astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
From today's AIN Alerts:

AIN Alerts said:
DHS Report: No Need for TSA to Regulate GA Security
The Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Inspector General released a report on “TSA’s Role in General Aviation Security” that concludes: “We determined that general aviation presents only limited and mostly hypothetical threats to security.” The report notes that while the TSA’s Office of Intelligence (OI) “has identified several organizations that have shown an interest in using GA to obtain flight training or to launch attacks…it has concluded that most GA aircraft are too light to inflict significant damage, and has not identified specific imminent threats from GA aircraft. OI has also concluded that there is no credible threat of crop-dusting aircraft being used to spread chemical or biological agents. OI also stated that the potential for a terrorist group to use GA aircraft to conduct an attack remains a possibility that cannot be ignored.”

Read more at http://www.ainalerts.com/ainalerts/alerts/061809_PF.html

Cheers,

-Andrew

That won't stop the bashers.

Remember that Disney got their TFR law when all of the agencies said the same.

The major sports leagues will never allow the stadium TFRs to go away.

OK...I'm going to say it, 'cause I know it's coming...

Why does the DHS IG hate America? :D

DHS IG said:
OI also stated that the potential for a terrorist group to use GA aircraft to conduct an attack remains a possibility that cannot be ignored.”

Really? That line alone will kill us

The agency heads are not bound to the IG.

The IG acts to deflect criticism (this time from Congress) of the agency. This is a very narrow, political, statement that basically says "Back Off, we know what we're doing".... which is no surprise coming from an agency that thinks it's running the country.

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0609/061709kp1.htm
Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, asked the IG to investigate after a Houston television station alleged "security breaches" occurred at three local airports when reporters were able to approach airfields or aircraft without identifying themselves.
In a direct reference to the television report, titled, "Is Houston a Sitting Duck for Terrorism?" the watchdog's report contains a section titled "Houston Is Not a 'Sitting Duck for Terrorism.' "

The local radio station morning DJ described how he was going through Security at the airport and had a full bottle of water... as he was in line, a flight crew was going past in the quick line and noticed his bottle of water, commented that he'd not be able to take it through, asked if he'd opened it yet--he showed them the unopened seal. The flight crew offered to take it through security for him... and they DID. Gave it back to him on the other side of the security checkpoint, according to his version of the story. He mentioned he wondered if he was being "profiled" ('hmm, this is damn peculiar...'), and wondered why they'd do this, and if they could get fired for it.

The local radio station morning DJ described how he was going through Security at the airport and had a full bottle of water... as he was in line, a flight crew was going past in the quick line and noticed his bottle of water, commented that he'd not be able to take it through, asked if he'd opened it yet--he showed them the unopened seal. The flight crew offered to take it through security for him... and they DID. Gave it back to him on the other side of the security checkpoint, according to his version of the story. He mentioned he wondered if he was being "profiled" ('hmm, this is damn peculiar...'), and wondered why they'd do this, and if they could get fired for it.

Well, many (most, in my experience) professional flight crew are pilots, like us only with bigger... ummm.... logbooks.

To quote one skilled professional pilot, "This TSA crap has gotten out of hand..."

They were "...able to approach airfields or aircraft without identifying themselves."

What gives?!?!?

Perhaps we should be required to loudly cry "Human approaching airplane!!" within 100' of any aircraft?
So one Houston TV station followed the consultant's standard recipe for a sweeps week "investigative report" and took it seriously enough to go to congress with it?

We need to do one showing how easy it is to rent Ryder trucks and vans of any size - you know the weapons that have actually been used by terrorist bombers in the U.S - twice.

One of us who has our name on the no-fly list should go to Ryder, rent a truck, then call the news stations and inform them that even though we are on the no fly list we can buy fertilzer, fuel oil, and a rent a ryder truck.

Bet that Houston TV station won't do a story on the DHS IG report.

One of us who has our name on the no-fly list should go to Ryder, rent a truck, then call the news stations and inform them that even though we are on the no fly list we can buy fertilzer, fuel oil, and a rent a ryder truck.
I nominate myself. I'm pretty sure I'm on the list. I'll need a legal defense team. Oh, and a film crew.

I nominate myself. I'm pretty sure I'm on the list. I'll need a legal defense team. Oh, and a film crew.

We've got no fewer than 5 lawyers on the board. Plus, why would you need a defense team? I'm not saying to blow anything up, just get the necessary things needed. Seriously, the only way to fix this thing is to show that other avenues are a threat and get those larger lobby groups to get the DHS/TSA, etc... to back off.

Plus, why would you need a defense team? I'm not saying to blow anything up, just get the necessary things needed.

Umm... isn't that conspiracy or atleast close to it?

Seriously, the only way to fix this thing is to show that other avenues are a threat and get those larger lobby groups to get the DHS/TSA, etc... to back off.

In fairness, other terrestrial threats are easier to guard against since they operate in 2D, not 3D like planes. Most big buildings now have post around them capable of stopping vehicles. Unless one makes the worlds largest shaped charge, the bigger fed & office buildings are somewhat hardened against the ryder truck.

Umm... isn't that conspiracy or atleast close to it?

In fairness, other terrestrial threats are easier to guard against since they operate in 2D, not 3D like planes. Most big buildings now have post around them capable of stopping vehicles. Unless one makes the worlds largest shaped charge, the bigger fed & office buildings are somewhat hardened against the ryder truck.

If you are documenting the whole thing and turn it into the local news station, I don't see much of a conspiracy going on. Around here, the Fed buildings are still pretty accessible. Pilots are NEVER going to win the fight. The only way is to get the bigger lobby groups on our side.

1/500 doesn't even get noticed. 1/5 does.

You might wish to re-visit the photos of the Oklahoma City bombing.

That was done from the street.

You might wish to re-visit the photos of the Oklahoma City bombing.

That was done from the street.

And WTC 1 was done from the underground basement garage, minus on the Z axis. We just saw again on 60 minutes that Ramsey Youseff hates seeing female prison guards.

Back