Breaking 12/7 - Passenger Shot and Killed on jetway

HPNPilot1200 said:
Watching live coverage on NBC6. I'll tell ya this much, this doesn't help us out one bit :no::dunno:
Not sure how it hurts us. It might be more of a reflection upon airport security.

The guy didn't have a bomb, so there will be cries of outrage that an innocent man was killed over a harmless prank.

Nevermind that it was one of the darned most foolish things he could have done at an airport and that, as someone else has pointed out elsewhere, he's not a Darwin Award Candidate...it will be all over the news that he was innocent and those bad bad marshals did wrong.

But how does that reflect on GA?

Greebo said:
Not sure how it hurts us. It might be more of a reflection upon airport security.

The guy didn't have a bomb, so there will be cries of outrage that an innocent man was killed over a harmless prank.

Nevermind that it was one of the darned most foolish things he could have done at an airport and that, as someone else has pointed out elsewhere, he's not a Darwin Award Candidate...it will be all over the news that he was innocent and those bad bad marshals did wrong.

But how does that reflect on GA?
Not to get political, but briefly look back at 9-11. It wasn't caused by GA, yet effected us ultimately with increased airspace and security burdens such as the ADIZ. Even though the general public don't know what we know, they will want an ADIZ and Class B airspace over their house because of this as well as the other tiny incidents the media reports as being an amazingly HUGE story. It's the media and congressional officials (that believe what the media says) that ultimately hurt us.

Last edited:
You should never bluff when the other guy is holding a full house or a Glock with a full magazine!
Score; Air Marshall 1, Dumb A$$ 0.

Greebo said:

As long as the story that he claimed to have a bomb and was reaching for something in the bag hold up there should not be any outrage. It was justified.

smigaldi said:
As long as the story that he claimed to have a bomb and was reaching for something in the bag hold up there should not be any outrage. It was justified.
You know that. I know that. But John Q Hysteria and Freedy Hates the Current Administration will still use it like that.

Dean said:
You should never bluff when the other guy is holding a full house or a Glock with a full magazine!
Score; Air Marshall 1, Dumb A$$ 0.
No one wins in this. And the story is coming out that the pax was off his meds for a mental illness.

My concern is why would this guy do what he did? Was he goaded into it? Was there another pax who sat quietly and watched how it all came down so to report back to his bosses in the cartel? Don't be too quick to dismiss such thoughts, several of the hijackers in the '70s used that same strategy as part of their planning.

The first part of the investigation should be to arrest all pax for questioning.

Richard said:
No one wins in this. And the story is coming out that the pax was off his meds for a mental illness.

My concern is why would this guy do what he did? Was he goaded into it? .

The story says he arrived in Miami and went through customs and then boarded the same plane. If you have arrived on an international flight and connected through Miami you may know that place can drive you crazy.

But seriously, even if he was triple dogged dared to say he had a bomb the Air Marshals have to react as though he was telling the truth.

My brother in law is Schizophrenic. He is well controlled but sometimes just laughs for no reason and talks to himself on occasion. We have flown him once commercially and it was scary for him. He was really afraid that people were going to harm him because of his illness. So were we frankly. We notified the airlines and tried to do our best to keep him calm. But the airlines have no ability to document these things. Now we just don't fly him to be safe unless he is accompanied. That means one of use flies to Las Vegas, picks him up and then jumps on a plane again to fly back here.

So does that mean the airport can be held liable? I mean, you said it could drive one crazy. I write this somewhat tongue in cheek but still there is a valid concern.

The airlines make allowances for unaccompanied children, physical disabled pax and such, are you saying the airlines could not do the same or mentally disabled pax?

Richard said:
So does that mean the airport can be held liable? I mean, you said it could drive one crazy. I write this somewhat tongue in cheek but still there is a valid concern.

The airlines make allowances for unaccompanied children, physical disabled pax and such, are you saying the airlines could not do the same or mentally disabled pax?

They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say let em crash.

not seriously. We wont know full details for a while. so speculation is the most dangerous part right now with the media.

Back