Budget interior, PA28-140 Cherokee?

There was a fellow on this site who redid the interior on is Cardinal. What I recall is it was a huge project, especially since once the interior was out there were a myriad of issues that had to be dealt with. Not for the faint of heart. I suppose if one is a die-hard do it yourselfer, one could save some coin. That said, many of the needed tasks, like fiberglass layup and upholstery, aren’t in everyone’s skill sets.

Good time to do annual while all the interior (or part) is out? Might give a little ROI if it saves a few mx hours.

There was a fellow on this site who redid the interior on is Cardinal. What I recall is it was a huge project, especially since once the interior was out there were a myriad of issues that had to be dealt with. Not for the faint of heart. I suppose if one is a die-hard do it yourselfer, one could save some coin. That said, many of the needed tasks, like fiberglass layup and upholstery, aren’t in everyone’s skill sets.

I think the decision as to whether or not to undertake the task yourself or hire it out is based upon a lot of things. I started this thread and labeled it "Budget interior" intentionally; my plane has a very low time engine in it, but minimal old avionics for basic IFR (one navcom/glideslope/CDI/audio panel/transponder), fair paint, and an absolutely trashed interior with one of the panels completely missing and a poorly-fabbed homebrew hatrack bulkhead. I can see sinking money into the avionics just for utility (almost done replacing AT150 transponder with Stratus ESG.. should finish up tomorrow... then a panel GPS at some point w/in the next year I hope), but spending a lot of money on cosmetics (interior, paint) just doesn't make any sense to me on a '65 Cherokee unless at some point I just have money to burn AND decide that this is not only my first plane, but my "forever" plane.
Can I make the interior a LOT more comfortable and a LOT more attractive by doing it myself, while savings thousands over paying someone else to do an admittedly (and potentially MUCH) better job than I can myself? Yes. Will the results be as good as someone w/ extensive experience, specialized equipment, and staff? Doubtful. OK... no. It'll still be WAY better than what I have now. Some improvement is a lot better than none.

I've got a spreadsheet going, and the cost of DIY is creeping up; a lot of the plastic trim pieces are very brittle and/or broken w/ small pieces missing, and the overhead trim/light/speaker console piece suffered yet a few MORE cracks while installing the GPS antenna for the ESG. Buying carpeting, interior panel set, insulating foam from Airtex, and rear hatrack bulkhead, glareshield, and replacing broken-beyond-repair-or-painting plastic trim pieces from various sources at this point would cost about $3500. The time I've spent working on the airplane and NOT flying over the past two months rebuilding three brake master cylinders, repairing a leaking fuel tank, and installing the ESG have pretty much dampened my enthusiasm for anything else right now that will keep me out of the skies. I also have a panel-mount intercom I wanted to install, but as soon as the ESG installation is complete (everything else is done), I'm going flying... enough is enough for a while. I know two months seems like a long time to do so little work, but my A/P's airport is a 75 minute drive from my house, I've got to coordinate with his schedule, the weather (plane is outside and his hangar isn't always available as he has a lot planes going constantly), my work schedule, discovering a missing-but-needed-part that requires time to track down or order, blah blah.. it's really only been about four full days of actual wrenching, coupled w/ some bench work time at home.

Towards late fall, I'll take another look at this and move forward. Kind of had my fill of fixing instead of using... and am in the same boat with a sailboat now, too, which has been on the hard for over a year waiting for me to repair the transom. Maybe just sucking it up, dropping off the plane at a decent local shop, and writing a check might be better for my sanity... just definitely not my bank account.

Sooo.. anyway... thanks for keeping the thread going. I'll keep going on this too, and will post pics as things happen... when they happen.

Most plastic can be repaired using a can of ABS plastic plumbing cement, some ingenuity and masking tape. However, some of those pieces just crumble in your hands such as my overhead panel and are more trouble than they're worth. I finally gave up and ordered a new one from Plane Plastics or similar vendor. I really enjoyed fixing the interior in my plane as it was a labor of love but I admit, it can be tedious and expensive at times.

Most plastic can be repaired using a can of ABS plastic plumbing cement, some ingenuity and masking tape. However, some of those pieces just crumble in your hands such as my overhead panel and are more trouble than they're worth. I finally gave up and ordered a new one from Plane Plastics or similar vendor. I really enjoyed fixing the interior in my plane as it was a labor of love but I admit, it can be tedious and expensive at times.

Pretty much every piece of plastic trim in my plane was thin as an eggshell and equally brittle. The impetus to do something came when I reached up for the canopy latch, missed, and poked a hole in the trim with my finger. The window trim already had tape on it where it had cracked in two in multiple places. When I installed a GPS antenna for the NGT-9000 last year, it was not possible to remove and reinstall the rear window trim without destroying it. That drove me to the point of paying my mechanic to finish the job for the rear panels. I already had the parts, just no time to do it without sacrificing flying time. It only took an extra day or two of work during annual, and the old stuff had to come off anyway for the avionics install. The new plastic is infinitely superior to the OEM parts.

