Brick & mortar pilot shops

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Some questions - do you get all/most of your pilot stuff (charts, etc) online or at a local store?

Is there a price where you'd forgo digital charts and stick with/go back to paper charts?

Do you ever go into a pilot supply shop to browse and buy something other than charts?

Some questions - do you get all/most of your pilot stuff (charts, etc) online or at a local store?

Depends on if they have it, and if I forgot to order online. ;)

(Thanks for the oil filter again, by the way!!!)

Is there a price where you'd forgo digital charts and stick with/go back to paper charts?

Only once in a while I want paper. I just posted about the mess that Foreflight has at chart borders with "stitching" out near Limon (KLIC). I'll probably always lose a little useful load to having one maybe not too out of date set of paper in the airplane, but mainly... no paper anymore.

Do you ever go into a pilot supply shop to browse and buy something other than charts?

I bought my Lightspeed headset at the local shop and they wouldn't take it back the next day when I realized it came out of the new box missing a part. They keep zero inventory beyond a single pair of each type and they told me to ship it back to Lightspeed.

I bought from them to support the locals and because their price matched online vendors. I got zero extra service out of it, and wouldn't do it again. Headsets, I like to try them on but I'll do that at OSH from now on.

As far as "other stuff"? I bought a $2 APA sticker for the Yukon, a replacement E6B for my beat up one, and an IFR hood, again so I could try it on.

I looked at the pathetic selection of t-shirts wishing someone would make some high-quality polos or button-downs and that they stock them, but with tons of sizes of pilots, that'll never happen.

I ended up buying a CPA polo and a PoA polo instead, online. Even that local "Runway Pilot" fashion statement stuff they do stock, wasn't my style. Just wanted something I could wear to work that said "Cessna" on it.

Bought a book or two in there. Again, very limited selection and stock. I don't even think they have "Stick and Rudder" in there. Just mostly ASA prep stuff.

In all, it's "nice" that we have a couple of stores but they're mostly an excuse to go browse. Their inventory never changes and they don't stock a lot of stuff.

More and more, it's either the web or over to Falcon Crest just off the airport for parts and cleaning supplies. There's also a cleaning supply place tucked away on the 2nd floor of TacAir Hangar 10, which is mostly office space on the public entrance side. If we run out of wash/wax or Prist I might pay their price for a bottle/can and then go home and order a case. Ha.

I know why you're asking. ;)

The responses to the thread will be interesting, but every airport's different...

When I started flying as a student, I visited a pilot's store at Cutter in KABQ, and they were out of stock for the local chart! I drove to another airport where the FBO had the chart and A/FD. I mostly did it because I wanted to probe the ways of aviation. I understood quickly that it's not 1975 anymore. Not only GA is dying in general, but Amazon and Android are driving a stake through the heart of pilot's store.

When we visited FTG, I flew up, Brian flew down. He was concerned about deviating around storms at COS and bought not just the local chart, but Wichita and DFW too. I was quite impressed that the store even had those. But then FTG and Centennial are islands of activity in the sea of darkness.

I suppose if you live in Dallas, TX, you might find customers.

Last edited:
The Aviator's Store, on Boeing Field in Seattle. I'm not averse to buying a book or two from Ken Lane, but I have known the owner of The Aviator's Store for over twenty years and it would be hard to pass her up for a buck or two.

Bob Gardner

If I'm planning a flight well in advance, I'll usually buy my charts online direct from the FAA. That said, I find myself frequently buying from the local FBOs. I don't think it's so much a matter of price as it's a matter of convenience for me.

Other than that, I've spent more than a little money at 39N's pilot shop. Mostly on books, some on gear (foggles, approach plate sleeves, etc).

I try to buy locally ... because we've gone from three [3] full-service/stock
pilot shops on the field to one [1] ... and I want them to survive.

Ocassionally; I'll visit the Aviation aisle at NAPA or Home Despot.

Last edited:
I buy charts from my local FBO that has a small pilot shop. My headsets I buy direct from the Mfg ( lightspeed), My favorite brick and mortar shop is " The Pilot Shop" at KLNS the have an online personna at joepilot.com

I love to wander their isles. I got my 296 there.

