Breaking the seal on 2020

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
I live in an urban area within the surface area of the Phoenix Class B, so up to now I hadn't been able to get any good photos of the old homestead. I figured this would be an opportunity to catch the TRACON on a slow day and get some decent photos, and it worked out well.

I got to the airport early, fired up and called ground control a little before 0800 local. The airport is usually jumping by that time of day, but the controller confirmed that I was GYR's first customer of 2020.

Weather was clear and temperature just above freezing. But in some areas there was a low-lying smoke layer, which I assume was from smudge pots in the ag areas south of town to keep crops from freezing. Fortunately it didn't affect the views of downtown.

I got the "West Transition" through the Bravo northbound, and ATC gave me an early turn and descent north of KPHX so i could photograph the neighborhood.

Nice way to kick off 2020.

I started 2020 by making toast for my barfing wife. LOL.

No. She didn’t drink.

Yay 2020! :)

Q. Can you log a flight as IFR if it goes over your house?

A. Yes. Just check the box that says "Over the 'hood."

I started 2020 by making toast for my barfing wife. LOL.

No. She didn’t drink.

Yay 2020! :)

It had been many years since I barfed on New Year's Eve. A horrible little stomach virus ended that streak this(last?) year. I still haven't eaten anything substantial in 2020, some crackers and dry cereal. Eff this year, so far.

It started on the 28th for my wife. By new year's eve, I was feeling like I dodged that sickness and ate half a pizza for dinner. An hour later I, quite painfully, barfed up that half a pizza and life has been hell since. I still have no appetite and feel soft and weak as Cottonelle.

It's been a great year so far: on my first official piece of paperwork this morning, I actually correctly typed out "January 02, 2020"! Usually it's late in the month by the time I've got it down pat.

Cool pics! In that last one I can see my 2 favorite joints in PHX; Angels Trumpet Alehouse for beers and then the Public Market Cafe for breakfast... home made Pop Tarts, yum. But, on my last overnight there I found the AZ Wilderness DTPHX beer garden... that has the potential to become my new happy place. Cool neighborhood you're in.

Cool pics! In that last one I can see my 2 favorite joints in PHX; Angels Trumpet Alehouse for beers and then the Public Market Cafe for breakfast... home made Pop Tarts, yum. But, on my last overnight there I found the AZ Wilderness DTPHX beer garden... that has the potential to become my new happy place. Cool neighborhood you're in.
Nice! It's a great neighborhood. Wilderness DTPHX is just a couple blocks from us; we can see it from our balcony. We haven't been there yet, mainly because they don't have sports on TV, and Mrs. Pilawt needs her sports! :D

Our favorite restaurant, Fez, is right across the street from us. There's a good new breakfast joint, Snooze, in the ground floor of The Stewart apartment building (the tall building with the square yellow thing on the top), across the street from Public Market.

About ten years ago I was going back and forth from Bonham, NE of the DFW area, to Grand Prairie, underneath the South part of the veil. I learned that if I got off the ground well before 8AM I could contact East Approach and they would bore me straight through to GP. Wait until 8, however and all bets were off. The morning flying is tops for me. Smooth air, peaceful and I’m a morning person anyway.

Back