Prioritize items in the interior. Example, are your battery cables aluminum or copper? If Al, consider replacing with copper. Which means you need to remove all the panels on one side of the interior. No need to do everything at once, either.Consider just the front seats now. I ordered the seats from Airtex and had the local auto interior shop clean and install the airtex on the seats. Two days and all of a sudden, much more inviting the go flying without sitting on the metal frame of the cherokee.

The problem with our aircraft is simple. They're all old. They're all in need of attention in one way or another. However, in today's dollars most aren't worth that much. They aren't worth hiring someone to redo this sort of thing to do a quality job. The most rational way to own an airplane is buy one cheap, fly it until something big breaks, scrap it and buy another. Problem is as we do this we run out of airframes. Sooner or later someone has to make the economically nuts decision to go upside down on one of these to restore it. Thankfully people do, and it even makes some financial sense. An aircraft that's had quality restoration can look and feel new, but at a fraction of the price of a new airplane.

Airtex is pretty affordable if you are handy. I did my seats and panels and they look great. Replacing the plastic interior parts is a bigger and fussier job, and doing the wall panels may lead you down that path.

How much trouble would carpets and sidewall be for someone like me- new owner, not particularly handy, but with hangar space and time to spend? I mean, heck- how long does it take to remove and reinstall the seats? I'd like to be able to work on this over the summer in between flights if possible, or at least know my plane won't be down for two months when I start ripping the old stuff out.

You can order piecemeal, such as the only front panels and back bulkhead & install them, probably take a few days. Back bulkhead takes about an hour, IIRC. Remember to remove the old fiberglass or whatever it is, and clean the aluminum before installation.

Can you give me an estimate on how long it would take to do the side panels and then reinstall the seats? And is Airtex pretty good about helping newbies along? Just don't want to bite off more than I can chew here!

How much trouble would carpets and sidewall be for someone like me- new owner, not particularly handy, but with hangar space and time to spend? I mean, heck- how long does it take to remove and reinstall the seats? I'd like to be able to work on this over the summer in between flights if possible, or at least know my plane won't be down for two months when I start ripping the old stuff out.

Can you give me an estimate on how long it would take to do the side panels and then reinstall the seats? And is Airtex pretty good about helping newbies along? Just don't want to bite off more than I can chew here!

In my Grumman, the side panels and carpet can be done without removing the seats. It was an exceedingly simple job, taking only a few hours of fiddling with finding and using the existing screw holes for the side panels. The carpets snap in. This is for the forward seating area. The rear panels are plastic with glued-on fabric parts and were much more fiddly. Installing the plastic parts requires a lot of dry-fitting and painstaking custom trimming with tinsnips and/or Dremel tool. Any curved part is a bear. I'd rather pay someone to do it in a couple of days than spend a month of Sundays working on it and not flying. Airtex didn't provide me any instructions, just parts. I had to figure everything out myself or consult other owners who had done it before.

I still bow my head from my Oshkosh booth to my booth neighbors in the ''80s who founded Airtex and were killed going home from Oshkosh in their Cherokee. Never did find out what the ultimate cause of the crash was.

What a super neat couple they were.

Jim

Feel free to contact Dodd at Airtex...he’s great at providing help. I took the seats to the local upholstery shop that’s familiar with Airtex for them to install the new seat covers. I did the side panels myself, including adding more FAA approved insulation behind the panels, up against the sidewalls.

Been a while..here's the update. Bit the bullet and gutted the interior yesterday. All panels pulled, all original fiberglass insulation pulled. This is now officially a completely diy project. Obtained appropriate materials, made templates, cut panel boards, padding, and vinyl pieces today. Got crash course on advanced sewing machine operations from wife. Then got crash course on sewing machine maintenance and repair from the school of hard knocks. Completed a practice freehand panel out of scraps. Came out way better than expected. Very grateful for the folks who pushed me in this direction rather than prefab or custom interior vendors ( @Timbeck2 ) . I'll have MAYBE $300 into this when I'm done, and really, it's not THAT difficult or time consuming. Sand blasting and prepping the main and nose wheels for painting has been WAY less enjoyable.

Got a cheap plane? Some spare time? You can do this. Seriously. Pics will eventually follow.

Last edited:
Here's a fun little backyard "burn cert" test of a piece of the original interior side panel backing board.. ;)

edit... sigh.. won't let me upload an .mp4, even though I reduced the size down to 3.1Mb. Is there a way to post a video file that is NOT hosted on YouTube or cloud-based server? Not interested in those services...

I have redone the interior in my Warrior twice using Airtex and helped a friend do the interior of his Arrow IV. I put together my notes and recommended tools for the job. Dick Filson has an indepth guide with lots of pictures. PM me and I will send my guide and Dick's email to request a copy. I noticed your message with an estimate of two weeks to do the job. I made the same estimate for my second restoration but it turned into months.

I have redone the interior in my Warrior twice using Airtex and helped a friend do the interior of his Arrow IV. I put together my notes and recommended tools for the job. Dick Filson has an indepth guide with lots of pictures. PM me and I will send my guide and Dick's email to request a copy. I noticed your message with an estimate of two weeks to do the job. I made the same estimate for my second restoration but it turned into months.
Very kind... thank you. PM sent.

Back