Breitling Emergency Co-Pilot

Darsh

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Darsh
Does anyone happen to own one of these?
I'm thinking about purchasing one as a back-up to my ELT. Does anyone have any experience with these watches?
breitling-e76321-5821-large.jpg

They're a little on the costly side, but I'm not too worried about that. I'm more concerned about the functionality of it. I know Sarsat stopped monitoring 121.5 years ago, but would this still be of use?:confused:

A real PLB would do about a 100-fold better job. The watch is a toy compared to a 406 PLB.

A real PLB would do about a 100-fold better job. The watch is a toy compared to a 406 PLB.

I'm also in the mood for a new watch haha. A PLB is going to be purchased soon. But God forbid that runs out of battery and my elt doesnt work. This watch is a back-up to a back-up.

Spemd the money on a PLB, put the rest into a piggy-bank. Every 6 months take money from the piggy bank pay an instructor to do a mock-checkride including oral exam with you, Both of those things will increase you odds of survival so much more than a underpowered beacon on a obsolete band.

Hey I feel bad about being blunt so I'll add my dad's and grandfather's wisdom...

"If you have the money and want a watch, buy the watch." ;)

:popcorn:

We go to great lengths to justify big purchases.

Heck, my iPad is only for Foreflight too! And if you believe that... ;)

Buy are real PLB, and with the money leftover a Fortis B-42, or Sinn 103. Breitlings have really become flashy mall watches and not tools anymore.

I'm also in the mood for a new watch haha. A PLB is going to be purchased soon. But God forbid that runs out of battery and my elt doesnt work. This watch is a back-up to a back-up.

Do you have any independently obtained (i.e., not from Breitling) data on the range of its 121.5 signal? My guess is that it is going to be quite short. Without the facts, I regard this feature on the watch as no more than a toy that the marketing folks can exploit.

If you are worried about the PLB battery going dead, buy 2 plbs and a timex. It will still be cheaper than the Breitling.

OTOH, if you want a fine piece of jewelry, go for the Breitling. Or the Hanhardt. Or the Rolex. Just understand what you are getting!

-Skip

Steve Fossett had one of those.

I read that he was not wearing it.
I like mine. But it is just a back up only. It is a nice watch. Most that don't like them would not spend 5k on any watch.

Last edited:
It's a nice watch. It's a lousy ELT. As in "setting it off during the approved test window generated noise on a handheld nearby, but a CAP airplane in the pattern could not get a DF fix on it" lousy.

It's a nice watch. It's a lousy ELT. As in "setting it off during the approved test window generated noise on a handheld nearby, but a CAP airplane in the pattern could not get a DF fix on it" lousy.

not exactly true, they have helped in rescues

this is from wikipedia "Reuters reported that in January, 2003, two British pilots, Squadron Leader Steve Brooks and Flight Lieutenant Hugh Quentin-Smith, crashed their helicopter in Antarctica and were rescued after activating their Breitling Emergency transmitter watches. The two pilots were in their lifeboat when a Chilean Otter aircraft found them after homing in on signals from their watches."

this is from wikipedia "Reuters reported that in January, 2003, two British pilots, Squadron Leader Steve Brooks and Flight Lieutenant Hugh Quentin-Smith, crashed their helicopter in Antarctica and were rescued after activating their Breitling Emergency transmitter watches. The two pilots were in their lifeboat when a Chilean Otter aircraft found them after homing in on signals from their watches."

No, I think that was the Spot they were using that saved them. :wink2::D

Well, in a real life test I participated in, it was EXACTLY true. I'm glad those Brits had a better experience.

What's a wristwatch?

Does anyone actually wear them these days?

I mean, I'm seldom (if ever) without a time keeping device such as my cellphone. Haven't had the need to consult a wrist watch in years.

I guess this is a " whatever makes you happy" item.

Well, in a real life test I participated in, it was EXACTLY true. I'm glad those Brits had a better experience.

one instance one way or the other does not tell the whole story

My cousin works for a doctor in florida who used his and they were able to find him. That is another case I know of where it worked. I am sure you were not the first person it did not work for.

So you used one in a emergency and was not found?

Last edited:
What's a wristwatch?

I mean, I'm seldom (if ever) without a time keeping device such as my cellphone. Haven't had the need to consult a wrist watch in years.

Please tell me you are joking.

What's a wristwatch?

"Top of the hour" is slowly losing meaning. ;)

Ok please don't take this to harsh, but what is the point of asking for thoughts on the matter if every time they give you their opinion you just justify purchasing it? If you want the damn thing buy it. Although it sounds as if you already have.

