Bucharest, Romania

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I am off to Romania at the end of June. I have never been there and was wondering if anyone here had been to Bucharest and had some must do or see things to do?

My in-laws were stationed in Sophia, and didn't have much to say about it except trips to Greece.

Sofia is the capital of Bulgaria. Wrong side of the Danube. Cue Johann Strauss...

Sofia is the capital of Bulgaria. Wrong side of the Danube. Cue Johann Strauss...

Yes, I know. Closest experience, and fun story.

Cleaning out their apartment I found a bottle of Uzo that was older than anyone on this board.

Yes, I know. Closest experience, and fun story.

Cleaning out their apartment I found a bottle of Uzo that was older than anyone on this board.

How did it taste? :)

Bucharest didn't feel welcoming to me, although there are plenty of things to do and see. I love Romania personally, though, and have considered it one of my 5 "oh snap, run!" places to emigrate to if things go sideways here in the US.

If you have the time to unwind, Constanta was great when we were there (2008) -- inexpensive for lodging ($40/nite for the western 3 star hotel with water view), and there is an irish pub right on the beach, owned by a french chef, where $20 for a couple will get you amazing food and wine and live music every night -- the topless beach in summer is also a treat, for when you don't get caught looking (and $10 for beer and lunch at the same place has a commanding view)

I found Cluj Napoca much more inviting, I can't explain why, the vibe of the town was more to my liking.

I understand a lot of people do the whole "Vlad's castle" tour -- I skipped that, but regret doing so. I even have fond memories of the stupid touristy stuff I do, so I'll be checking it out next time I'm there.

I had a gypsy child hit me up for food with the sad eyes at a market. I bought him a loaf of bread. He ate it and waited for me to leave. When I looked back, he had tossed the loaf in the trash and went back to busking. I should've taken a 2x4 to that little dog's ass.

If you have a car, the drives among all the sunflowers in the country are really spirit-lifting. There are no services on the back roads, and the country only has one damn highway. By no services, I mean no restroom, fuel, lunch stops, or hotels. nada. Plan accordingly.

The translations of rural restaurants that bother with english menus are hilarious. Most don't. When in doubt, I buy the most expensive thing on the menu (seldom > $3) -- because if I'm going to get roasted goat scrotum for my meal, I want it to be the best possible example that I can order. :D

$0.02

- Mike

Yes....

I found it less far along/improved than Budapest, felt more "Soviet". I'll see if I can find specific notes.

If you have time, find your way up to Transylvania. There are some interesting parts there...

Back