForeFlight thing.

Certainly what you get with software that costs $5 a month for the product and $10 for the marketing like FF.

Certainly what you get with software that costs $5 a month for the product and $10 for the marketing like FF.

AFAIK they’re privately owned and there is no way you know those numbers.

It’s also not that uncommon in the software world to do that either, so really you base the purchase decision on the merits of the software, not what they pay for Marketing.

There’s competitors, but only one is truly close in feature set. Some are adequate on overall needed functionality.

Garmin spends inordinate amounts of money on marketing, too. Doesn’t mean they don’t lead the panel installed IFR GPS navigator market.

Garmin’s minor but significant ace in the hole is Concierge for those of us with Flightstream devices.

If times were tough (and owning an aircraft, there’s always bills WAY bigger than two chart software subscriptions per year, which are still three times cheaper than paper charts from Jepp were decades ago) I’d buy Garmin Pilot before ForeFlight now. Because I would never ever want to go back to pulling a SD card out to update the panel mount gear, ever again. Never.

Pilot downloads the crap the airplane needs whenever it’s opened and the files are available, and after a couple of update cycles I can now update the airplane in two minutes flat.

But I’m familiar and have a flow with ForeFlight so I keep it for now. Pilot is darn close in needed functionality though. On iPad of course. Garmin severely badly needs to fix the Android version to match feature and functionality sets between the two versions.

And I’m sure as hell not going back to buying $12 paper VFR charts, let alone whatever paper IFR charts cost these days.

We’re in our free year of Pilot that came with the GTN, but I won’t be dropping Pilot ever with Concierge in it. Way too simple and convenient to keep the aircraft updated and IFR legal. If that’s ALL I used it for, $8 per 28 day cycle is well worth not jacking with laptop, SD cards, and removing and screwing around with them ever again.

The other features of the Flightstream 510 are awesome, but Concierge is what will keep me renewing Pilot. I’d rather go gouge my eyeballs out than mess with SD card updates. That feature is truly revolutionary.

FWIW I am very impressed/pleased with Aerovie especially with the new version released last week.

You used to be able to type your tail number into the search box, and whatever route you had filed would come up on the map. Worked great for me, saved a lot of time having to type it into the flight plan box. Can't do that any more, from what I can tell.

You used to be able to type your tail number into the search box, and whatever route you had filed would come up on the map. Worked great for me, saved a lot of time having to type it into the flight plan box. Can't do that any more, from what I can tell.

That’s worth an actual bug report.

Interesting.
That makes 3 suspected bugs that couldn't seem to be reproduced. Sort of like maybe some of the subroutines have random number generators that occasionally take a different path.

Back