Brown Recluce Spider

When we moved into a brand new hangar, it didn't take long for the spiders to follow -- probably several hundred within a few months spinning their sticky webs and creating babies. We now regularly spray "Demon" pesticide, a wettable powder, every six months directly on them and elsewhere. It works!

Re: Brown Recluse Spider

NC19143 said:
Is this the Rocky Mountain spotted fever thing?

I have had it! Not a fun thing but easily controlled with antibiotics.

I work out side in the brush every day and have ticks all over me all the time. I easily find 10 to 20 ticks a day usually more, the most ticks I have ever found attached in one day (during the BIG search before showering) was 106! No BS we have these little seed ticks the are not the same as the Deer ticks but the Seed ticks, they leave a heck of a welt. There are some places you will walk threw a tick patch ( I call it) and look down and literaly have 100's on you.

My Older neihbors were telling me the other day that its just been in the last 30 to 40 yrs that we had ticks. I believe it is from our out of control deer herd.

Yes we have had Fiddle Black( Brown Recluse) spider here in NW Missouri for as long as I can remember.

Dog Man

Last edited:
Black Widows

There are more spiders in my hangar than any place I have ever seen. Many of them are Black Widows. Until some entomologist (professional or amateur) suggests something else, I will use Spectracide's "Bug Stop" because it is the best product I have tried. However, I will look for some of Gary's "Demon" and give it a try. -- Mike in Tallahassee

Last edited:
I was worned about them when I took my first ferry flight to ICTin the early 1960's and hav learned that they are almost everywhere. Ever since the service days I always shake my shoes and clothes before dressing. Did one time on a vacation out in the southwest shake out a small scorpion from my clothes before dressing. Lessons learned. Mother Nature sure has many little critters that can do big damage.

John J

dogman said:
I work out side in the brush every day and have ticks all over me all the time. I easily find 10 to 20 ticks a day usually more, the most ticks I have ever found attached in one day (during the BIG search before showering) was 106! No BS we have these little seed ticks the are not the same as the Deer ticks but the Seed ticks, they leave a heck of a welt. There are some places you will walk threw a tick patch ( I call it) and look down and literaly have 100's on you.

Yes we have had Fiddle Black( Brown Recluse) spider here in NW Missouri for as long as I can remember.

We have all those same critters in SW MO, too. We don't even go walking in our woods in the summer d/t the tick problem (we've got all kinds). I end up getting tested for Lyme disease (and a few other tick associated diseases) nearly every year d/t tick bites.

Steve said:
Updated 1/2005

http://spiders.ucr.edu/recluseid.html

Several important things:

1- check the map at spiders.ucr.edu/images/colorloxmap.gif to see if you live in an area that is supposed to have recluse spiders. If you do not live in any of the colored areas in the map, then it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that you have a recluse spider. It is POSSIBLE but incredibly unlikely.

2- because so many people have mistaken markings on a spider as violins, this is NOT a reliable characteristic for a non-arachnologist. You need to look at the eye pattern.

3- even if you have a recluse, bites from them are extremely rare, despite all the stories. Many of the really graphic nasty wounds you see on the internet as recluse bites can also be other conditions like necrotizing bacteria and pyoderma gangrenosum. Ninety percent of brown recluse bites are not medically significant, heal very nicely often without medical. intervention and treatment for most brown recluse bites is simple first aid (RICE therapy – Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). Many conditions are misdiagnosed as recluse bites when their cause is something else like infection, bad reaction to medication, diabetic ulcers, Lyme disease, or other underlying medical conditions.

Funny about the map. I first heard of a brown recluse at about age 10 when a neighbor here in Charlotte was bitten by one. That was over 30 years ago. My wife does ER medical records and there have been several this year.

They need to spread the red farther. :(

Last edited:

dogman said:

Dog Man

Now THAT is gross. I've been in places like that a couple of times, but the teeny deer ticks don't seem to be as common out West, so at least you can see the ticks when they're on you (the ones out here are maybe 1/8" across). I'm not fond of spiders, and I actually like snakes, but ticks are what I get nightmares about. We moved a year ago from Arizona to Idaho. Our property in Arizona was, for some reason, completely tick-free. Here, there are ticks around in the spring, and the first time one of the dogs came in with a tick, I was feeling ticks all over me for days before I finally got used to the idea. Yechhhhhh!

Judy

Re: Black Widows

Mike Schneider said:
There are more spiders in my hangar than any place I have ever seen. Many of them are Black Widows. Until some entomologist (professional or amateur) suggests something else, I will use Spectracide's "Bug Stop" because it is the best product I have tried. However, I will look for some of Gary's "Demon" and give it a try. -- Mike in Tallahassee

Mike,

You'll need to find an outlet that sells professional pesticides to the public to buy "Demon" (with advice, of course). There are some internet sites that do this, as well as some local professionals catering to do-it-yourselfers . The only problem with wettable powders is that you have to be careful not to mix it too strong -- the powder will clog up your sprayer. But it does kill the spiders.:yes:

Last edited:
Any foreign creature that enters the house uninvited is dead meat. But we have to be pretty careful about what we spray outside. I would hate to kill the beneficials that lurk in the garden and the orchard.
Last year I was pulling weeds in the garden and I THOUGHT I had pulled up a piece of that plastic stuff that wraps around the base of the young trees to protect from rodents, and it turned out to be asnake. Scared the crap outta me, but the snakes take care of the rodents. Pete found on in the orchard last week, it seemed quite happy and content there.

Diana said:
We have all those same critters in SW MO, too. We don't even go walking in our woods in the summer d/t the tick problem (we've got all kinds). I end up getting tested for Lyme disease (and a few other tick associated diseases) nearly every year d/t tick bites.

Hey, they are there in between you two, also. I am talking about Benton County, about on the border of both of you.

Joe Williams said:
They've been in the US for a while. When I went through Army basic training at Fort Leonard Wood, MO in 1984, they were warning us about these nasty creepy crawlers.

They were saying the same in '76 when I did BCT at Fort Lost-in-the-Woods, Misery.

When I first saw this I took it for real but, (after snoops deal) I looked at the fingernail on the thumb it is still a healthy pink hummmmm would that be possible??????

I wish these things would stop showing up on the internet if they aren't true..?

sigh

Tim said:
When I first saw this I took it for real but, (after snoops deal) I looked at the fingernail on the thumb it is still a healthy pink hummmmm would that be possible??????I wish these things would stop showing up on the internet if they aren't true..?

Snopes has not said it is untrue, only undetermined. And if true, a rare occurence. I think collateral circulation could allow the tip of the thumb to survive, regardless of the cause of adjacent tissue death, Tim. Bruce?

Hey while my wife was in town, a huge Wolf Spider jumped onto the kitchen counter while I was sippin tea! Man, she wouldn't have slept tonight if she was in her chair at the time.

Had a female wolf spider bigger than a silver dollar one night, whacked it and 50 million little ones took off in all directions...guess they carry there young on their backs. Close proximity to the garage allowed for immediate duct tape access and I was able to rustle up most of them varmints. Now I take a closer look before deciding to whack.

Re: Black Widows

We buy demon at the local DIY pest contron store. Great stuff. It'll kill everything that don't pay rent at your house.

Gary Sortor said:
Mike,

You'll need to find an outlet that sells professional pesticides to the public to buy "Demon" (with advice, of course). There are some internet sites that do this, as well as some local professionals catering to do-it-yourselfers . The only problem with wettable powders is that you have to be careful not to mix it too strong -- the powder will clog up your sprayer. But it does kill the spiders.:yes:

Back