Budgeting for avionics

It's always entertaining that people think an airplane built to Part 23 40 years ago that has been maintained under Part 43 are unilaterally safer than a 3 year old RV built by an IA/A&P. If you don't realize there's just as much Part 23 junk out there as EAB, you have your head in the sand....

It's always entertaining that people think an airplane built to Part 23 40 years ago that has been maintained under Part 43 are unilaterally safer than a 3 year old RV built by an IA/A&P. If you don't realize there's just as much Part 23 junk out there as EAB, you have your head in the sand....
Strong first post.

This is true from a maintenance standpoint, not from an engineering standpoint. A certified aircraft has a burden of proof for how much engineering and analysis has been done in the design. An experimental aircraft does not have that. Also certified aircraft are built to AS9100 standards which requires multitudes of checks and QA balancing as well as oversight. An experimental aircraft does not have that.

Are there well built experimentals and poorly maintained certified planes, asbo-freaking-lutely. But you know what you're getting from an engineering standpoint with a ceritifed plane. That's not to say that experimentals also don't have that level of engineering put into them, but they're not required to and as a result many dont.

IFR for sure. The short term goal/need is ADS-B out, bonus points for in as well. Might do an audio panel at the same time. 18 month goal is a WAAS GPS and some sort of backup artificial horizon, along with a new #2 nav/com. After that probably an autopilot, and maybe a PFD of some sort, but that is a play it by ear kind of thing.

You are on the right track. Depending on your current avionics installation, you will probably eventually want an interoperable panel with IFR GPS, ADSB, and AP. Ideally, glass panel (no vacuum system, e.g., G5s or equivalent). Additional costs can include a proper audio panel or CDIs. This can get very expensive, maybe 30-40K for all of it, depending on how much you have to do, and how piecemeal you do it. BTDT with a plane that was equipped with 1970s vintage Narco crap. It's all gone now. Don't want to think about the cost. But it is sure nice to fly behind.

I am in the market for an airplane, and trying to put numbers together. What is the best way to budget for avionics upgrades, without needing to get too specific? I know there are tons of variables, but I would like to have at least a ballpark figure to estimate what we can plan on spending down the road.

1.7 * retail price = installed price

I was going to say, take the retail price and add 60%. But, I'm in the midwest, so if you're in the northeast or west coast I'm sure it's more.

It also depends what the thing is. Installing an IFR WAAS GPS/Nav/Com is gonna run about $5K, whether you buy a $2K used King or an $18K new Garmin GTN 750 Xi. Audio panels are another fairly labor-intensive install. Autopilots are probably the most labor-intensive, what with servo installs and running wires all over the airplane.

But yeah, so far things have been in the Retail * 1.6 range.

OP, not sure where you are, but if you have an option try to find out a shop that will provide a all-in price. for example, my GTX 345 all in price was $5750 - doesnt matter how long they spend doing it. of course i am in middle of nowhere and i know this shop, but typically thats his price. also, if you go piecemeal basis, you will end up paying more in labor, lot more. so something to think about.

Back