Brilliant PR move

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
I sure wish the other airlines would take a lesson from southwest. I dont need a ticket with a seat number on it if it means more taxpayer money for bailouts. Heck, southwest is giving away free seats....you think they are going to go running to the government anytime soon for money? Nope. They will however gain a few new clients from these type of public relations moves.

From USA Today Money:
Southwest to Independence Air customers: Fly us for free​
Southwest has become the first big airline to offer free travel to customers ticketed on now-defunct Independence Air. Federal laws passed after 9/11 already require surviving carriers to transport customers of a collapsed airline for a fee of no more than $50 each way, but Southwest is the first to say it would accommodate Independence Air customers for no charge. That move comes as Southwest’s traditional rivals are charging customers holding Independence Air tickets $50 per flight to fly standby -- and some are charging $100 each way for customers wanting a confirmed seat. That could backfire on the traditional airlines, some industry observers say -- with some adding that the tactic is yet another shrewd public-relations move by Southwest.
“Southwest will win customers for life with their strategy,” says industry analyst Henry Harteveldt of Forrester Research. He tells me that the additional costs Southwest will incur by doing this are relatively minor. "But the PR Southwest will get, as well as new customer loyalty, will more than pay for this," he says. Alan Bender, Professor of Aeronautics at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, agrees. “They gain incalculable goodwill” with the move, he says. As a result, Bender tells me he thinks “Southwest makes the legacy carriers look like Scrooges.”
Travel columnist Joe Brancatelli put it like this: "The Big Six (airlines) are actually trying to sell people seats. ... On the other hand, Southwest, which probably has the most available seats, is saying, 'Hey, come on over and we won't charge you.' Who do you think the customer is going to remember bailed them out? They are going to remember Southwest."

Upon reading that the first thing that came to mind is trying to grip sand. Try it some time, the tighter your grip, the more the sand falls from your hand. Of course, it's not about holding sand but it is a good metaphor for what happens when you get greedy. The carriers are greedy. Greed blinds one to the big picture because it turns one's focus to the short term gain; in this case, the big picture is winning long time customers.

that really is a good idea and great PR, BUT, the closest Southwest is to DC (Dulles - home base for Flyi) is BWI, and to be honest, I'd suck up the 100 bucks for the convenience factor - but that's just me and obviously that's only for Dulles not all the other airports who served Flyi.

either way though it's a win b/c it sure makes them look good.

Richard said:
Upon reading that the first thing that came to mind is trying to grip sand. Try it some time, the tighter your grip, the more the sand falls from your hand. Of course, it's not about holding sand but it is a good metaphor for what happens when you get greedy. The carriers are greedy. Greed blinds one to the big picture because it turns one's focus to the short term gain; in this case, the big picture is winning long time customers.

yes and no? I see what you are saying but if United charges a hundred bucks for a RT ticket replacement but also happens to be really good for my other routes (nonstops, safe, etc) I'm not going to give it a thought. convenience and safety would be more important to me, and I bet most other people eventually will forget that United or American didn't offer free tickets.

Elizabeth, good point. So pax convienence trumps crappy business model? All of which then degrades into that lack of pax loyalty we were talking about a couple weeks back. And when the big bad but convienent airline strands you somewhere somehow......and won't offer a fix, then what?

GA to the rescue!

Back