Bread Maker- Does Metallurgy Matter?

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Thinking of purchasing a bread making machine for....making bread, obviously.

Most of the pans that come with the machine are an aluminum alloy and some employ Teflon. We've since dispensed with our aluminum and Teflon cookware. We favor Stainless Steel, glass and lastly ceramic.

It got me thinking...(it's been awhile since I've been in HS Chemistry) but is there any risk of aluminum ions debonding under convective heat and thereby transferring to the bread?

Anyone have a recommendation of a machine that doesn't contain either material? Only one we have found thus far is made and distributed in the U.K. only, American standards do not appear to be as concerned with "trivial" things. (/sarcasm)

I've never seen one here that isn't aluminum. But they are coated with some sort of non-stick coating (not Teflon) so the aluminum doesn't touch the bread.

:dunno:

John

I don't know that you could transfer enough aluminum through cookware to make a difference, unless you have some sort of intolerance to it. The allowable limits for aluminum in your drinking water would be an order of magnitude higher.

Living near DC there are a hell of a lot more things I'd worry about than aluminum bread pans. :D (sarcasm intended)

That said, I've baked bread in aluminum pans since forever and I ain't dead yet. :no:

The aluminum coming from cookware is the least of your worries, especially in an overcrowded place like DC. We've used them for decades and we seem all right. certainly no symptoms of aluminum poisoning.

We've used a Cuisinart bread maker for years and I recommend it. The pan is elongate so the loaf looks vaguely break like. It beeps when its time to remove the paddle, my favorite feature. That way if I'm around to get it out I wind up with bread that doesn't have a big gash in the middle. And I can make the breads I want, including yummy sourdoughs.

You can always dump the dough into a normal bread pan and bake it in the oven.

Back