Broke autopilot, 55X good mechanic???

truckstrailers

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
truckstrailers
Anyone know of a good autopilot guy half close to Bismarck ND?? Mine is way out of whack and local guys don't seem to be able to fix it.

It's in my saratoga 2tc. It porpoises bad when coming to preselected altitude. Doesn't hold altitude sometimes with no rhyme or reason. Everything much worse in chop.

Any ideas or recommendations of what to have them look for or who to send it to???

Thank you

Check the supply voltages at the control units. The goes wonky in pitch I've found when the bus voltage gets a tad low.

When I had porpoising in my 60-2, it was the altitude hold servo.

Yep, my 182 with a 55x is in the shop with a porpoising problem too. Holds altitude fine in vertical speed = 0, but not in altitude mode. Looks like a pitch servo with too much slop. The key evidence was turning the auto trim off, setting the plane out of trim, and seeing if it would hold altitude normally then. It did.

Good luck...a/p problems can be a bear to diagnose.

Not exactly close to KBIS, but I'd start by calling Autopilots Central in Tulsa, OK (KTUL). It's not a long flight there in a Toga 2TC if that becomes necessary. They have a good reputation and I have spoken with them before. Very knowledgeable.

Back