Broken Cirrus on Ebay

grattonja

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saratoga driver
Thought this might stir some discussion on the Cirrus, parachutes and "pilot error".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...626440557QQcategoryZ63677QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Let's see if the link works. "PILOT ENCOUNTERED ICING EN FLIGHT, SHUT DOWN ENGINE AND PULLED THE CHUTE"...

I've got my opinions on Cirrus and marketing to a segment of purchasers who have more money than judgement.

Jim G

Cool, the link even works.

Anyone know how hard it is to fix the composite airframe? What does it cost to replace the parachute? I would think that any wing damage could be fixed by just replacing the affectd wing. It looks as though the tail is separated from the rest of the aircraft. If someone was looking for an SR22 to fly, and wasn't worried about taking a hit on the resale value of a plane with damage history, this could be a real deal, provided of course that the rest of the airframe, engine, and prop all checked out.

HuskerMedic said:
Anyone know how hard it is to fix the composite airframe? What does it cost to replace the parachute? I would think that any wing damage could be fixed by just replacing the affectd wing. It looks as though the tail is separated from the rest of the aircraft. If someone was looking for an SR22 to fly, and wasn't worried about taking a hit on the resale value of a plane with damage history, this could be a real deal, provided of course that the rest of the airframe, engine, and prop all checked out.

AFAIK, there are no manuals or approved procedures for doing such a rebuild, so you either make the plane an experimental, or strip it for parts. I don't think even the factory can do a rebuild.

The Cirrus in the Parade of Planes at AOPA Expo in Ft. Lauderdale hit a street sign and took out the wing tip. I dunno how they ever got that one out, but I bet it was made into a new plane in Duluth.

Last edited:
mikea said:
There are no manuals or approved procedures for doing such a rebuild, so you either make the plane an experimental, or strip it for parts. I don't think even the factory can do a rebuild.
I thought I read (here?) recently that the factory has, in fact, rebuilt and resold a couple of airframes that used the chute?

gkainz said:
I thought I read (here?) recently that the factory has, in fact, rebuilt and resold a couple of airframes that used the chute?
Not sure about "sold," but I know they've offered at least one such for sale. In any event, only the factory can do this. If someone buys a Cirrus that's had the chute pulled, they will have to send it to the factory for repair and approval for return to service before flight.

Ron Levy said:
Not sure about "sold," but I know they've offered at least one such for sale. In any event, only the factory can do this. If someone buys a Cirrus that's had the chute pulled, they will have to send it to the factory for repair and approval for return to service before flight.

And you can bet that won't be cheap. :D Might just as well buy a new one.

Ghery said:
And you can bet that won't be cheap. :D Might just as well buy a new one.
The other question, about which I have heard nothing either way, is whether any underwriters would insure a Cirrus which had significant structural rebuilding -- they tend to be wary of situations without statistically significant numbers or experience.

Back