Broken Volume control on KX155

loakleyi@aol.com

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
lin
Noticed my volume control broken off the other day. It sticks out about 1/16 inch. Anyone ever successfully repaired one without opening the radio up? Can the Knob be replaced without replacing the whole faceplate? If so, anyone have and old unusable faceplate that I could buy the Knob out of?

Thanks,
LIn

$40 or so for that knob, shipped. The knob for the VOR is identical. One might set the audio level on the infrequently used VOR, then swap the good knob over to the comm side, if $40 is too steep for a small piece of plastic.

If you broke the shaft, it's more than just the knob. The radio needs to go into the shop. If it's just the knob that came off the shaft (and got lost), you can swap it from a disused one or most radio shops tend to have a box somewhere of random ones that fit.

What I have is a part of the knob that still sticks out some. I can adjust the volume with a pair of needle nose pliers. Is this something that can be fixed without removing the face plate? Remember this knob also pulls out to adjust the squelch so I didn't figure it would be something that would just pull off and on but I'm no expert either.

The radio needs to be removed. The face plate comes off (four screws). The switch for the squelch control on both the volume and the VOR knob holds the actual knob on, and are mounted to a circuit board with two very small screws. Would take fifteen minutes tops to do the whole thing.

The radio needs to be removed. The face plate comes off (four screws). The switch for the squelch control on both the volume and the VOR knob holds the actual knob on, and are mounted to a circuit board with two very small screws. Would take fifteen minutes tops to do the whole thing.

Sir, you don't quite understand. If it takes needle nose pliers to adjust the volume, the brass/steel SHAFT of the control sheared off. No amount of hardware removal will fix a volume/squelch control with a sheared shaft, certainly not in fifteen minutes.

Jim

Maybe I don't understand. When the OP said part of the KNOB is sticking out, I envisioned the plastic part, not the metal, which, as you say, is considered shaft. I know I have used needle nosed pliers to rotate sheared knobs before, but maybe that is not what's going on here.

If it is in fact a broken metal shaft, then I wholeheartedly agree with your time to repair assessment, and suggest the less expensive option of upgrading to a GTN650. :lol:

Last edited:
Since I can't find the part that is missing , I'm not sure if it's more than just the plastic piece. Since it still seems to work with pliers, I'm thinking it's only the knob.

Still a little unsure what is meant by "The switch for the squelch control on both the volume and the VOR knob holds the actual knob on". Is this something I will see when I remove the face plate?

Thanks
Lin

Since I can't find the part that is missing , I'm not sure if it's more than just the plastic piece. Since it still seems to work with pliers, I'm thinking it's only the knob.

Still a little unsure what is meant by "The switch for the squelch control on both the volume and the VOR knob holds the actual knob on". Is this something I will see when I remove the face plate?

Thanks
Lin

OK, then, how do you plan on fastening a new knob the little tiny part you are turning using needlenose?

Jim

i realize this response is very late but i had this same problem and figured in case any one else needed the solution you actually need only to remove the bottom cover of the radio then with tweezers remove the retaining clip on the back of the shaft pull the old knob out careful to leave the barrel in place then align the slots of the new knob shaft slide it into place and through the barrel then secure it with the clip one again and reinstall the lower cover

This post is worthless without pictures....

Back