Everything on line.

All I use is paper charts.

Dunno where (or if) there is a "pilot shop" in the area.

I last visited a brick and mortar shop outside Ellington Field in Houston
back in 1994.

I remember those pilot shop days, they seem so long ago now. Carrying in my giant bag of charts, going through them to find the out of date ones, then hoping (often falsely) that the shop actually had the current ones. Or buying all those books and other crap, that you can just get online for free, or order from Amazon now.

The online shopping experience is just so much quicker, easier, and better. I see them going away.

The nearest pilot shop to me is at PDK, about 20-30 minute drive:eek: I needed an ASA private pilot prep book for me son yesterday, and ordered it from Amazon. I am not an everything is better online guy, it was just much easier to order it from my desk, than try to figure out a time to spend an hour getting a $12 book.:rolleyes: Had I thought about it Tuesday, I was in the area and would have stopped in and bought it from the shop, I want to see these guys survive. I don't see how they are going to make it unless they are at a pretty busy airport with plenty of training activity.:confused:

I still buy my paper charts at the local FBO. Little inventory but they'll get whatever you need.
My favorite pilot shop (The Pilot Shop at OWD) closed a few years ago. He always had lots of inventory, could sample the headsets there, free lifetime repairs on them, competitive pricing. Joe was a senior veteran pilot with lots of experience and great stories to tell. He retired only to pass away short time later.
There are not many stores in the area. It looks like Plymouth's has disappeared and Norwood's is gone. Nashua's Wings looks like its still doing business but is selling on eBay. I haven't been in the store in 5 years.
Online is good as long as the prices work and delivery times match your needs. Sometimes, browsing a real store helps you find things you didn't even know you needed.
By the way, my last two headsets were bought used. One off a webboard and the other off AOPA's classified. The last big purchase from a real store was an Icom A24 from the local FBO about 10 years ago who matched an online price.

I like saving money online, but when you need to drive and quickly pick up something, it's invaluable to support the local dealer. I use The Pilot's Shoppe in San Antonio.

Ryan

I forgot to mention that you always have to spend one day at OSH becoming poorer in the big hangars with all the vendors... I try to hold off on purchases until heading to Aviation Mecca, since there's always a show deal on...

There is a nice little pilot shop here at KAPA that I try to support whenever I can. They have a nice selection of charts and other "stuff".

I use sportys or any other online store. The only advantage of brick and mortar stores at airports is that you can buy last minute stuff.

There is a nice little pilot shop here at KAPA that I try to support whenever I can. They have a nice selection of charts and other "stuff".

It looks like we have another member of the Denver...er... Colorado POA contingent!

When I lived in Orlando (KORL) the local Pilot Shop had everything I could possibly need and more.
I would browse around on lazy weekends and buy gadgets that I didn't really need.
I bought all my training materials there and my headset and t-shirts.

But here in Jacksonville Florida there is no worthwhile pilot shop to browse so all my shopping is done online on a need basis only.

The rest of my shopping is at Sun-N-Fun.

Probably the nicest pilot shop that I have ever been to was Yingling Aviation in Wichita, KS. It's a nice high end shop. In the same building you can peek through the windows and watch them assemble new C-162s.

We get our VFR charts from the local FBO, and sometimes buy a case of oil from them too.

At the other end of the spectrum, I was at Aircraft Spruce at AJO this morning picking up a part. Good thing I was in a hurry and didn't have time to browse. Their show room floor isn't that spectacular, but certainly enough to do damage to the bank account. I end up at Spruce a few times a year, more so, of course, if our annual is done on-field at AJO.

Jeff

There's actually two. ;)

Oddly enough, the Pilot Shop (yes, that's the name) is identified as a pilot supplies retail store, and the Bamboo Airstrip is listed as a gift shop. Really strange.

We buy paper charts at the local FBO, but for other stuff, we can drive to Sportys faster than we could fly there.

Probably the nicest pilot shop that I have ever been to was Yingling Aviation in Wichita, KS. It's a nice high end shop. In the same building you can peek through the windows and watch them assemble new C-162s.

I haven't been to the Yingling one since 1996, but it was nice even back then!:D No C-162's though. ;)

Back