Last edited:
He's not. The only time I wear a watch is for flying, actually... If even then.

I like a nice watch, fast cars and airplanes. Guess that is getting old school. If I wore no watch and drove a Prius I would probably just jump off a bridge.

"Top of the hour" is slowly losing meaning. ;)

As is "watch your six" and "traffic, 12 o'clock, 2 miles, your altitude":yikes:

Actually, I sometimes have to think for a second when they call traffic where 3 o'clock is, because, even on those rare occasions when I do wear a watch, it's digital.

"I do not always wear a timepiece, but when I do, it is often cheap and digital. Stay thirsty my friends." :rofl:

As is "watch your six" and "traffic, 12 o'clock, 2 miles, your altitude":yikes:

Actually, I sometimes have to think for a second when they call traffic where 3 o'clock is, because, even on those rare occasions when I do wear a watch, it's digital.

Do you buy your suits at Sears? Just giving you a hard time.

I own that watch - my wife bought for my birthday several years ago. It's not the Breitling that I'd want if I bought one for myself because it's too bulky and it just screams "I'm a tool." There's much more attractive watches from Breitling and others. I personally see no point in a "pilot's watch" - in 1800+ hours of flying over 11 years I've never used a watch for anything other than to tell me if I'm hungry or not.

He's not. The only time I wear a watch is for flying, actually... If even then.

Denver's right...no joke. I don't wear one flying either. There are four to five timekeeping devices in the plane all the times...don't need no steenkin' watch.

Got...
The original 8 day clock
2 gps's
iPad
Electronic timer/clock
Cellphone

I haven't worn a watch in at least 8 years except when playing dress-up.

Wait.

I haven't done that in 8 years either! :wink2:

I own that watch - my wife bought for my birthday several years ago. It's not the Breitling that I'd want if I bought one for myself because it's too bulky and it just screams "I'm a tool." There's much more attractive watches from Breitling and others. I personally see no point in a "pilot's watch" - in 1800+ hours of flying over 11 years I've never used a watch for anything other than to tell me if I'm hungry or not.

As for the "I'm a tool" Most pilots are considered tools right? :rofl:

Haven't worn a watch since my cell phone became a permanent fixture. I like watches; just never seem to find the "time" or need to put it on.

The comment regarding terms like "watch your six" is true. My 18-year old kids don't get that concept at all. They have always had digital clocks on their cell phones, alarm clocks, and the principal home time piece - the microwave. Once my kids generation becomes the majority pilots they will have to change the lingo. Probably start using X-Box terminology or 'texting' acronyms - WYS

I feel naked without a watch. I like being able to know what time it is without having to fumble with my Blackberry. Plus, I just think they are cool little wrist machines, with lots of gears, springs, and precision to them.

I feel naked without a watch. I like being able to know what time it is without having to fumble with my Blackberry. Plus, I just think they are cool little wrist machines, with lots of gears, springs, and precision to them.

If you think it's even cooler to have an ELT in it then this is the watch for you. Wanna buy mine? It's been serviced only by Breitling and I'd prolly let it go for something around $4K. All the original stuff (test fixture, manuals etc).

If you think it's even cooler to have an ELT in it then this is the watch for you. Wanna buy mine? It's been serviced only by Breitling and I'd prolly let it go for something around $4K. All the original stuff (test fixture, manuals etc).

If you sell it you had better notify breitling. You have to sign a contract with them you buy it saying you are liable for it up to 100k. Your wife may not remember signing it.(but she did) They say you can not sell it b/c of that fact. They meaning breitling.

If you sell it you had better notify breitling. You have to sign a contract with them you buy it saying you are liable for it up to 100k. Your wife may not remember signing it.(but she did) They say you can not sell it b/c of that fact. They meaning breitling.

I've heard this too.

I prefer mechanical watches, and I believe the Emergency is quartz correct. I have a older Breitling Chronomat that I bought new in 1988, and it sits in its case. I prefer others now. Not a bad watch though.

I would guess that you just have to re-register the ELT to the new owner and it's no worries. I'll keep it (my wife gave it to me for a present) unless it just becomes really easy to swap it for something I think suits me better.

I would guess that you just have to re-register the ELT to the new owner and it's no worries. I'll keep it (my wife gave it to me for a present) unless it just becomes really easy to swap it for something I think suits me better.

just if you ever do, look into it for your good

Back