Bucket list - Collings Foundation offering the chance to be a Phantom Phlyer

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I read in "Flying" recently that the Collings Foundation is offering a 1 hour experience in an F-4.... for 12.5 AMUs.

More than I can afford at the moment, but that is the one plane I've wanted to fly that I haven't yet.

For me, the F-4 is the meanest, loudest, nastiest airplane ever. It, like the DC-3, just seems to be "perfect" for it's role and time.

*AMU=Aviation Monetary Unit. 1 AMU = $1000.00

Yeah, but for a little over 12.5 AMUs, you could get a type rating in the DC-3. Personally, I'd rather fly the CF TA-4J, but even that is 8 AMUs/hr.

I did the TP-51C last month. I agree with above I'd rather do the TA-4J for like 7 grand. Also, does the F-4 have any controls modified in the back? If not, you're just along for a ride. Still a cool ride though.

There were a few dozen F-4's assigned to Edwards when I was there. I thought they were cool looking, but those nasty J-79 engines poured out some pretty nasty fumes. And the smoke...you could easily see them on a ten mile final. I worked at the flight line fire station (crash/rescue), and those planes easily lead the way with in flight emergencies. I heard a few people say that on paper, they shouldn't fly, but enough thrust could overcome anything. Flying bricks we called them. As far as loud, mean, and nasty...I'll take the F-111 and F-15.

$12.5K for something they used to pay me to do! WOW! I hope they thrown in a sick sack for that, I needed one on my first ride.

Oh, and there exist low smoke J-79s, the F4G had them.

USAF F-4's have rear seat controls, except you can't select afterburner from the pit.

$12.5K for something they used to pay me to do! WOW! I hope they thrown in a sick sack for that, I needed one on my first ride.

Oh, and there exist low smoke J-79s, the F4G had them.

USAF F-4's have rear seat controls, except you can't select afterburner from the pit.

I'm sure I'd throw up as well. I'd have a blast doing it though! :D

I heard a few people say that on paper, they shouldn't fly, but enough thrust could overcome anything. Flying bricks we called them. As far as loud, mean, and nasty...I'll take the F-111 and F-15.

What is "on paper" regarding how well they performed their function in combat? I believe that they also preceded the F-111 and F-15 by many years.

Back